Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 12:32 AM

854 posts, read 1,482,152 times

Advertisements

I know the race stuff is stupid and all but I'm wondering what people think. My half siblings have some diluted White Hispanic, Cherokee and Apache in them but they look just as pale and European as I do.

Do you think it has to be a substantial amount, like at least 1/4? Or is any amount, even 1/16 or 1/64 of a different race enough to honestly call yourself multiracial?

Old 07-03-2014, 05:29 AM

15,631 posts, read 10,386,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spicymeatball View Post
Do you think it has to be a substantial amount, like at least 1/4? Or is any amount, even 1/16 or 1/64 of a different race enough to honestly call yourself multiracial?
Ask Elizabeth Warren. With no proof of having a Cherokee and Delaware Indian heritage, Warren first listed herself as a minority in the Association of American Law Schools Directory of Faculty in 1986, the year before she joined the faculty of the University of Pennsylvania Law School. She continued to list herself as a minority until 1995, the year she accepted a tenured position at Harvard Law School.

From what I've read, the New England Historic Genealogical Society found a family newsletter that alluded to a marriage-license application supposedly listing Warren’s great-great-great grandmother as part Cherokee. What percentage of Cherokee would that make Ms. Warren assuming the family story was true?

Old 07-03-2014, 05:36 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,206,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spicymeatball View Post
I know the race stuff is stupid and all but I'm wondering what people think. My half siblings have some diluted White Hispanic, Cherokee and Apache in them but they look just as pale and European as I do.

Well, the Stormfronters usually make the cutoff 1/16th. But I know people who are 1/4th "non-white" who look whiter than me.

I suppose the question here is, what are you trying to do? Prove that you are mixed? Or are you trying to see if the Stormfronters would accept your half-siblings as white?

As a general rule, if you look white and claim to be white. You are white.

If you look mixed, and claim to be mixed. You are mixed.

If you don't look mixed, but claim to be mixed, you are going to have people questioning you.

My nephew claims he is part black on his dad's side(as in the side not related to me). But I know his grandparents and great-grandparents were whiter than me. So, I figured he was at best 1/32nd or 1/64th black, if at all(there is no proof, just an old story).

But really, at 1/8th, race is almost unnoticeable. At 1/16th it is unnoticeable.

Old 07-03-2014, 05:37 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,927,795 times
Depends on who you talk to, OP. There are white supremacists who, will consider her to be mixed race, I think some of them subscribe to the one drop rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
Well, the Stormfronters usually make the cutoff 1/16th. But I know people who are 1/4th "non-white" who look whiter than me.

I suppose the question here is, what are you trying to do? Prove that you are mixed? Or are you trying to see if the Stormfronters would accept your half-siblings as white?

As a general rule, if you look white and claim to be white. You are white.

If you look mixed, and claim to be mixed. You are mixed.

If you don't look mixed, but claim to be mixed, you are going to have people questioning you.

My nephew claims he is part black on his dad's side(as in the side not related to me). But I know his grandparents and great-grandparents were whiter than me. So, I figured he was at best 1/32nd or 1/64th black, if at all(there is no proof, just an old story).

But really, at 1/8th, race is almost unnoticeable. At 1/16th it is unnoticeable.
What about at 1/64th?

Old 07-03-2014, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Ask Elizabeth Warren. With no proof of having a Cherokee and Delaware Indian heritage, Warren first listed herself as a minority in the Association of American Law Schools Directory of Faculty in 1986, the year before she joined the faculty of the University of Pennsylvania Law School. She continued to list herself as a minority until 1995, the year she accepted a tenured position at Harvard Law School.

From what I've read, the New England Historic Genealogical Society found a family newsletter that alluded to a marriage-license application supposedly listing Warren’s great-great-great grandmother as part Cherokee. What percentage of Cherokee would that make Ms. Warren assuming the family story was true?

I am not aware of the government placing a minimum blood quantum level for being legally considered an American-Indian(and thus a minority). I know people who are like 1/1024th American-Indian, and are considered "NDN" by the government, if they simply check the box.

Old 07-03-2014, 05:53 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
IMHO Claiming to be Human will do. We, if you go back far enough, are all of "Mixed Race".

Old 07-03-2014, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Depends on who you talk to, OP. There are white supremacists who, will consider her to be mixed race, I think some of them subscribe to the one drop rule

What about at 1/64th?

Well, from the Stormfront website. If people look at you and see nothing but Caucasian, and you think of yourself only as white, then you are white. The Stormfronters claim the cutoff is 1/16th. But they wouldn't really care if someone was more as long as they looked the part, and acted the part(they couldn't prove it anyway).

It is about "nationalism", they are trying to create their "nation" of white people. Not so much because they really think white people are that much different/better. But rather because they basically want an entire nation of "people like them", which are "different" than the people of other nations.

Nationalism is mostly used for promoting "cooperation" through unity. It is just an extension of the tribal mentality. The real problem is, nationalism either only exists, or is strongest where there is "conflict".

In the same way that your favorite football team is sort of conflicting with other football teams. Then when you go to the stadium to watch them, you are basically standing with other members of your "tribe", against the other tribe. And how that gives you a place, and a camaraderie with the people around you.

You work together(like with chants and boos and just being loud), to defeat the other tribe. Your tribe "needs you".

The problem of course is, where you have tribes, conflict, and competition; You have violence.

Old 07-03-2014, 06:21 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
People only worry about race if they are afraid of standing alone. Real individuals do not need a Tribe.

Old 07-10-2014, 01:17 PM

322 posts, read 707,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
I am not aware of the government placing a minimum blood quantum level for being legally considered an American-Indian(and thus a minority). I know people who are like 1/1024th American-Indian, and are considered "NDN" by the government, if they simply check the box.
That statement is incorrect.

1. The tribe sets the blood quantum or descent for enrollemnt. A few tribes have matrilineal lineage only. This is tribal blood from tribal rolls.

2. Your statement in bold is incorrect. There are some tribes such as the Cherokee Nation of OK or the Creek Nation for example that have enrollment by "lineal" discent to certain tribal rolls (i.e. Dawes Rolls), not degree of Indian Blood as noted on the CDIB card. They are not considered "Indian" by simply checking marking the box. They are legally Indian becuase they are ernrolled tribal memebers of federally recognized tribes. Citizenship and descent are two different things.

Old 07-10-2014, 01:27 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,583,124 times
Personally, I don't care. Claim whatever you identify with, and I'll consider you that. If it doesn't meet some criterion, it doesn't hurt me at all. If you're using it in some way to do something fraudulent, then that's a different question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies