Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2014, 05:34 AM

553 posts, read 595,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fancy-Schmancy View Post
So yeah, North Dakota's doing great...until the oil runs out. And even if it doesn't, who the heck wants to live there?
Nebraska has almost no oil, just a few small wells in the western part of the state. It's just a rinky dink little farm state--most of it given to cattle (humans don't eat field corn), an industry hit hard by Mad Cow disease (though almost no cattle were affected and practically all that were came from Canada). And there had been several years of Drought. (Contrary to popular urban belief farm subsidies barely cover expenses and leave no profit and none of that money goes to the ag impliment dealers, the feritlizer salesmen, the companies that make these products or the food processing plants--which means a lot of ag-related businesses had to lay people off.) Yet despite all of that the Nebraska state government had a $100 Million budget surplus going into Obama's Recession--one of only three states that was not in debt and the only one with such a large surplus, ten times bigger than the next state with a surplus. Nebraska is everything the Liberal Elite hate and look down their noses upon, yet every Nebraskan knows why this is one of the four slogans our state is known by: "Nebraska, Home of the Good Life".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2014, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAllenDoudna View Post
this is one of the four slogans our state is known by: "Nebraska, Home of the Good Life".
In case you're wondering, the other three are:

The Cornhusker State

The Beef State

Nebraska, where the West begins

Old 07-04-2014, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Oh, of course. There are no poor white people in the South, I forgot. It's only the Negro, as Clive Bundy and any other neo-Confederate would put it, that skews the numbers.
And there are no Poor White People Up North? Ever hear the term "trailer park trash"?

Why are so many Blacks in Poverty? Turns out nearly all Blacks in Poverty are in single-parent households. In nearly every case a Black girl got pregnant and had a child out of wedlock. Now that didn't used to be, not until the Great Society Programs came along and the Black father was replaced by a Welfare Check. Not only was a Black girl rewarded for getting pregnant out of wedlock, she would loose that check if Welfare learned she had a man in the house--and she may even be required to pay that money back. And so generation after generation of Blacks have been locked into Poverty ever since--not by Evil, Conservative White Republicans but by Liberal Democrats who have destroyed the Black family in order to enslave Blacks into voting for Democrats.

It turns out those Blacks who marry and have two-parent households live at the same economic leval as Whites.

Old 07-04-2014, 06:10 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
Detroit failed because the private sector executives moved production to the rural areas in anti-union states or suburbs closer to the executives homes. Liberalism did not destroy Detroit. the private sector certainly did.

Old 07-04-2014, 06:34 AM

4,582 posts, read 3,407,702 times
You answer lies in the metric you use: Liberals gage the effectiveness of government in it's ability to raise people out of poverty by giving them money from others, conservatives (not necessarily republicans) gage effectiveness of government by it's ability to create an atmosphere where you can improve yourself if you actually work at it. You metric does not allow for areas where given the chance, people still just won't try.

Old 07-04-2014, 07:43 AM

37,801 posts, read 41,003,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
The South Is Essentially A Solid, Grim Block Of Poverty

Why is it that the worst performing states financially are primarily Republican states? If their ideas had any merit would we not see a bettering of conditions rather than the worsening conditions that prevail?
You can afford to live here on less income if you are poor. It's also one of the reasons why the Southeast is attractive to retirees. Remember, the federal government uses income only to measure poverty.

Let me give you some examples.

I retired 7 years ago in suburban Maryland after 12 years there and moved to Tennessee to a brand new apartment complex also in suburbia. In Maryland I had a one bedroom, one bathroom apartment in a nice suburban town. In Tennessee, I have a 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom apartment in a nice suburban town. After 7 years, my rent in Tennessee for a twice as big apartment, is still less than what I was paying in Maryland 7 years ago.

I have been back to Maryland a few times since I moved and always pay more for gas there. Gasoline is cheaper in Tennessee on average. According to Gas Buddy it's currently 23 cents a gallon cheaper.

Emissions testing for your car is only required if you live in the counties of Tennessee's 4 biggest cities and motorcycles are exempt.

Have kids? All of our 55 state parks are free. Free to enter and no charge for parking. (I believe there is a charge to camp.) Often, the park rangers conduct free nature activities. Beginning in April and ending in October, it's not hard to find a free festival in a town near where you live. In fact, some weekends you'd have to choose between free festivals in your area.

Kentucky, Arkansas, Louisiana, North Carolina, South Carolina, Missouri, Virginia, Alabama, Georgia and Tennessee all have lower than the national average electric rates (price per kilowatt hour).

Annual Electricity Price Comparison by State

No state income tax in my state although dividends and interest are taxed. We do have sales tax.

Cost of Living: Mississippi, Tennessee, Kentucky are the Top 3 cheapest states. Housing is cheapest in those 3 states. Also in the Cost of Living Top 10 are Georgia, Arkansas and Alabama.

Cost of Living First Quarter 2014

This is not a "my state is better than your state" post. These are just some examples of why someone with lower income can afford to live here. In other words, because the feds only measure poverty by income, they don't take into account that someone who makes $24,000 per year can live better here than they can in the northeast or the west coast.

Old 07-04-2014, 08:08 AM

5,576 posts, read 7,997,640 times
Southern states were basketcases when they were run by liberals during certain periods of the last century, and deep-blue New York and California have sky-high poverty rates. The group of states that are in the best shape in the country, who show up in just about every ranking of fiscal, economic, and social health, are dominated by non-southern red states. "Right-wing ideas" are working extremely well in Nebraska, the Dakotas, Alaska, and Wyoming, so why don't we hear about these states versus New York and California instead of Vermont and Washington versus the South? The best-run states in the country with the best economies are those non-southern red states, so instead of obsessing over the South we should look at what those good states are doing right and construct a similar program for other states.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
LOL! Thanks for the laugh you keep telling yourself that if it makes you feel better at night
Although segregation is hardly a liberal policy, there actually were plenty of otherwise quite liberal people in favor of segregation in the early 20th century. These people usually tied into the eugenics movement more than traditionalism, but eugenics and scientific racism were often used by right-wing types as well to justify segregation.

Quote:
Oh, of course. There are no poor white people in the South, I forgot. It's only the Negro, as Clive Bundy and any other neo-Confederate would put it, that skews the numbers.
Do you care to provide any evidence that Cliven Bundy has the least bit of interest in resurrecting the Confederacy as an independent nation as "neo-Confederates" do? Any evidence that Cliven Bundy has ever espoused specifically pro-Southern* or Southern nationalist views? Any evidence that he has ever even had the least bit of interest in the South at all?

I suppose Martin Luther King and Thurgood Marshall were secretly neo-Confederates because they self-identified as Negro , as do some older blacks to this day; the 2010 Census included the term "negro" because of this. Cliven Bundy was talking about how the poverty and poor conditions of black people caused and/or exacerbated (in his view) by government was reducing them to a horrid state where they have as much freedom and opportunity as slaves did, and would be even worse off since even as slaves they still had a family and work to do, something they would not have in government neo-slavery. He was drawing a parallel with the federal government wrecking black communities and the federal government wrecking ranchers and everyone else of every skin color, but of course that didn't stop apostles of genocide (apparently and sadly including you) from attempting to use that to justify mass murder of hundreds of peaceable people because they were a different political affiliation and did not unquestioningly submit the entirety of their life and property to the federal government like a good slave should. Cliven Bundy and the militia who came out to defend him from an army of criminals were the modern embodiment of a (unfortunately still-) revolutionary concept you and everyone else should be celebrating on this day:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Henry
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, Give me Liberty, or give me Death!
This Independence Day we obviously still have a long way to go before we even taste the full and true power of the transformative revolutionary ideal that America was created by Founders like Patrick Henry to fulfill and by the power of America's example spread worldwide until everyone is free from bondage to rulers or masters, able to be masters of themselves and in so doing create a more prosperous and fulfilling way of life for themselves and their descendants.

*I say "specifically pro-Southern" because there are plenty of people (such as these) who believe far smaller and more numerous countries than we have now would lead to better and more competitive government as well as better economic prospects. This implies that the South would become one or more independent countries, but not because of any line of reasoning relating to the South any more than any other region of the world. It would be more like "Kleinstaaterei meets EFTA/Schengen" than a resurrection of the Confederacy. In fact, the South under such plans would more resemble the Holy Roman Empire or Renaissance Italy rather than the US or CS.

Old 07-04-2014, 08:14 AM

30,063 posts, read 18,660,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
The South Is Essentially A Solid, Grim Block Of Poverty

Why is it that the worst performing states financially are primarily Republican states? If their ideas had any merit would we not see a bettering of conditions rather than the worsening conditions that prevail?

See North Dakota

Old 07-04-2014, 09:47 AM

12,149 posts, read 8,416,274 times
It's always fun to see the party of the common man brag about how rich their blue states are while denigrating the poor common men they represent....

California is skewed. We all know it. Outside of LA and SF, the average income here is not much higher or lower than anyplace else in the country.

Old 07-04-2014, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Detroit failed because the private sector executives moved production to the rural areas in anti-union states or suburbs closer to the executives homes. Liberalism did not destroy Detroit. the private sector certainly did.
No, it was Liberalism. More correctly, it was the unions from whom Liberals derive major support which Liberals reward when they win elections. The Unions demanded pay of $40 an hour, the retension of obsolete jobs, and lavish fringe benefits. All these costs priced Union Labor out of the market. Get out into the rural areas and here was all this perfectly good labor eager to work for $15 an hour and reasonable about what they expected in benefits. Management did the sensible thing and took the jobs to people who appreciated them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies