Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 07:00 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,219,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
I told you why,because there was a bar right across the street from the plant,and the idiots allowed the workers to leave the plant grounds on their breaks and guess where they went? Then they went back on the assembly line "three sheets to the wind"! I know the vast majority of the workers there were dope users[prescription drugs too] and or drunks! A niece of one of the CEOs said to get away from those sorry---addicts/drunks is why they relocated the plant out of state.

And there is no doubt whatsoever if you think otherwise about America's workforce, you are only deluding yourself,as you will soon see,when those plants also close.
I work in a paper mill. We employee 2800 souls. Odd but we don't have a drug or alcohol problem. The plant has been here for 47 years I believe. We are the benchmark manufacturing sight for Procter and Gamble. Sshhh even more productive than the one in Mexico, the Phillippines and Germany.
Letting people off company property.
For lunch or for break?
At least where I work we are not paid for lunch, you are free to spend that half hour anywhere you like. The company doesn't have a right to stop you.
Come back drunk, high or unfit to work you risk your job.
0 tolerance for drug or alcohol abuse. Get hurt or damage equipment you will be tested.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2014, 07:04 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
Quote:
So how many American workers are stealing their paychecks from their employers by not even giving an honest day's work?Americans need to take a good hard look in the mirror,and see how much blame for the collapse of American society is their own fault.

I also have been told that the Ford car plant here closed because of the sorry workforce and refusal of the union to accept the cuts the company wanted. I know if I was a manufacturing plant owner I would not want the drug and alcohol addicted American workforce to make anything for my company! Quality in American made products is pretty much non existent today with so much of the workforce on every drug imaginable and/or alcohol as well!

My son is a machinist/programmer and he said it's scary the crap quality parts that leave the shop!No wonder they keep losing contracts,is it?

American workers have thrown away the manufacturing jobs because of their drug and alcohol addictions! Do you want to drive a car they built[recall after recall after recall]... or drive over a bridge they built?

19 Statistics About The Drugging Of America That Are Almost Too Crazy To Believe
The American people are the most drugged people in the history of the planet. Illegal drugs get most of the headlines, but the truth is that the number of Americans that are addicted to legal drugs is far greater than the number of Americans that are addicted to illegal drugs.

19 Statistics About The Drugging Of America That Are Almost Too Crazy To Believe
Much truth in what u say but even if u take away all drugs and alcohol most post boomers are not work ready
The beautiful exception are the kids that show up every year to work in Alaska real Americans

Old 07-03-2014, 07:07 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,163,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad3 View Post
I don't hate unions but perhaps American unions are out of control.
This ^^^, I gotta disagree on. America's manufacturing problems can no longer be laid at the feet of unions or union workers. Only 6% of private sector jobs are union. So, the problem HAS to exist elsewhere.

I suggest people start looking to Management who are all learning the same failed policies and practices from all the schools that teach the same failed theories.

Go into almost any corporate job these days and tell me the decisions being made - if they are not criminal - are not absolutely mindbogglingly stupid.

Old 07-03-2014, 07:08 PM

Quote:
There was no drug testing done at the Ford plant here, before they relocated in 2005. I know several who would have lost their jobs if there had been!

Don't know how prevalent drug testing is in manufacturing jobs today,since most workers I know are now retired. Maybe they will be the salvation of jobs now,but I stand by that DRUG/ALCOHOL use was the cause of many company owners looking elsewhere.

Guess most are too young to have ever seen the movie[1986] Gung Ho.
Amazon.com: Gung Ho: Michael Keaton, Gedde Watanabe, George Wendt, Mimi Rogers, John Turturro, Sô Yamamura, Sab Shimono, Rick Overton, Clint Howard, Jihmi Kennedy, Michelle Johnson, Rodney Kageyama, Ron Howard, Babaloo Mandel, Deborah Blum, Jan R. Ll
Procter and Gamble, Dupont, Johnson and Johnson Kimberly Clark to name a few have similar policies. Union plants operate under different guidelines but are still accountable. In the corporations I listed. I know this because all 4 compare policies, benefits and pay to remain competitive with each other.
Manufacturing left the USA because of poor trade agreements and countries like China being able to produce for pennies on the dollar. If we paid people in silicone valley $10 an hour they still wouldn't be able to compete.
Another factor is the massive salaries paid to American CEO's compared to their foreign counterparts.
We had 1 after lying to the shareholders and causing our stocks to crash get paid a 14 million dollar termination bonus. Insane.

Old 07-03-2014, 07:08 PM

8,665 posts, read 5,846,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
I work in a paper mill. We employee 2800 souls. Odd but we don't have a drug or alcohol problem. The plant has been here for 47 years I believe. We are the benchmark manufacturing sight for Procter and Gamble. Sshhh even more productive than the one in Mexico, the Phillippines and Germany.
Letting people off company property.
For lunch or for break?
At least where I work we are not paid for lunch, you are free to spend that half hour anywhere you like. The company doesn't have a right to stop you.
Come back drunk, high or unfit to work you risk your job.
0 tolerance for drug or alcohol abuse. Get hurt or damage equipment you will be tested.

Well my late husband was a crane operator in the steel mill here which used to employ over 8,000 and now only has a workforce of a couple thousand. The entire parking lots are fenced[as was the Ford plant] and no one is allowed off the grounds during lunch or breaks.

My husbands knew several guys who arrived at work high or drunk,especially those on the 3-11PM Shift.No drug tests there either in those days. He died in '98. I believe my other SIL said they have them now.

Old 07-03-2014, 07:09 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
A nice rant, except that the manufacturing that has been offshored is stuff that requires no skill and could easily be done by someone who just smoked an entire forest of weed (though they might not crank out as much). When I want to buy something complex or high quality, it usually comes from the US, Germany, or some other highly developed country.

Old 07-03-2014, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Well my late husband was a crane operator in the steel mill here which used to employ over 8,000 and now only has a workforce of a couple thousand. The entire parking lots are fenced[as was the Ford plant] and no one is allowed off the grounds during lunch or breaks.
The steel mills were among the first victims of bad trade agreements and new tough EPA regulations. They also suffered from a Union choke hold. PA once land of the steel mills and coal mines is no more. I honestly hope that your husband retired before the mills all closed and that he had his own retirement account. I have a friend whose dad worked in Allentown in a big mill. No one believed that it would ever shut down, not even until the end. They all thought it was a bluff. First German steel then Japanese steel, now chinese steel. It is sad actually.

Old 07-03-2014, 07:18 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
As someone who spends a lot of time hiring people, it is disturbing to see the low quality employee you can get even for jobs paying 25 bucks an hour.

Old 07-03-2014, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
As someone who spends a lot of time hiring people, it is disturbing to see the low quality employee you can get even for jobs paying 25 bucks an hour.
The new hires that I see are a mixed bag. When I was hired we all in my group felt like we had won the lottery. Out of the 16 in my group only 1 lost their job.
Today we average just about a 40% attrition rate. Swing shift seems to be too much for the younger folk LOL.
That said what does impress me is how fast they seem to be able to learn.

Old 07-03-2014, 07:34 PM

8,665 posts, read 5,846,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
The steel mills were among the first victims of bad trade agreements and new tough EPA regulations. They also suffered from a Union choke hold. PA once land of the steel mills and coal mines is no more. I honestly hope that your husband retired before the mills all closed and that he had his own retirement account. I have a friend whose dad worked in Allentown in a big mill. No one believed that it would ever shut down, not even until the end. They all thought it was a bluff. First German steel then Japanese steel, now chinese steel. It is sad actually.
No he only had 24 years in,but yet I receive 50% of what he would have drawn if he had retired. Thankfully great insurances including mortgage insurance.

A good friend owned a restaurant where some of the head honchos had a meeting before the 5 year lockout at the plant in the 80's here,and he heard all about it beforehand, and that even worse was coming. Until then he was extremely pleased to be working in a union plant,until he saw that if your union officials work inside the plant,you have no union.

Anyway, yes, he couldn't believe the guys at work that were under the influence.There were waaay more at the Ford plant, though. Everyone in this city knew that was a fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies