Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 07:39 PM

8,665 posts, read 5,842,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
As someone who spends a lot of time hiring people, it is disturbing to see the low quality employee you can get even for jobs paying 25 bucks an hour.
Thank you, I hope more in charge of hiring will post their thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2014, 07:45 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,030,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Yeah, that's it.

How come the Honda plant in Ohio is doing absolutely fine? The Toyota plant in Flat Rock, MI? Hell, the GM plant in Lansing, MI that makes the Cadillac ATS and CTS is churning out GREAT cars.

Tell us more about how drug addicts have ruined American manufacturing, though. I'm enthralled.

Then look in your driveway, and look in all your neighbors' driveways and ask yourself again why your local Ford plant closed....
Exactly!

There's never a shortage of raging nuts who seek to blame the average worker for this nation's problems.

No, the real reason manufacturing jobs were lost is because our worthless, sell-out leaders - of both parties - and their corporate masters found it cheaper to have everything built overseas. They bought up the politicians and got rid of the jobs. Some Americans resisted, but little good that did, but many idiots gladly bought into the new policies because "it made stuff cheaper" - right up until it costs you your job.

It is laughable to say that the American workforce's "drug and alcohol problem" is the cause of this... heck, drugs, alcohol, and heaven only knows what else are MORE common on job sights in most other places in the world.

Old 07-03-2014, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
Much truth in what u say but even if u take away all drugs and alcohol most post boomers are not work ready
The beautiful exception are the kids that show up every year to work in Alaska real Americans
Oh, puh-leaze!

While there may be a bunch of younger people with pot problems, EVERY raging drunk I've seen at a place of business has without fail been a Boomer. Usually big, angry, heavy-drinking management types who run the place into the ground with one stupid decision after another. They try to hide their drinking problems, of course, but it is an open secret... particularly when they show up hung-over, skip out on work, etc.

Sadly, they are also the first ones to yell and scream about "kids these days" and "potheads," because apparently being a raging alcoholic is soooo much different and more dignified.

20,300 posts, read 22,211,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
No he only had 24 years in,but yet I receive 50% of what he would have drawn if he had retired. Thankfully great insurances including mortgage insurance.

A good friend owned a restaurant where some of the head honchos had a meeting before the 5 year lockout at the plant in the 80's here,and he heard all about it beforehand, and that even worse was coming. Until then he was extremely pleased to be working in a union plant,until he saw that if your union officials work inside the plant,you have no union.

Anyway, yes, he couldn't believe the guys at work that were under the influence.There were waaay more at the Ford plant, though. Everyone in this city knew that was a fact.
There was a time in many plants where drinking was tolerated to a degree. Even where I work. Times changed and companies were allowed to test. It's hard to get fired from where I work. You almost have to try to get fired. We do have a few 0 tolerance policies though.
1. Company Theft
2. Destruction of company property
3. Drug or alcohol on company property or under the influence.
4. Fire arm on company property. ( Not even in your locked car).
5. Sexual harassment
6. Violence in the work place
Those 6 things are the fast track to termination. All of them can and will get you fired that day.

44,254 posts, read 64,328,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
The new hires that I see are a mixed bag. When I was hired we all in my group felt like we had won the lottery. Out of the 16 in my group only 1 lost their job.
Today we average just about a 40% attrition rate. Swing shift seems to be too much for the younger folk LOL.
That said what does impress me is how fast they seem to be able to learn.
I don't think they are necessarily dumb (though common sense can be rare). But they don't care.

I cared more about my $4.25 job as a teenager than some of these college-educated $25-75 an hour people.
Truly mindboggling.

Having pride in your work is something you do for yourself. Not a sign that you "sold out to the man."

Old 07-03-2014, 07:54 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,211,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I don't think they are necessarily dumb (though common sense can be rare). But they don't care.

I cared more about my $4.25 job as a teenager than some of these college-educated $25-75 an hour people.
Truly mindboggling.

Having pride in your work is something you do for yourself. Not a sign that you "sold out to the man."
The thing I see most is the entitlement minded attitudes. Why do I have to do that? Why can't i have first break? I need a longer break because I smoke and the smoking area is farther way etc. They tend to be very uncomfortable with getting dirty. But what really shocks me is how many male new hires have absolutely no clue about tools. I mean they learn, but I was tearing down farm equipment and putting back together when I was 12.

Old 07-03-2014, 07:55 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,524,681 times
Quote:
Procter and Gamble, Dupont, Johnson and Johnson Kimberly Clark to name a few have similar policies. Union plants operate under different guidelines but are still accountable. In the corporations I listed. I know this because all 4 compare policies, benefits and pay to remain competitive with each other.
Manufacturing left the USA because of poor trade agreements and countries like China being able to produce for pennies on the dollar. If we paid people in silicone valley $10 an hour they still wouldn't be able to compete.
Another factor is the massive salaries paid to American CEO's compared to their foreign counterparts.
We had 1 after lying to the shareholders and causing our stocks to crash get paid a 14 million dollar termination bonus. Insane.

Old 07-03-2014, 08:25 PM

Quote:
The thing I see most is the entitlement minded attitudes. Why do I have to do that? Why can't i have first break? I need a longer break because I smoke and the smoking area is farther way etc. They tend to be very uncomfortable with getting dirty. But what really shocks me is how many male new hires have absolutely no clue about tools. I mean they learn, but I was tearing down farm equipment and putting back together when I was 12.
That's because they took a lot of the shop classes out of schools because of liability reasons.

Now, on the one hand as a guy who is old enough to have taken shop classes, I understand the concern... there were A LOT of idiots in those classes who could have killed themselves or somebody else with a dull crayon. On the other hand, it means valuable skills are no longer being taught. Once again, another case of a minority of idiots ruining things for everyone.

Maybe shop classes could come back, but make people sign a waiver before hand... or, don't let the totally brainless knuckle-draggers take the classes... the types who though it was "fun" to play chicken with their thumbs and a running tablesaw... how I wish I were kidding about that...

Old 07-03-2014, 08:26 PM

8,665 posts, read 5,842,089 times
Oh BTW, don't want to mislead any to think that I meant the steel company where my husband worked supplied mortgage insurance.We obtained that on our own.

And I've never been able to understand why corporations are allowed to go overseas for slave labor,when the outrageous wages they pay their CEOs would supply jobs for many of their countrymen?

Last edited by i_love_autumn; 07-03-2014 at 08:44 PM..

Old 07-03-2014, 09:09 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,725,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
So how many American workers are stealing their paychecks from their employers by not even giving an honest day's work?Americans need to take a good hard look in the mirror,and see how much blame for the collapse of American society is their own fault.

I also have been told that the Ford car plant here closed because of the sorry workforce and refusal of the union to accept the cuts the company wanted. I know if I was a manufacturing plant owner I would not want the drug and alcohol addicted American workforce to make anything for my company! Quality in American made products is pretty much non existent today with so much of the workforce on every drug imaginable and/or alcohol as well!

My son is a machinist/programmer and he said it's scary the crap quality parts that leave the shop!No wonder they keep losing contracts,is it?

American workers have thrown away the manufacturing jobs because of their drug and alcohol addictions! Do you want to drive a car they built[recall after recall after recall]... or drive over a bridge they built?

19 Statistics About The Drugging Of America That Are Almost Too Crazy To Believe
The American people are the most drugged people in the history of the planet. Illegal drugs get most of the headlines, but the truth is that the number of Americans that are addicted to legal drugs is far greater than the number of Americans that are addicted to illegal drugs.

19 Statistics About The Drugging Of America That Are Almost Too Crazy To Believe

I'll take an American made product over a cheaply constructed Chinese piece of crap any day of the week..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies