Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2014, 11:45 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,817,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfProfessional View Post
You are greatly characterizing liberals. Liberals believe in SAT + GPA as a representation of success.
It isn't just liberals that believe that SAT + GPA is an indicator of success. The major universities in the south (as well as other parts of the country) also have tough entrance requirements that include high SAT scores as well as a top GPA in order to be accepted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2014, 11:50 PM

384 posts, read 349,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
It isn't just liberals that believe that SAT + GPA is an indicator of success. The major universities in the south (as well as other parts of the country) also have tough entrance requirements that include high SAT scores as well as a top GPA in order to be accepted.
This is true of all the good schools.

Old 07-05-2014, 12:14 AM

Quote:
This is true of all the good schools.
A few years ago I had a discussion on another forum (not C-D) with someone who had recently graduated with a degree in electrical/computers engineering and had been looking for a job for a year. He was from Atlanta. I always think of Ga Tech when Atlanta and engineering are mentioned so I responded that things must really be tough if a recent engineering graduate from Ga Tech couldn't find a job.

Turns out that he graduated from DeVry, couldn't get in Ga Tech as he scored 900 on the SAT (M+V) and they required a SAT of something like 1300-1400 (probably higher today). I didn't say any more but thought hmmm, that tells you something about DeVry (its standards and quality).

Old 07-05-2014, 12:32 AM

Quote:
A few years ago I had a discussion on another forum (not C-D) with someone who had recently graduated with a degree in electrical/computers engineering and had been looking for a job for a year. He was from Atlanta. I always think of Ga Tech when Atlanta and engineering are mentioned so I responded that things must really be tough if a recent engineering graduate from Ga Tech couldn't find a job.

Turns out that he graduated from DeVry, couldn't get in Ga Tech as he scored 900 on the SAT (M+V) and they required a SAT of something like 1300-1400 (probably higher today). I didn't say any more but thought hmmm, that tells you something about DeVry (its standards and quality).
When it comes to any school, you can't really say it "sucks" or it's the "best". You have to look at their programs. Take a school like UMD. It's great for criminology and social services... not so great for other programs. Stanford is great for engineering, not good for fine arts.

I guess my point is that you have to look at the programs more than the schools as a whole.

Old 07-05-2014, 12:44 AM

Quote:
When it comes to any school, you can't really say it "sucks" or it's the "best". You have to look at their programs. Take a school like UMD. It's great for criminology and social services... not so great for other programs. Stanford is great for engineering, not good for fine arts.

I guess my point is that you have to look at the programs more than the schools as a whole.
Thats true but I can't think of anything that the for-profits like DeVry or UoP could possibly offer that matches (or even comes close) to what the Univ Of Ga and/or Ga Tech can offer.

Old 07-05-2014, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Thats true but I can't think of anything that the for-profits like DeVry or UoP could possibly offer that matches (or even comes close) to what the Univ Of Ga and/or Ga Tech can offer.
I participated in UoP early on. It worked well for me so I'm not sure how I would feel if for-profits got removed immediately. It was at one point, my best performing stock holding.

I agree that the educational value to the student is lacking. But the business value to the investor is there.

Old 07-05-2014, 05:36 AM

1,796 posts, read 1,661,814 times
Quote:
Actually, a lot for-profit schools are accredited. They have to be in order to receive federal student loans... which is where they make a large portion of their money. Regional accreditation is rather meaningless these days.
This is not true. The "University" of Phoenix has experienced quite a few accreditation woes recently, as one of the larger online providers, as have many others. As I implied earlier, a good way to gauge the worthiness of an online program is to assess whether fully accredited institutions will accept transfer credits that students have earned from them. In the case of UP, Strayer, and the like, the answer is largely "no." If you wanted to, you could spend thousands and thousands of dollars getting degrees from such schools. If you then tried to build on those "degrees" at another institution, you would have to start over.

Old 07-05-2014, 06:18 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,544,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Quite a generalized post, care to be more specific. Also I wouldn't mind seeing a link for you median IQ comment.
You're kidding right? I learned that in high school. Knowing this fact may actually be correlated with IQ itself. haha

Quote:
Although the term "IQ" is still in common use, the scoring of modern IQ tests such as the Wechsler Adult Intelligence Scale is now based on standard scoring of the subject's rank order on the test item content with the median score set to 100
https://www.princeton.edu/~achaney/t..._quotient.html

Old 07-05-2014, 06:55 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
You're kidding right? I learned that in high school. Knowing this fact may actually be correlated with IQ itself. haha

https://www.princeton.edu/~achaney/t..._quotient.html
Basically anyone who didn't go to college scored 100 or lower. That makes a lot of sense, wouldn't you agree?

Old 07-05-2014, 03:14 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,418,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diva360 View Post
This is not true. The "University" of Phoenix has experienced quite a few accreditation woes recently, as one of the larger online providers, as have many others. As I implied earlier, a good way to gauge the worthiness of an online program is to assess whether fully accredited institutions will accept transfer credits that students have earned from them. In the case of UP, Strayer, and the like, the answer is largely "no." If you wanted to, you could spend thousands and thousands of dollars getting degrees from such schools. If you then tried to build on those "degrees" at another institution, you would have to start over.
Not for nothing University of Phoenix awards the most degrees to Blacks & Hispanics.

University Of Phoenix Graduates Most Minority Students, Report Says
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies