Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2014, 09:59 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,352,042 times

Advertisements

State’s retail pot gets rolling Tuesday | Local News | The Seattle Times

All does not seem to be going smoothly. There are widespread reports of anticipated shortages. The first store to open in Seattle (this Tuesday) says that it only has 10 lbs. of product on hand. I wonder if the pot entrepreneurs underestimated what goes into this. You need connections to farm producers, packaging engineers, warehouses, forklifts, pallet jacks, trucks, and Teamsters to operate them.

Here's a good article from Forbes by Jacob Sullum, longtime observer of and commentator upon the US nanny state.

Weedless in Seattle: Washington's Looming Pot Shortage - Forbes

Sullum pointed out that marijuana is not exempt from the law of supply and demand. Shortages mean that the price is likely to skyrocket. The price for legal weed was already expected to be higher than illegal weed due to the hefty taxes. A Seattle PI reporter estimates it will be in the range of $300-500 oz. My guess is that it will quickly rise even higher (pun intended) to the point where you'd better be rolling a Lexus if you want to roll legal weed.

From the communications director of the 'Washington Cannibis Association:"

Quote:
I think you’ll see a lot of people in the beginning go to the stores just for the novelty of it. But at a certain point they’re gonna say, ‘Why the heck am I paying $20 a gram when Jimmy the pot dealer’s gonna sell it to me for $13 a gram?’ I think we’re going to continue to have a black market for several years. I know pot dealers in my neighborhood in Seattle. They’ve all told me they’re not worried a bit.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2014, 10:13 AM

36,856 posts, read 17,350,188 times
If only Big Brother would be so kind and allow the peasants to grow their own.

Old 07-06-2014, 03:58 PM

1,806 posts, read 1,736,861 times
Good job. Legalize it, regulate it and tax it. They should do this with prostitution as well. It would keep a lot of money out of the hands of criminals, provide a lot more funding for schools and law enforcement and keep workers in those jobs safe.

Old 07-06-2014, 04:01 PM

45,201 posts, read 26,417,923 times
Yes regulate it so only big pharma will be selling it. Brilliant

Old 07-06-2014, 04:02 PM

Big pharma isn't selling it in Washington or Colorado. You shouldn't smack your head like that. You especially need what is in there.

Old 07-06-2014, 04:04 PM

45,201 posts, read 26,417,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by remoddahouse View Post
Big pharma isn't selling it in Washington or Colorado. You shouldn't smack your head like that. You especially need what is in there.
Give it time. You seem pretty ignorant of how things work in america.

Old 07-06-2014, 04:06 PM

Oh I'm fully aware of how things work. Hence my point that having an insured business that pays taxes and is closely watched by regulating bodies is better than having the profits from marijuana sales going to Mexican drug cartels. You might want to think through your logic there.

I'll take the option that reduces the death toll, increases state revenue and keeps the industry in check. It's a much better option that what you're proposing. I'm conservative, so I don't like to see a lot of money wasted by government on silly policies put in place by naive people.

Old 07-06-2014, 04:09 PM

36,856 posts, read 17,350,188 times
"Regulating bodies"...and the path to corruption begins.

Old 07-06-2014, 08:47 PM

32,059 posts, read 15,040,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Yes regulate it so only big pharma will be selling it. Brilliant
Pharmaceutical companies have noting to do with marijuana nor will they. lol In fact, they don't even want it legalized. This is not a pill they can manufacture. It's a natural plant with healing properties that will take away from their profits.

Old 07-06-2014, 09:35 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,230,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
If only Big Brother would be so kind and allow the peasants to grow their own.
Heaven forbid government not be allowed to squeeze every last dime they can from it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies