Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you do away with the Tea Party if you could?
Yes 56 35.00%
No 104 65.00%
Voters: 160. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 11:25 AM

4,571 posts, read 3,502,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
I don't propose getting rid of them. The question is if you could wave a magic wand and make them go away, would you?
No but I would do that to you and your kind (whackjob leftists AKA the democrat party).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2014, 11:26 AM

11,528 posts, read 5,589,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post

Yeah, wanting the government to stop being so wasteful with OUR money sure is the pinnacle of ignorance.

You and your ilk have been brainwashed so marvelously well by those whose thoughts and ideas you've adopted, I'm not sure you could see reality even if all those liars were removed from your environment completely.

The TEA Party movement is pretty much NONE of the things that you and yours say it is, every day, right here on this forum. Every time you post a falsehood, you're corrected, yet you never seem to learn. Who's the ignorant one here?

Ignorance is bliss to them - if the Tea Party is all my ill informed Democrat constituents think than why have so many been elected to public office - despite all the fallacies the Lefties and righties make up about them? Because Americans are waking up to what both parties have done to this great nation and have said enough!

Old 07-07-2014, 11:33 AM

78,866 posts, read 46,327,178 times
Quote:
I don't propose getting rid of them. The question is if you could wave a magic wand and make them go away, would you?

Is your magic wand loaded with .22 or .30 caliber?

Old 07-07-2014, 11:44 AM

12,998 posts, read 13,577,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Is your magic wand loaded with .22 or .30 caliber?
No Bent. The best magic wand would be loaded with education. That would make the Tea Party disappear overnight. All of those people who are concerned about the federal budget would be demanding that corporate and top income bracket tax rates return to their mid 20th century levels pronto so we could get back to having a decent economy.

Old 07-07-2014, 11:57 AM

13,706 posts, read 5,456,096 times
The Tea Party isn't even an actual organization. It is the paleo-conservative, semi-libertarian section of the right side of the political spectrum. How do you "get rid of" a philosophy, and why would you want to?

For all the grave concerns and hysterical hand wringing about Tea Party takeovers and all that, am I the only one who can recognize that "the Tea Party" if it were an actual party has maybe a dozen elected officials within the entire GOP establishment? It's like when someone tells me how people who vote libertarian are wrecking everything...yeah, with all zero of our elected representatives.

The tea party thinking, as in the combo of Taxed Enough Already and Boston Tea Party direct activism is nothing more than the right wing version of marching hippies, OWS, or any other grassroots_hold_placards_shout_on_street_corner movement. Should we "get rid of" OWS, Code Pink, or any of the left's grassroots idealists? That's all the tea party represents. Simply the right's contribution to saying FU to the government and the status quo.

All you lefties who hate tea party people...you sound like middle/old aged conservatives from the 60s who griped about hippies. In other words, you've allowed partisan myopia to turn you into that which you despise. Ironic, no?

Old 07-07-2014, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
The Tea Party isn't even an actual organization. It is the paleo-conservative, semi-libertarian section of the right side of the political spectrum. How do you "get rid of" a philosophy, and why would you want to?

For all the grave concerns and hysterical hand wringing about Tea Party takeovers and all that, am I the only one who can recognize that "the Tea Party" if it were an actual party has maybe a dozen elected officials within the entire GOP establishment? It's like when someone tells me how people who vote libertarian are wrecking everything...yeah, with all zero of our elected representatives.

The tea party thinking, as in the combo of Taxed Enough Already and Boston Tea Party direct activism is nothing more than the right wing version of marching hippies, OWS, or any other grassroots_hold_placards_shout_on_street_corner movement. Should we "get rid of" OWS, Code Pink, or any of the left's grassroots idealists? That's all the tea party represents. Simply the right's contribution to saying FU to the government and the status quo.

All you lefties who hate tea party people...you sound like middle/old aged conservatives from the 60s who griped about hippies. In other words, you've allowed partisan myopia to turn you into that which you despise. Ironic, no?
Completely agree with the comparison -- I'm a liberal Democrat, but I think hippies, for the most part, were moronic simpletons who had a questionable grasp on reality. Same goes for Tea Partiers. The world is just far more complicated than either group admits to.

Old 07-07-2014, 12:08 PM

78,866 posts, read 46,327,178 times
Quote:
No Bent. The best magic wand would be loaded with education. That would make the Tea Party disappear overnight. All of those people who are concerned about the federal budget would be demanding that corporate and top income bracket tax rates return to their mid 20th century levels pronto so we could get back to having a decent economy.

Is that why you get thrown in jail for passing out copies of the constitution? Isn't that education?

How about quit taxing income.

Old 07-07-2014, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Is that why you get thrown in jail for passing out copies of the constitution? Isn't that education?

How about quit taxing income.
If we quit taxing income, things would get truly awful for the majority of Americans in short order. Inequality would sharply rise and the social safety net would disappear. I know partying like it's 1815 (pre Andrew Jackson) is a Tea Partiers idea of a good time, but I can assure you, you all are a tiny minority.

Old 07-07-2014, 12:23 PM

88,552 posts, read 44,252,621 times
Quote:
No Bent. The best magic wand would be loaded with education.
Well, that eliminates liberals right off the bat. Our K-12 public education system is a disaster. Only 1/3 of all public school students are educated to grade-level proficiency.

Public school students who are educated to grade-level proficiency by 8th grade:

Reading: 34%
Math: 34%

NAEP - Mathematics and Reading 2013

No wonder the Tea Party is a minority. Way too much of the population has been dumbed-down by being trapped in abysmal public schools by "no school vouchers" Democrats.

Old 07-07-2014, 12:25 PM

13,706 posts, read 5,456,096 times
Quote:
Completely agree with the comparison -- I'm a liberal Democrat, but I think hippies, for the most part, were moronic simpletons who had a questionable grasp on reality. Same goes for Tea Partiers. The world is just far more complicated than either group admits to.
They weren't so much ignorant as they were idealists. I am a libertarian, which is the intellectual sounding term for "hopelessly idealist pain in the neck." Being idealist doesn't make me ignorant, and I'd stack my education, intellect and critical thinking skills up against anyone, anytime, anywhere.

Idealists latch onto one or two things really important to them and get on a soapbox to gripe about it. Hippies hated Vietnam and our involvement in it. Sure, a lot of their protests were ignorant and downright cruel (spitting on returning soldiers = low freaking rent, imho), but that was a generally unpopular exercise of military power and got >50k Americans dead, so opposing it was not necessarily ignorant. I have an uncle who is still pretty much a hippie, but is also a practicing lawyer in DC, and he wrote a legal case for getting rid of Selective Service registration that was published in his school's law review. Hippie idealism maybe, but not ignorant, tyvm.

TEA Partiers originally started, since few people remember this anymore after the media's dedicated efforts to rewrite the real history, as a gripe AGAINST THE ESTABLISHMENT GOP, who at the time of the Tea Party's ascendance, was pretty much the morally righteous wing of the Democrats, which evolved out of Dubyah's co-opting of the phrase "compassionate conservatism" which was itself big government welfare statism with the GOP brand logo stamped on it. The original tea partiers, myself among them, were pissed off because people who believed in SMALLER government generally had no representation no matter which party they voted for. I jumped ship on the whole thing once weasel GOP politicians began claiming tea party cred, thus making what was originally a libertarian thing become the calling card of people like Michelle Bachmann and others.

But it started as a group screaming"enough" at more taxes, bigger government, and a tone deaf GOP that had all but totally abandoned their duty as the opposition to Democrat nannyism.

And that was absurdly idealist, but not ignorant. Virtually all small/limited government ideology is based on the writings of people way smarter than anyone currently in charge, like Locke, Bastiat, Madison et al. Not an ignorant thinker among them, so lifting from their philosophy by extension is not ignorant. Sure, it's idealist and unworkable in the face of our behemoth tyrants in charge, but not ignorant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies