U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2007, 09:12 PM

1,330 posts, read 4,540,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
I can say firsthand that you are confusing the effects of the drug with the psychology of a specific individual. I know people who were mentally/chemically imbalanced, had suffered recent trauma, or who had just been poorly raised - and marijuana (just like alcohol) sometimes has a very bad effect on these types of people.
Actually there is at least one study out there that links marijuana use to later depression in women. I have found several sites that cite the research but cannot find the actual research article to link to. There is a lot yet to learn about marijuana and the effects it has on the brain - till then I wait and keep my ears open for more research.

Old 03-19-2007, 09:14 PM

1,900 posts, read 1,712,695 times
A helluva a lot of people have smoked dope over the past 50 years, if there is data to be had, it is there.

It certainly seems much more benign than alcohol,, he says as he drains his sam adams.

Old 03-19-2007, 09:23 PM

1,151 posts, read 3,062,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatbasinguide View Post
A helluva a lot of people have smoked dope over the past 50 years, if there is data to be had, it is there.

It certainly seems much more benign than alcohol,, he says as he drains his sam adams.
lol. What a coincidence. I'm enjoying a Sam Adams too. Ok maybe more than one.

Old 03-19-2007, 09:27 PM

343 posts, read 147,647 times
I don't see kids using it more. They might even have less access as adults might become more responsible. In any case it isn't slowing it down being illegal just fueling the crime machine with resources. When I was a kid it was rare to get an adult that would buy you booze because the penalties attached to it were severe. There was no margin in it for an adult as they were satisfied ,-they had theirs. "Grow up kid and then we'll see". The old adage, "you can't legislate morality" or mortality for that matter. It is benign compared to alcohol. I remember in my youth reading Timothy Leary and a quote that stuck with me. "The whiskey drinking menopausal imprison the pot smoking youth." Mind you I am no Leary fan, fools like him have brought us through a period of devolution from which we won't soon recover. These liberal University Kook leaders are more responsible for the degredation of our youth than truckloads of pot on every street. Not much to do with marijuana though. Never heard of anyone on a raping, bank robbing, homicidal tyrate implicated by pot. The drug companies don't want it because it suitably replaces the opiate of the housewives, xanax, valium, etc. in adfinitum. Oh yeah, the boys like those too. It is another tool for politicians and policeman, law enforcement types to use for advancement and budget control. I used it in my youth, I no longer do.Don't use it around your kids and talk to them honestly about it. If anything, tell them they can have your ill advised blessing, when they are adults. I don't know where the Bible says anything about it except in Gods first covenant, I give you every herb unto the earth, to you it will be for meat" Something like that.

Old 03-19-2007, 09:28 PM

1,900 posts, read 1,712,695 times
Dang, you must be a liberal environmentalist interesting a saving a bit of this planet.. A very bad person apparently.

Old 03-19-2007, 09:29 PM

1,151 posts, read 3,062,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatbasinguide View Post
Dang, you must be a liberal environmentalist interesting a saving a bit of this planet.. A very bad person apparently.
Apparently.

Old 03-20-2007, 04:43 PM

6 posts, read 10,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
That logic doesn't compute. Legalization would create MORE control over who could use it and how much. It would also regulate the quality, preventing it from being cut with other, more dangerous drugs.
But legalization of it would send a stronger message that its all right to do marijuana than of the age or use laws they put hold on it.

Old 03-20-2007, 08:36 PM

7,367 posts, read 6,534,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grotneska View Post
But legalization of it would send a stronger message that its all right to do marijuana than of the age or use laws they put hold on it.
But, the stronger control would overcome the perceived acceptance, not including all of the positives related to increased revenue, refocusing of law enforcement on real problems, less money spent on encarcerations, and reduced power of organized crime.

Old 03-20-2007, 09:02 PM

22 posts, read 73,398 times
Should Marijuana Be Legalized Or Not?

Not sure Dude. It's like awesome to like, wonder. Like, ya know, Dude!

Old 03-21-2007, 07:26 AM
j33

4,625 posts, read 12,645,579 times
yes. and I don't even like the stuff (I think it smells disgusting and the one time when I was a teenager back in the 1980's and tried it, it didn't do anything for me, so I haven't bothered since), but I think that if alcohol and cigarettes are legal, that pot should be. I'm sick of our legal system wasting its time with potheads when it should be chasing down actual criminals.

Don't get me wrong, I find potheads annoying and I think it is probably in most people's best interest to avoid the stuff, but I feel the same way about cigarettes and McDonalds, but I don't see people clamouring to put cigarette smokers or people who eat too many Big Macs in jail

It should be taxed and regulated, like alcohol and cigarettes, end of story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies