U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-03-2007, 11:26 AM
 
Location: By the sea, by the sea, by the beautiful sea
54,144 posts, read 38,225,022 times
Reputation: 26638

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post

So, while it is illegal, it is against the law...but then so is speeding...so what one must decide is not what or how others feel about it, but if it fact it goes against their moral upbringing to do something that is against the law, therefore, taking the responsiblity then for being caught. So it really doesn't matter what I think, I'm not going to approve it while it is against the law.

I think there's also an issue of do we get enough benefit to justify all the $$$$$$ we spend attempting to control it? I don't think so. I also don't see limiting use to prescription only being effective at preventing abuse except by those who can't afford the 'right' doctors, those who can afford it have no problem legally obtaining all the much more harmful drugs they care to.

 
Old 08-03-2007, 11:45 AM
 
702 posts, read 2,832,815 times
Reputation: 432
Default If I can trust the system...

If we can trust the system we would have to believe that the vast majority of people feel that Marijuana should remain illegal. Until that changes, things will stay the way they are. Whether it is good or bad...it remains illegal.
 
Old 08-03-2007, 12:01 PM
 
Location: Stillwater, Oklahoma
13,047 posts, read 12,471,759 times
Reputation: 3937
Marijuana will continue to be illegal as long as the law keeps NOT stepping on the toes of the wealthy when going about enforcing the marijuana laws. Can you imagine how loud the squeals from the wealthy parents at the state capitol would be in your state if, say, the narcs staged mass raids on the fraternities and sororities in the college towns? And also started raiding the wealthy neighborhoods for dope. If only that kind of stuff would happen you can bet that the laws against drugs would become at worse misdemeanors, if not outright legalized and regulated.
 
Old 08-03-2007, 12:06 PM
 
Location: Stillwater, Oklahoma
13,047 posts, read 12,471,759 times
Reputation: 3937
Quote:
Originally Posted by boycew02 View Post
I don't think it should be legalized. In my opinion there is far too much evidence to suggest that it causes brain damage and can result in severe mental conditions such as paranoid schizophrenia for it to be legalized. I have friends who smoke it and I hate seeing them when they're completely out of it because it changes them completely.
Then how far would you want the government to go in protecting the people from harmful substances by banning them? If the government decided to ban alcohol and tobbaco, would you gladly pay higher taxes to build the prisons required to put people in who get caught with alcohol and/or tobacco?
 
Old 08-03-2007, 12:07 PM
 
25,454 posts, read 23,273,196 times
Reputation: 15310
Quote:
Originally Posted by azloafer View Post
If we can trust the system we would have to believe that the vast majority of people feel that Marijuana should remain illegal. Until that changes, things will stay the way they are. Whether it is good or bad...it remains illegal.
I disagree, I don't believe the vast majority of people in the U.S. is for legalizing the substance...if you know any different, please educate me.
 
Old 08-03-2007, 12:10 PM
 
25,454 posts, read 23,273,196 times
Reputation: 15310
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Then how far would you want the government to go in protecting the people from harmful substances by banning them? If the government decided to ban alcohol and tobbaco, would you gladly pay higher taxes to build the prisons required to put people in who get caught with alcohol and/or tobacco?
Oh my, your going way over to the other end of the spectrum to a point that is not realistic....1st and foremost, it is against the law...2nd, I'd pay highly for more prisions period, just to get some of the animals off the streets who are out there now...and 3rd...what is your request...do you want legal pot so you can smoke it anytime, anywhere? Because, as much as most of the posters here have responsible and realistic responses to the issue, your still not being honest and reading it and saying, well, yeah...all you know if that you want to smoke pot come you know what or high water....what I'm saying here is...the devil will sell you 1 pt. of poison, to disquise an entire lake of truth.
 
Old 08-03-2007, 12:45 PM
 
6,760 posts, read 10,183,620 times
Reputation: 2992
I'm still missing how weed is in any way worse than alcohol or tobacco, especially alcohol and tobacco combined.

I honestly believe that if the government knew they could figure a way to tax the hell out of marijuana, then legalization would become a much higer possibility. But its been illegal so long that now even the neighborhood stoner guy knows how to quietly and easily grow more than enough pot for his own use with very little money spent. I do believe some tax revenue could be made, but its no goldmine as if they tax it too hard, it will continue to be grown and distributed by the current distribution channels that have been created due to the illegal status of cannabis.

I would love to see ALL prisoners freed who have no charges other than possession of marijuana, regardless of the amount they were caught with. If no other crimes were committed, set them free and quit arresting people for having an ounce of weed and sending them to prison. Guess what that would do? It would make more room for people who deserve to be in jail for REAL crimes. And don't even get me started about "marijuana is a gateway drug and is associated with other crime" BS that we are force fed by politicians and the "Ad Council" type commercials. If hanging out at 3AM is associated with higher rates of burglary, should you be arrested if you happen to be out at 3AM? No, and guilty by association doesn't cut it with weed either.

Marijuana needs to be legalized and restricted the same way alcohol is. Sure it will find its way into teen hands, but it already does, just like alcohol and I don't hear anyone crying for prohibition again. The myth of marijuana being a gateway drug is one of the main reasons for its prohibition. But oddly the its the prohibition that causes the gateway effect. Weed is bought, sold and used illegally. So people who are smoking and buying weed often end up in situations with other drugs simply because people who sell weed for profit will often sell other drugs that are more profitable and easier to hide. This increases the exposure and access to other drugs when someone would otherwise buy, possess, and use marijuana legally if it weren't prohibited and therefore would not end up around as many situation where other illegal substances are present. Legalizing marijuana would GREATLY reduce the "gateway" effect because its not marijuana causing it to begin with.
 
Old 08-03-2007, 01:28 PM
 
Location: By the sea, by the sea, by the beautiful sea
54,144 posts, read 38,225,022 times
Reputation: 26638
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I disagree, I don't believe the vast majority of people in the U.S. is for legalizing the substance...if you know any different, please educate me.

There's a factor I think needs to be considered. We outlaw it and put out a lot of unfounded misinformation of dreadful affects and imply it will lead people down the road to all manner of mean, nasty things. When someone tries marijuana and finds many of these dire warnings have no basis in fact how can we expect them to heed warnings about the things that will do them harm?
 
Old 08-03-2007, 01:38 PM
 
Location: Vancouver, WA
323 posts, read 969,095 times
Reputation: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
It's like alcohol and morphine and other drugs? THAT is just not true. Both alcohol and morphine, along with many other drugs cause physical addiction. Ever witness someone with the DTs? It's not a pretty sight. There is no evidence of marijuana creating a physical dependency.
I find this absurd.. I am married to a man who is addicted to pot. Dope smokers all say they can "quit anytime I want to. I just don't want to". That's a pure load of crap, told by drug addicts!

Have you ever stopped to think... you can push for legalization.. but until then.. it's still against the law?.. how's that for a reason to quit? People I've known and heard of MANY, who buy, sell, use etc., KNOWING they may go to jail, but still do it anyway? That's not a reason to NOT smoke? That's NOT addiction? People risk losing their children by using/buying/selling it. That's NOT addiction? People go to PRISON for YEARS, just to have it. That's NOT addiction? Then please explain to me what type of brain damage dope smokers all seem to have that keeps them from obeying the law and risking their freedom in order to keep getting high?

By gosh I love the feeling of eating chocolate pie... but for pete's sake.. if they ever made it illegal in this country to possess it, consume it, or sell it... then guess what... I WON'T RISK MY FREEDOM AND BREAK THE LAW TO GET IT!!! No matter HOW stupid I think the law is!!

IF by your argument.. "it's not addictive".. then what in the world is wrong with every dope smokers brain, that they don't put it down and never touch the stuff???"

I also get pissed every time someone uses the marijuana to alcohol debate. Some people wanted prohibition, some didn't. It's not pot. It's apples and oranges.

If you want alcohol banned... then knock yourself out in helping get those laws passed in banning it here in America, while NOT using alcohol yourself!

If you want pot legalized.... same goes... knock yourself out in helping to get those laws passed in legalizing it here in America, while NOT using it yourself!

Until it IS legalized.. it should not matter whether you agree or disagree with its use... if it's used, sold, bought... it is CRIMINAL ACTIVITY, and should be punished by law.

End of story.
 
Old 08-03-2007, 01:55 PM
 
Location: By the sea, by the sea, by the beautiful sea
54,144 posts, read 38,225,022 times
Reputation: 26638
Quote:
Originally Posted by desiree253 View Post
I find this absurd.. I am married to a man who is addicted to pot. Dope smokers all say they can "quit anytime I want to. I just don't want to". That's a pure load of crap, told by drug addicts!

There are people addicted to gambling too but it is not a physical addiction. Psychological addiction is a different thing than the physical and has more to do with the addicted than the substance or activity.

Saying marijuana should be illegal because some abuse it or are susceptible to psycological addiction is no different than saying Prohibition is justified because some can't handle alcohol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top