U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-03-2007, 08:31 PM
Status: "Elect a clown? Expect a circus!" (set 16 days ago)
 
Location: By the sea, by the sea, by the beautiful sea
54,981 posts, read 38,870,932 times
Reputation: 27309

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by azloafer View Post
As a police sergeant I never put myself in a position to decide which laws to enforce. My job was to enforce the law, period. It is up to the DA's and the judges to decide what to do with the cases.


Oh, I can understand that, I think it's the professional, way of doing your job. I just think in your career you were more likely to come in contact with pot smokers when they were doing something else to grab your attention.

 
Old 08-03-2007, 09:23 PM
 
343 posts, read 149,674 times
Reputation: 126
What a thread PHM. PHM is a head, farm out man! Cool freakin dude and I never even recognized it. Goes to show you never know!
I was a casual pot smoker for 20 years. Got through college. Never had more than a parking ticket. Never did anything but help my fellow man. Served in the military with honors and with a top secret crypto security clearance. Basically, nobody ever knew. NOt these days, nor for many days have I ever been on the highways enebreated. However, I have in my life and it is a bad thing and something I am not proud about. I can tell you with great confidence, that though it may have measurable effects, marijuana is not nearly the risk for anything negative, including driving, that alcohol presents. Nobody ever beat their wives, robbed a grocery store or bank, got into a fight, shot and killed someone, as a result of smoking marijuana.
Like everything, moderation is the key. I have seen guys smoke a bag of weed. I always saw them as foolish. I would smoke three puffs and put it out. That is all it took. You want to say it is a gateway drug that is bull. No drug is worse than alcohol or caffein. I never did anything beyond pot, had no desire. It is sort of like the old arguement, guns don't kill -people do. If you have a propensity toward evil you will eventually do an evil act.
I honestly believe the marijuana laws have been a scourge on the enforcement of other drug laws. All the other crap and you can name it, including prescription stuff that thousands of housewives are hooked on and delivers billions to the legal economy are twelve times worse than pot.
When I got ready to quit I just quit, never looked back and don't miss it. Cigarettes kicked my butt for twenty years before I quit. It was miserable trying, before I succeeded. I am totally clean of drugs except for my occassional, usually golf course beer.
I will say,- it is not for children. I will say, that illegality makes it easier for kids to get. I will say, that chasing the joint has made carrers for law enforcement and destroyed careers, -of otherwise law abiding people. We need to address this problem. Look folks. How can you say that your last two Presidents are fit to be presidents if pot is so evil. Unlike myself, these leaders of the most powerful country on earth have used the stronger drugs, i.e. cocaine. By the way, I am a God fearing person, you won't find it addressed negatively in the Bible. Think what you want. It is a stupid law, stupid..stupid...stupid.
 
Old 08-03-2007, 09:34 PM
 
Location: Stillwater, Oklahoma
13,233 posts, read 12,637,640 times
Reputation: 3999
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Oh my, your going way over to the other end of the spectrum to a point that is not realistic....1st and foremost, it is against the law...2nd, I'd pay highly for more prisions period, just to get some of the animals off the streets who are out there now...and 3rd...what is your request...do you want legal pot so you can smoke it anytime, anywhere? Because, as much as most of the posters here have responsible and realistic responses to the issue, your still not being honest and reading it and saying, well, yeah...all you know if that you want to smoke pot come you know what or high water....what I'm saying here is...the devil will sell you 1 pt. of poison, to disquise an entire lake of truth.
How sad that the USA is the world's most highly imprisoned nation, yet you seem to think you would pay highly in more taxes to put yet more people into prison. Many drug users are merely responsible users, not abusers and should not be regarded as animals.

Of course, I'm for legalizing marijuana while regulating it similar to alcohol. If marijuana was legalized, you would be hearing underaged looking kids asked, "May I see your ID?" when trying to buy marijuana. You're not about to hear that now. My viewpoints on the subject pretty much coincide with tnbound2day. I admire him for his rational and well thought out viewpoints.

Meanwhile, how tragic that you are for keeping marijuana illegal even though banning it has long proved a losing cause. Narcs estimate they seize only 10% of the underground drugs, including marijuana, yet you support keeping such an ineffective system going. But to listen to you, who knows how high ours taxes would have to go up to have the narcs saying that they're seizing, say, 90% of the illegal underground drug supply.

Many politicians are hesitant to legalize medical marijuana because it might send the wrong message to kids about drugs. But the same politicians don't seem to worry what kids are gonna think should they get wind of the fact that only 10% of the illegal drug market gets confiscated. Aren't kids gonna think they've been conned after being told drugs are very bad for society?
 
Old 08-03-2007, 09:47 PM
 
Location: 78218
1,151 posts, read 3,071,067 times
Reputation: 642
Quote:
Originally Posted by KAINTUCK View Post
What a thread PHM. PHM is a head, farm out man! Cool freakin dude and I never even recognized it. Goes to show you never know!
I was a casual pot smoker for 20 years. Got through college. Never had more than a parking ticket. Never did anything but help my fellow man. Served in the military with honors and with a top secret crypto security clearance. Basically, nobody ever knew. NOt these days, nor for many days have I ever been on the highways enebreated. However, I have in my life and it is a bad thing and something I am not proud about. I can tell you with great confidence, that though it may have measurable effects, marijuana is not nearly the risk for anything negative, including driving, that alcohol presents. Nobody ever beat their wives, robbed a grocery store or bank, got into a fight, shot and killed someone, as a result of smoking marijuana.
Like everything, moderation is the key. I have seen guys smoke a bag of weed. I always saw them as foolish. I would smoke three puffs and put it out. That is all it took. You want to say it is a gateway drug that is bull. No drug is worse than alcohol or caffein. I never did anything beyond pot, had no desire. It is sort of like the old arguement, guns don't kill -people do. If you have a propensity toward evil you will eventually do an evil act.
I honestly believe the marijuana laws have been a scourge on the enforcement of other drug laws. All the other crap and you can name it, including prescription stuff that thousands of housewives are hooked on and delivers billions to the legal economy are twelve times worse than pot.
When I got ready to quit I just quit, never looked back and don't miss it. Cigarettes kicked my butt for twenty years before I quit. It was miserable trying, before I succeeded. I am totally clean of drugs except for my occassional, usually golf course beer.
I will say,- it is not for children. I will say, that illegality makes it easier for kids to get. I will say, that chasing the joint has made carrers for law enforcement and destroyed careers, -of otherwise law abiding people. We need to address this problem. Look folks. How can you say that your last two Presidents are fit to be presidents if pot is so evil. Unlike myself, these leaders of the most powerful country on earth have used the stronger drugs, i.e. cocaine. By the way, I am a God fearing person, you won't find it addressed negatively in the Bible. Think what you want. It is a stupid law, stupid..stupid...stupid.
'nuff said folks. Thread is over!
 
Old 08-04-2007, 04:21 AM
 
Location: The Silver State (from the UK)
4,663 posts, read 7,178,271 times
Reputation: 2862
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedalus View Post
It's not legal there, contrary to popular belief. Generally, they can't be bothered to enforce the law. If you deal in it, and make yourself a pain in the ass, they'll oblige by making trouble for you.

You have to ask for it. It cannot be on public display. It cannot be sold in the same place alcohol is sold. Seeds are legal to sell (in some of the "smart shops" in A'dam, you will pay $10 per seed, for certain strains) as are live plants.

Many people will walk down the street smoking a "spliff". The police could care less. However, they carry machine pistols, and if you try to make any kind of violent trouble, three of them will materialize out of nowhere and have you handcuffed in record time.

.

This is untrue... it is legal in Amsterdam. In the rest of the Netherlands it is not, but they won't enforce it. The menu's are on display everywhere, and there is a great place called "rookies" just off the main square that sells alcohol and pot.

Although this is kinda besides the point, it is important to show that a legal pot society does not necessarily fall to ruins!
 
Old 08-04-2007, 05:26 AM
 
2,775 posts, read 2,639,154 times
Reputation: 2967
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnbound2day View Post
I know that a lot of people do get addicted, regardless of whether its a physical or psychological addiction. People also get addicted to alcohol, tobacco, gambling, etc. but that doesn't make it illegal, just regulated. I'm simply saying that just because some people can't handle doesn't mean its right to criminalize those who can. And our police officers and prisons certainly don't need to be tied up with weed issues with all the violent criminals that they already don't have enough funds or space for.
I'll go one step further and say that beyond the addiction it seems that smoking regularly causes real mental issues - depression, lack of motivation, and as a recent study supported I've actually known people who had psychosis which became worse over time with this addiction.

However, all that said, I still see little different with this "drug" from the other legal ones. Like tobacco, this drug does produce 2nd hand smoke and since there has been a major crackdown on smoking in buildings nationwide, pot-smoking likewise should be affected (lest others get second-hand high/impaired). Like alcohol, driving while under the influence, or doing anything physically or mentally demanding while under the influence is not smart when the safety of others is involved. Perhaps rather than complete legalization of these drugs, perhaps limited legalization makes the most sense.

Set an age at which you can legally purchase, make it illegal to advertise or sell the product to minors, make it a crime to be under the influence behind the wheel or when doing something like teaching others or practicing medicine, etc, or in buildings in which minors or others who don't want to be/or cannot be around 2nd hand smoke may be present outside of the home make it a crime to light up, and continue to fund both research into the effects of smoking (because research is lacking these days - numerous studies have been done, but most of them were poorly run and or inconclusive) as well as minor education. Lastly, make any crimes associated with breaking these laws unless one has truly endangered another person, a minor offense - not a felony. My reasoning is simply that there are bigger and more important things to worry about law-enforcement-wise and we need to be certain to continue to go after the murderers, rapists, pedophiles, violent criminals, and people that actually harm more than just themselves in any act.
 
Old 08-04-2007, 08:57 AM
 
25,641 posts, read 23,559,161 times
Reputation: 15463
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Marijuana will continue to be illegal as long as the law keeps NOT stepping on the toes of the wealthy when going about enforcing the marijuana laws. Can you imagine how loud the squeals from the wealthy parents at the state capitol would be in your state if, say, the narcs staged mass raids on the fraternities and sororities in the college towns? And also started raiding the wealthy neighborhoods for dope. If only that kind of stuff would happen you can bet that the laws against drugs would become at worse misdemeanors, if not outright legalized and regulated.

Again, I will state, weed is ILLEGAL, and if they do make raids on the college towns, fraternities, sororites, and you are caught, then I'd say....shame on you. Your parents trust YOU and Care about you so much that they have in the past probably for many years, put themselves aside, their wants, their dreams of vacations...everything aside, so that they could send you to college, probably b/c they want a better life for you...b/c they love you, b/c they more so trust you to appreciate what they have done....so now, your fighting for something that gets you high...to party until you are stoned to hades...and drink....well let me tell you...trusting your children enough to allow them to be their own boss, they're own young adults, future leaders of this country, this world...remember, where ever you may be....for now...POT, WEED IS ILLEGAL....and when you think about getting high and there's nothing wrong with it...think about the fact that there might be this ONE time when you get caught....and that one time...will be all it takes to reach inside your parents and pull out their hearts...b/c you wanted to get high, cause you didn't care about how hard they worked to give you something more...about how much they love you...and now, in one second, b/c you wanted to get high, in that one second, you've managed to hurt them, beyond repair...and jeprodize your college education, your future....do you have any idea, the pain you will be causing several people...not to mention...all those years of hard work and saving....?????

Think about it...right now it is ILLEGAL...its against the law....regardless if you think it's right or not....

Illegal means just that....and is a very powerful word...when it comes to good and bad...your future, your career, but most of all, your parents who worked their butts off, for years, to put you where you are right now...if it wouldn't be for them and their concern for you....you wouldn't be in college right now. You'd be working in some Mikey Dee's wearing a uniform, with no concept of a better future...just living in the moment...for the rest of your days....think about how lucky you are...and what you have, especially when you pull up to some fast food place, that person who says, can I help you...could be you for the rest of your life, if it were not for your parents. So, if I were you..I'd think about that before I'd think about how cool you are with the rest of your friends...getting high....??????? or drunk....or worse, driving with someone who is...it can all end...like a snap of a finger...I know...my son's step brother and his frat buddies were having fun on spring break...getting drunk, getting high...four of them were killed, instantly...gone...like that! I wonder how often my son's step brother wishes he could take that one night and turn it around. It's illegal folks....period.


Sincerely
Creme
 
Old 08-04-2007, 09:23 AM
 
450 posts, read 402,775 times
Reputation: 87
against

my sister had pot, sometimes so much she was messed up, could get anything done etc but that's like beers being drunk

thing is she wanted a bigger high then a bigger one in the end and has been nbow for 7 years an heroin addict

now if you have had someone close to you and seen what drugs does then you would be against it too

that's my reason seing a young beautiful woman who could have been a model had many degrees turn into a theif, etc heroin addict who has now ecome so skinny it is sick
 
Old 08-04-2007, 09:43 AM
 
343 posts, read 149,674 times
Reputation: 126
Cremebrulee,
This is a good post you are a thoughtful person, yet you are the perfect example of the thinking inside the box that keeps pot illegal. I read you bio just now. Your bio indicates to me that you buy into the foolishness that is the Da Vinci Code. You base the premise of your lecture on illegality that it is wrong because it is illegal...period.
Well, isn't it illegal to captivate, if not capture, the minds of millions on the idiotic premise of the Da Vinci Code, purely in the pursuit of wealth based on such charlatain insanity. Maybe poisoning the minds of millions that can't think critically beyond their noses should be illegal, but it is not.
Shouldn't it be a crime for Americans to pour billions of dollars into a war that promises freedom from oppression and down right devastation ,only to find out the money has been squandered and stolen.
I could go on and on with the injustices and with a little help we could fill pages of injustices that should be illegal. Perfectly all right in the eyes of the "law". All too often the "law" is written by fat, mindless, old thieves with only their interest in mind. I believe in the rule of law. I am not advocating insurrection. However, it is the sheeple, the blind followers of institutional law, small animals that have fallen into that pit, that perpetuate that insanity.
Are any of these people going to jail on your justification that it is illegal? Yet one of those kids that you supervise is found with a roach in the ash tray and just maybe gets a record he can't escape, that good job he deserves. Yet the priviledged Clintons & Bushies of the world it is no matter. You made your own justification of why it should be legal.
"The whiskey drinking menopausal imprison the pot smoking youth".
 
Old 08-04-2007, 09:48 AM
 
702 posts, read 2,847,418 times
Reputation: 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by KAINTUCK View Post
Cremebrulee,
This is a good post you are a thoughtful person, yet you are the perfect example of the thinking inside the box that keeps pot illegal. I read you bio just now. Your bio indicates to me that you buy into the foolishness that is the Da Vinci Code. You base the premise of your lecture on illegality that it is wrong because it is illegal...period.
Well, isn't it illegal to captivate, if not capture, the minds of millions on the idiotic premise of the Da Vinci Code, purely in the pursuit of wealth based on such charlatain insanity. Maybe poisoning the minds of millions that can't think critically beyond their noses should be illegal, but it is not.
Shouldn't it be a crime for Americans to pour billions of dollars into a war that promises freedom from oppression and down right devastation ,only to find out the money has been squandered and stolen.
I could go on and on with the injustices and with a little help we could fill pages of injustices that should be illegal. Perfectly all right in the eyes of the "law". All too often the "law" is written by fat, mindless, old thieves with only their interest in mind. I believe in the rule of law. I am not advocating insurrection. However, it is the sheeple, the blind followers of institutional law, small animals that have fallen into that pit, that perpetuate that insanity.
Are any of these people going to jail on your justification that it is illegal? Yet one of those kids that you supervise is found with a roach in the ash tray and just maybe gets a record he can't escape, that good job he deserves. Yet the priviledged Clintons & Bushies of the world it is no matter. You made your own justification of why it should be legal.
"The whiskey drinking menopausal imprison the pot smoking youth".
I have a reply...HUH?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top