U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2007, 01:03 PM

18,696 posts, read 35,420,950 times

Advertisements

That's why I say put the standards in place first. Those folks aren't supposed to be imbibing in alcohol, they shouldn't this either.

For most folks the BAC is .08, but for a professional driver it's a lot lower. So if they carefully put the standards in place, first, it might be ok.

Last edited by ElkHunter; 08-06-2007 at 01:14 PM..

Old 08-06-2007, 01:05 PM

323 posts, read 969,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgussler View Post
That's why I say put the standards in place first. Those folks aren't supposed to be imbibing in alcohol, they should this either.

For most folks the BAC is .08, but for a professional driver it's a lot lower. So if they carefully put the standards in place, first, it might be ok.
While I understand what you're saying here.... if you put "standards" for arguments sake let's rename these "restrictions" if you will... They only thing they'll do is break THOSE laws, the same as they break the illegal laws NOW. I just think that if someone believes they should have the right to do something, and disregard the laws stopping them, they'll disregard any restrictions as well.

Old 08-06-2007, 01:15 PM

18,696 posts, read 35,420,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desiree253 View Post
While I understand what you're saying here.... if you put "standards" for arguments sake let's rename these "restrictions" if you will... They only thing they'll do is break THOSE laws, the same as they break the illegal laws NOW. I just think that if someone believes they should have the right to do something, and disregard the laws stopping them, they'll disregard any restrictions as well.
You're probably correct. Just seems that if we set up some laws, it would take the number down. But who knows?

Old 08-06-2007, 02:34 PM

54,151 posts, read 38,236,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgussler View Post
I do not/have not smoked it. However, I have no heart burn with it being legalized as long as they can put some standards in place. I.e. same strength, not mild in one bag and knock your socks off in another. Should be set up like the tabacco and alcohol industry. Develope methods of testing like blood alcohol level and set up standards on what is impaired and what is ok.

And just like alcohol, license to make and distribute. However you can grow some for your own consumption, not to be distributed and sold.

If they put all that in place, I would have no heartburn checking that box on a ballet.

But, there are some drawbacks. For instance, military. Do you want to walk in and find the guy on the radar, watching for incoming, has just returned from a smoke break? Of go to get on a Greyhound and the driver is standing there taking his last drag? So some tough regs would have to accompany the legalization.

All in all a very reasonable approach.

I certainly wouldn't want to see the guy watching radar or driving a Greyhound taking a smoke break just as I woudln't want to see a Margarita perched up on the radar console or dashboard. And if anything the smoke has less of a hangover effect, given the choice I'd rather be at the mercy of someone who was stoned yesterday than someone who was drunk.

I believe a reasonable approach would save considerable $$$$ that are now wasted on a losing war on drugs and allow them to be used more effectively.

Old 08-06-2007, 05:46 PM

17,279 posts, read 24,965,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuharai View Post
Personally, I think if marijuana was ever legalized, it would be under the same rules and regulations of say, morphine.

I just don't think that the government would allow open use of such a powerful drug. From their perspective, if they legalized it openly and (I'll use Desiree's example) a pilot smokes it and crashes into.. let's say a school. Who's at fault? The judge who made the drug legal will be put to fault.

Lawsuits would be through the roof.

Local Police stations would not make as much money on auction vehicles, vehicles that get confiscated from drug raids and sold at low cost.

As jgussler says, why can't you use the same prohibitions currently in place against the use of alcohol while flying, driving, diagnosing patients, at work, etc. etc. etc.?

Let people have it socially, at home, whatever floats their boat... so long as they don't go "drive while high?"

Old 08-07-2007, 12:36 AM

13,723 posts, read 25,301,104 times
Expand mass transit in cities and it won't matter so much if people have had a bit to smoke a little earlier.

I leave it alone 'til I know I'm not going anywhere for awhile....

Old 08-08-2007, 12:47 PM

28 posts, read 111,463 times
Desiree,

I don't want my pilot, Dr, Nurse, Child Care provider, etc, etc smoking pot while at work, anymore than I would want them to partake in alcohol or any type of pain pill, etc WHILE AT WORK or caring for others. However, if they want to on their time off, that's their business.

And as for all "pot heads", they do not ALL smoke pot to escape from reality, some smoke to relieve pain. My father, was terminally ill with cancer and could not eat, (the cancer had spread to his stomach and other organs) smoking pot would have helped him, GREATLY, however, because it was illegal, he wouldn't touch it! Even though, he could have taken it legally, he still considered it a drug. I actually begged him to take it, to watch him waste away and KNOW there was something that could help him ( help, NOT cure) and to know that he wouldn't use it, it was just heart breaking.

I still stand behind my other opinions on this, too! This is just one more reason!

Old 08-08-2007, 02:16 PM

8,323 posts, read 13,147,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
As jgussler says, why can't you use the same prohibitions currently in place against the use of alcohol while flying, driving, diagnosing patients, at work, etc. etc. etc.?

Let people have it socially, at home, whatever floats their boat... so long as they don't go "drive while high?"
Like I said, IF it were to get legalized, it would have regulations involved. And knowing our <sarcasm> beloved government </sarcasm> it would be ranked with morphine that it can't be used at home, blah blah blah.

I personally have no problem with pot smokers. As long as they don't drive while high or do other stupid things. Smoking pot in ones own home doesn't bother me.

Old 08-08-2007, 02:19 PM

3 posts, read 8,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyHateMachine View Post
Just want to know what people think about this subject. Why are you for it and against it. Please elaborate, thanks.
If you legalize it then we would not need any more police to punish those using it. It might help those who need it for medical problems. Just like any drug, cigarettes, alcohol, grass, why not make them all legal so we can collect the taxes that will create.

Old 08-08-2007, 07:34 PM

343 posts, read 147,296 times
You can chase it, penalize it, fine, jail, imprison, for a hundred years. You will not even slow it down a little. Those who have never tried it- should ,before they assassinte the character of those that have. You would find it pretty benign. Especially if you have taken anything prescription that changes your percepton of reality, by comparison it is benign. The pharmaceutical industry in this country has the most to gain by it being illegal. They make billions on mood altering drugs that pot readily supplants. It produces a mild euphoria in most cases. Nowadays, the level of THC bred into the plant can be over intoxicating. Again, another reason for legality.

Pot also provides the resources to promote the other truly bad things. Crack, coke,meth. heroin -all those things that only a fool would take. Legalize pot you pull the rug out from under many of societies truly detrimental problems.
With all due respect policemen improve their careers by spending too much time on eradication. That time better spent on truly harmful crime.
There is a prejudice against the drug that is truly unfair as compared to alcohol and nicotine. We might all readily admit that we would be better off without any of them. Point is -that is wishful thinking. I have known many very successful people that use pot responsibly. Most rarely use it anymore. It is something you tend to grow out of. Another demonstration of irresponsible prohibitionist propoganda. If offered to me today I doubt I would take it. If you ever catch me out on the beach at sunset with my lovely lady of 34 years and the mood is perfect...I might hit it once. Bring brownies!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies