U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2006, 11:36 AM

1,104 posts, read 3,061,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariatherese View Post
the prohibition days created a lot of crime! people were killed over alcohol. sounds silly today, though. i think it would be the same thing if we legalized pot- the idea of peole getting killed over pot would sound silly.
I'm not sure how I feel about this subject. I haven't researched it enough, but this has always entered my mind because I read so much about the crime associated with people dealing in pot.

Old 10-28-2006, 11:41 AM

269 posts, read 945,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Very much against it for Biblical reasons. I don't think anything good can come from it. I have seen the damage it has done to members of my family.
Just curious, are you against alcohol (wine) as well?

Never mind...saw the answer. If you are consistent, I totally respect your opinion.

Old 10-28-2006, 11:55 AM

269 posts, read 945,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariatherese View Post

3) so, this brings me to my conclusion: if one thinks that alcohol should be legal (with limits, like age and no driving, etc) then i think one should feel the same way about pot.

if you do not agree with this, please tell me why. why is marijuana worse than alcohol?
Pretty much exactly my opinion. I spoked pot in college and loved it. It was not a gateway to anything else, and it didn't make me angry or break any other laws. It made me want to eat Cap'n Crunch, watch cartoons, and play frisbee.

That said...I am now married with children and feel that it would be irresponsible of me to do drugs or drink while I am responsible for the lives of others. I'll still have a couple of glasses of wine or beers once in a while..but that's about it.

In my opinion, if alcohol has been deemed safe enough to be a legal substance available to the masses, than for mj to be illegal is absolutely ridiculous.

Old 10-28-2006, 12:05 PM

622 posts, read 2,503,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scamutz View Post
In my opinion, if alcohol has been deemed safe enough to be a legal substance available to the masses, than for mj to be illegal is absolutely ridiculous.
my thoughts exactly!

Old 10-28-2006, 06:38 PM

1,529 posts, read 1,983,748 times
No.

-With it legalized, it will still be sold non taxed on the streets (Same way Newports are sold on the streets in NYC). Still a crime.

-Dealers in low income areas will turn to other drugs to sell (With smaller consumer base). Competition will be fierce and violent crime will spike nationwide.

Old 10-28-2006, 06:59 PM

692 posts, read 2,375,424 times
If your old or disabled, don't drive, and are not around kids,
than go for it. IMHO if you busted your hump and served society
all your life, you have earned it. Don't touch the stuff myself,
but maybe I'll start a herb garden when the time comes.

Last edited by danco; 10-28-2006 at 07:02 PM.. Reason: Clarification

Old 10-28-2006, 09:21 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,151,129 times
for medical reasons only we have enough problems in the world why introduce ppl that can't control there normal habbits get more. most of us dabbled with it when younger but as we grew up we did this big thing called becoming responsable are there medical benifits to pot yes but beyond that no it makes ppl become berdins on society as a whole. have fun when young but when the time comes grow up.

Old 10-28-2006, 10:06 PM

622 posts, read 2,503,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhyrnut View Post
for medical reasons only we have enough problems in the world why introduce ppl that can't control there normal habbits get more. most of us dabbled with it when younger but as we grew up we did this big thing called becoming responsable are there medical benifits to pot yes but beyond that no it makes ppl become berdins on society as a whole. have fun when young but when the time comes grow up.
so- its OK to do the illegal activity when young, but lets hope you dont get put in jail for it? ??? the reason why i want to make it legal is because i think a lot of innocent people out there who are just experimenting or having a good time shouldnt be put in jail. more criminals in jail=more of a burden on society.

Old 10-28-2006, 11:13 PM

1,696 posts, read 3,060,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustla718 View Post
No.

-With it legalized, it will still be sold non taxed on the streets (Same way Newports are sold on the streets in NYC). Still a crime.

-Dealers in low income areas will turn to other drugs to sell (With smaller consumer base). Competition will be fierce and violent crime will spike nationwide.
Dealers in low income areas already HAVE turned to other drugs to sell (crack, heroin, etc.).

In my opinion, partly formed from professional experience, the criminalization of drugs basically does nothing more than feed the jail-industrial complex- and corrections is very much an industry. Legalize drugs, you can have government regulation, which would lead to the end of the black market, the end of all the violence it entails, and the end of all the other related crimes that sometimes happen to make the drug use possible at all, such as theft, burglary, robbery, carjackings, etc. The government can make the drug trafficking trade stop being so lucrative, which would actually go a long way towards reducing the overall supply, too. But along with legalization, a huge effort needs to be made to address the societal ills which lead people to use in the first place.

I know this is verboten to say, but we've been fighting this "War on Drugs" for 25 years now, and we're not winning. But we keep fighting the problem the same way. To call it a "War" makes the government sound pro-active and effective, but it's really not at all. People might not agree with my ideas, but I think it's pretty evident that we need to be doing SOMETHING different.

Old 10-28-2006, 11:31 PM

13,495 posts, read 33,472,376 times
YES, I believe it should be legal for medical reasons, but they need to trim down the amount of plants that the user is allowed to have. Our state (So. Dak) will be voting on the legality of it in Nov. It would require the prescription of a Dr. and of course would include not driving while smoking. They're proposing that the user could have up to 5 plants which would actually yield enough for the whole neighborhood. That's the part I don't agree with.

And no, I definitely don't use it although I have to admit that 30 to 35 years ago, I may have imbibed in it a bit. But of course, I never inhaled. I've had a couple of major health problems in the past and have been on drugs that are much more mind altering then marijuana is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies