U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2007, 02:43 PM

2,008 posts, read 2,908,409 times

Advertisements

one thing to remember, is that when one buys pot, they have to go to someone that is usually pretty shady. when you buy alcohol. you can do it in a more comfortable environment. but the biggest part of it is that the pot dealer is going to do something that you probably wouldn't approve of with the cash you gave him/her. depending on where the dealer got the drugs, that money may go to buy something like a gun that will probably get used in another crime.

i have very seldom seen liquor store owners in the news for a street shooting unless he just got robbed.

that's my biggest reason to legalize. you buy something on the black market, you are funding other things under the umbrella of the black market, things that are not very friendly at all.

sure, the cash you send to the owners of the miller corp, or jack daniels may go to someone you don't like, but pot money goes to outright thugs and drug lords and very rarely will someone get killed over it over beer money.

Old 12-18-2007, 02:48 PM

625 posts, read 879,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post
Why it isn't legal is beyond me, could it be that it would be so easy to grow yourself, with the help of grow lights? Not too many people brew their own beer or grow their own tobacco crops.
It's not difficult to grow, but the biggest incentive for people to grow it is that it's illegal, which drives up the price. Once Wal-Mart starts selling cartons for $30 (or whatever a reasonable price is), there will be far less incentive for people to grow it at home. I don't think we need to worry about most people growing their own because it won't be worth the effort. Of course there will be a few people who do grow their own, but who cares?

Quote:
I would much rather be around some pot-smokers than drunks - any day!
Agreed!

Old 12-18-2007, 03:24 PM

13,047 posts, read 12,471,759 times
Marijuana is illegal because politicians fear they would be voted out of office, if they advocated legalizing it. Probably most of them would even fear making it legal for medical purposes. For instance, presidential candidate Mitt Romney opposes legal medical marijuana and made that stand clear in the face of a medical marijuana patient seated in a wheel chair.

So marijuana stands a better chance when politicians start fearing that they will be voted out of office if they oppose legalizing it. While this forum favors legalizing it, I doubt if it represents what most people feel about marijuana out there in the real political and voting world. About all we're doing here is singing to the choir.

Old 12-18-2007, 04:16 PM

625 posts, read 879,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Marijuana is illegal because politicians fear they would be voted out of office, if they advocated legalizing it. Probably most of them would even fear making it legal for medical purposes. For instance, presidential candidate Mitt Romney opposes legal medical marijuana and made that stand clear in the face of a medical marijuana patient seated in a wheel chair.

So marijuana stands a better chance when politicians start fearing that they will be voted out of office if they oppose legalizing it. While this forum favors legalizing it, I doubt if it represents what most people feel about marijuana out there in the real political and voting world. About all we're doing here is singing to the choir.
Well, it's mostly older people, who have bought into the anti-drug propaganda, that oppose legalization. They'll eventually die, and then we can fix this problem.

Old 12-18-2007, 04:40 PM

407 posts, read 1,047,742 times
I admit I experimented with pot back in high school, but I am totally against it simply for the fact that I have seen many of my friends that constantly use it become DEPENDENT on it to cure their ills. It seemed like the more they used it, the less motivation they had in life in general and kind of just settled for "whatever". To make it even more sad, many of these people have children now and continue to use pot on an almost daily basis, some even smoke it around their children! I dont know about you, but I think that is just pathetic and sad not just because there exposing their children directly to the drug, but less motivated parents= less motivated children (most of the time) and the cycle continues, making these people more apt to commit crime IMO. I think that if there was some way to purge pot out of our society, we would be better off.

Old 12-18-2007, 04:47 PM

13,047 posts, read 12,471,759 times
Well, obviously, banning marijuana sure doesn't work good enough to keep a lot of people off of it. Those who are opposed to legalizing marijuana are merely defending the failed system of prohibition.

I'm sure lots of people want to purge alcohol out of our society as well. But that was tried and failed. To purge marijuana and alcohol from society you'd have to also purge the people who use such drugs through prison. The high expense required from society from building enough prisons to do so would be too overwhelming to bear. Also many of the rights and freedoms of law abiding people, much more than they are now, would have to end up being purged in order to really find and get at the people who use such drugs.

Last edited by StillwaterTownie; 12-18-2007 at 05:00 PM..

Old 12-18-2007, 07:53 PM

2 posts, read 2,418 times
For it! Iwonder what the stats are for crime in the bible areas vs non bible areas

Old 12-19-2007, 04:28 AM

79 posts, read 187,817 times
Seems to me that I should have the right to smoke it and as soon as I retire and don't have to worry about drug tests I will. Just because some people can't act responsibly doesn't mean I can't. Besides in so many respects it is legal. For first timers, it is slap on the wrist, perhaps a fine. It is as common as a cold in all segments of society anyway.

Old 12-21-2007, 11:42 PM

133 posts, read 486,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatis View Post
one thing to remember, is that when one buys pot, they have to go to someone that is usually pretty shady. when you buy alcohol. you can do it in a more comfortable environment.

I buy my weed at this really nice apartment complex with gated entry, pools, spas, a massage parlor, and my dealer's apartment has all this space, wooden floors, really fancy furniture, pretty much the works. My dad buys his alcohol at this really disgusting liquor store with peeling linoleum floors, cockroaches and rats. Hahaha.

Old 12-22-2007, 01:25 PM

2,008 posts, read 2,908,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by part_iv View Post
I buy my weed at this really nice apartment complex with gated entry, pools, spas, a massage parlor, and my dealer's apartment has all this space, wooden floors, really fancy furniture, pretty much the works. My dad buys his alcohol at this really disgusting liquor store with peeling linoleum floors, cockroaches and rats. Hahaha.
yeah, there are exceptions. but the guy that you get if from may not have got it from such a nice place, or from a "good" person and your dad can always go to a different store. what i meant with comfortable environment was that when you buy alcohol, you don't have to worry about the cops picking you up at any time, as where with weed it is always something you have in mind, at least if you live in a place where weed is pretty restricted like it is here.

most of what i object to is that a lot of the time pot money goes to horrible people, as where booze money just goes to people that are less than stellar or a little shady.

sometimes you can find pot at a place like you mention, but a lot of the time you have go to "that part of town" and talk to some guy with a few guns and a bunch of tattoos he got in prison. and frankly, those people don't make me feel comfortable, i have never really got the vibe that the liquor store guy might want to beat or kill me if they get a bad feeling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies