U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 12-23-2007, 12:00 AM
 
69,372 posts, read 53,736,817 times
Reputation: 9357

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye48 View Post
Pot should be left up to the individual states to regulate.

States that want to, like California, should be allowed to regulate it for medical uses if they desire. Also, I'd also like to see it not legalized, but decriminalized. It's a subtle difference, but a distinctive one.
You mean FOLLOW the constitution? nooo.. why that would be a new idea in America..

 
Old 12-23-2007, 04:55 AM
 
613 posts, read 1,155,648 times
Reputation: 187
the thing people don't realize is marijuana isn't illegal because its detrimental to your health and safety. the real reason has its roots in racial prejudice and social stigma. ill first explain why its not because of health or safety.
all unbiased studies have shown marijuana to be a relatively harmless, and all studies that have said otherwise have been shown to be biased and their scientific methods have been questioned to say the least. the most known study that claims marijuana causes brain damage is the one in which they forced monkeys to inhale ungodly amounts of smoke that a regular user couldn't smoke in a months time. obviously if someone inhales that much smoke from anything there will be a lack of oxygen to the brain causing brain damage. if you take the time to research you'll find many of the things you've heard to be false. heres just one little bit of information http://paranoia.lycaeum.org/marijuana/facts/3-mj-myths
as to driving while high, this might spark some criticism, but at reasonable doses to a regular user being stoned does not inhibit ones ability to drive. risking more criticism ill say i know this first hand. this is one area that the paranoia that marijuana does cause actually helps. driving while high actually makes you more alert because you have a paranoia of being caught or injured. i've driven stoned numerous times, often in the presence of cops. they say they can tell if someone is driving while impaired because they are trained to notice. i have never been pulled over. well, at least for a dwi. furthermore, i know a lot of potheads most of which drive. they also drive when stoned. i haven't noticed them being high has any effect on their driving either. nobody ever gets a dwi for weed. nobody ever gets in an accident because of weed. i once tried driving while drunk, and while i don't want to turn this into a alcohol is worse for you, which it obviously is, i'm lucky i didn't crash or hit anyone or wind up dead. driving while stoned feels like a video game that you know game over is going to be in real life. driving while drunk is like watching yourself drive and being unaware of what you are doing. now im not saying newbs can do it or anyone can at high doses, but unlike alcohol while high youll be able to realize if youre impaired to the point where you won't be able to drive and you will probably not want to if you feel you cant. heres a clip i found on youtube about driving on pot.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLmHL7YznUI
as to addiction, yes pot is addictive. it is just as addictive as anything you enjoy. some smokers might say they need pot, or that they cant function with out it. this gets down to why they first decided to use drugs. they are usually depressed. marijuana gives smokers a sense of euphoria, and also happiness. it might also be because they are stressed with things and marijuana calms them giving them the ability to "function" or think clearer. pot smokers need pot like people who are depressed need anti-depressants prescribed by a doctor. last year and the year before that i smoked pot every day in large quantities. now im not even a smoker. its not because i quit its just because i don't feel like spending my hard earned money on it, and i don't want to smoke up all my friends hard earned money either. though once in a great while if they insist ill catch a small buzz. now if i just decided that i didn't want to spend money on ciggs, which are highly physically addictive, anymore i would go through 3 weeks of hell before i could completely kick the habit.
some people say that marijuana is a "gateway drug", and will lead you into harder more addictive drugs. i sort of agree with that, and i must admit i've tried them all. but when you think about the reasons it is a "gateway drug" you realize its because its illegal. a pot smoker is more exposed to hard drugs because of it being illegal because it connects them with people who are into more harder drugs. thats one reason why i think it should be legalized. also when someone starts smoking pot they realize that it isn't that bad, and all that bullcrap propaganda is wrong. then they might start thinking all drugs must not be that bad, and they get curious. but actually when i tried more harder drugs it felt dirty to me unlike pot, and i started to feel the addiction coming. it scared me into not doing any of them ever again. most pot smokers are like that. also a good percentage of them will usually just say no to begin with because they see what it does to people.
now if its not illegal because it is detrimental to your health and safety why is it? i guess you have to look back at how and why it was made illegal in the first place http://blogs.salon.com/0002762/stories/2003/12/22/whyIsMarijuanaIllegal.html (broken link)

yes marijuana should be legalized. it should never have been made illegal to begin with
 
Old 12-23-2007, 07:32 AM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,685,038 times
Reputation: 3785
I have not smoked 'herb' since 1984-------the main reason it, like moonshine one never knows what marijuana is 'cut' with unless you grow your own.

Besides; the TCH of today's pot is about twice the percentage compared to the 1970's.

That stated: I would like to see marijuana legal; the regulatory machinery is already in place but modify the laws to suit as in max amount allowed in your bloodstream for DUI (Driving Under the Influence), taxation, quality control as well as public consumption which tobacco smoking laws already address.

OTOH: re: drinking, drop the BAC for DUI enforcement purposes down to .04 which is already the law for CDL holders and make .08 for an extreme DUI.

Ask any police officer and virtually all agree they prefer to deal with a 'stoner' than a drunk.

Marijuana is something of an anti depressant whereas booze shuts down a person' inhibitions. Most pot heads do not wish to fight, etc. yet we all know how some drunks are.
 
Old 12-24-2007, 11:10 PM
 
613 posts, read 1,155,648 times
Reputation: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
I have not smoked 'herb' since 1984-------the main reason it, like moonshine one never knows what marijuana is 'cut' with unless you grow your own.

Besides; the TCH of today's pot is about twice the percentage compared to the 1970's.

That stated: I would like to see marijuana legal; the regulatory machinery is already in place but modify the laws to suit as in max amount allowed in your bloodstream for DUI (Driving Under the Influence), taxation, quality control as well as public consumption which tobacco smoking laws already address.

OTOH: re: drinking, drop the BAC for DUI enforcement purposes down to .04 which is already the law for CDL holders and make .08 for an extreme DUI.

Ask any police officer and virtually all agree they prefer to deal with a 'stoner' than a drunk.

Marijuana is something of an anti depressant whereas booze shuts down a person' inhibitions. Most pot heads do not wish to fight, etc. yet we all know how some drunks are.
marijuana isnt 'cut'. cutting a drug is when you mix other substances into the drug with the purpose of making more out of less. such as taking a gram of cocaine and cutting it with 2 grams of bakingsoda giving you 3 grams of cocaine and 3 times the profit. most people wont buy weed if it is already ground up, and if they do they are just asking to get ripped-off. as its hard to tell if your buying actual weed, or if anything else is in it. with that said things can be sprayed or sprinkled on the buds. if it is another drug they are lacing it with the dealer will advertise it. if he doesn't and sells it at the normal price hes losing money, and has no reason to lace it with another drug. if its some random house hold chemicals theres ways of detecting it. such as, it will most likely smell different. you also might notice a powdery substance at the bottom of the bag or on the buds that doesn't look normal. you will be able to taste it instantly if you start smoking.
its not like marijuana has evolved to become super potent. new methods of growing marijuana have been invented that increase the thc content. some marijuana is still grown the same as in 70s. THE POT THAT HAS MORE THC IS A GOOD THING. IT REQUIRES TO YOU SMOKE LESS TO GET THE SAME HIGH!!!!
 
Old 12-30-2007, 10:12 AM
 
2 posts, read 13,197 times
Reputation: 10
deffinitly should be legalized.
the ONLY reason that marijuana is illegal is because the government cannot put a tax on it. in the long run, billionaires want to remain billionaires.
 
Old 01-01-2008, 08:24 AM
 
Location: UK
131 posts, read 288,659 times
Reputation: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark View Post
That's not true. Marijuana has more effects than getting the munchies and destroying a bag of Dorito chips. I smoked pot a bit in my post navy rebellion and it interfered with my vision, my depth perception, and my reaction times. I knew for a fact that to get in my truck and drive would have endangered both me and others on the road. I knew and felt my faculties diminished. It also made me extremely lethargic. It's rightfully prohibited as a controlled substance. For medical purposes, I have no problem with it, as long as it's properly dispensed and sold/administered by a licensed Medical Doctor prescribing it for a specific reason/purpose and within limits.
Doesnt this show its not as bad a alcohol...when you are pissed you think you are invincible...when you are stoned you know you are a moron that shouldnt be driving so you dont, plus the fact that turning the key would problably be too much bother so you just chill.
I smoke weed basicly everyday. im not really bothered whether its legalised or not because its always going to be available no matter what. I think its unreasonable for alcohol to be legal and cannabis to be illegal but then i also think that no drug should be illegal as i think everybody should have the right to put what they like into thier own bodies and experience things they want to experience.
 
Old 01-01-2008, 08:32 AM
 
Location: On another site. This one is lame :) Trying to give it a second chance though.
105 posts, read 51,772 times
Reputation: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyHateMachine View Post
Just want to know what people think about this subject. Why are you for it and against it. Please elaborate, thanks.
Yes, we should legalize and tax it. I have never personally used it, and never will, but on paper it's no worse than alcohol or cigarettes.

"Marlboro Joints" - $15 pack, 60% of that should be tax, just like cigarettes.
 
Old 03-09-2008, 01:10 AM
 
3 posts, read 4,819 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marks View Post
I totaly agree with mlynnsoucy's post exactly right.

I am opposed to it for the following:

1. Religious and moral reasons.
2. Physical and mental effects.
3. Opens the door to other things.

I will confess between the ages of 16-23 I was a heavy user. The effects on my mind and body were awful. THC does kill brain cells, and smoking pot does lead to stronger drugs I know. But God rescued me 20 years ago and thanks be to Him for His grace to save!
1. "Religious and moral reasons"
Then God said, "Let the earth sprout vegetation: plants yielding seed, and fruit trees on the earth bearing fruit after their kind with seed in them"; and it was so. Genesis 1:11. One can infer that God gave us all the plants yes...even the ganja for our use (I do however think that we should be responsible though). And morality is arbitrary anyway. Marijuana is illegal because of its association to people who aren't in the mainstream (...meaning /christian/lexus driving/suburb dwelling/WASP/Caucasians corporate/counter to status quo people). On a side-note, the very essence of Jesus was against the mainstream of his day. Thats probably why they trumped up some charges and conveniently executed him.

2. "Physical and Mental effects"
You mean like increased relaxations, pressure reducing qualities and heightened senses? Not to mention the myriad of treatment possibilities it presents to numerous people with debilitating and terminal ill diseases. It would be inhuman to deny any person, whether they partake for the reason of wellness or recreation, access to this natural god-given plant.

3. "Opens the Door for other things"
Not really according to clinical studies. You know like the Shaffer report? (http://www.csdp.org/research/shafernixon.pdf) ...ifyou feel like educating yourself. It was an independent, scientific report about the actual facts regarding marijuana presented to Nixon. Which he subsequently threw out because it didn't fit with his "Law and Order" B.S.. (yet another freedom taken away because of some politician putting his agenda in front of his constituents...who put him in office to begin with). But I digress....

But with respect I will say that everyones position is valid relative to his/her. The universe/God (...its' all the same thing) gave you freedom to live your life the way it makes sense to you...just open your mind up even if you disagree personally.

Last edited by skip100; 03-09-2008 at 01:12 AM.. Reason: link fix
 
Old 03-09-2008, 03:24 AM
 
Location: Northridge/Porter Ranch, Calif.
22,161 posts, read 26,693,112 times
Reputation: 6447
Quote:
Originally Posted by skip100 View Post
3. "Opens the Door for other things"
Not really according to clinical studies. You know like the Shaffer report? (http://www.csdp.org/research/shafernixon.pdf) ...ifyou feel like educating yourself. It was an independent, scientific report about the actual facts regarding marijuana presented to Nixon. Which he subsequently threw out because it didn't fit with his "Law and Order" B.S.. (yet another freedom taken away because of some politician putting his agenda in front of his constituents...who put him in office to begin with). But I digress....
"Every time we pick up a youngster who's dropping acid, 9 times out of 10 he's holding marijuana. I judge weed by the company it keeps."

Sgt. Joe Friday, Dragnet

More info here:
Fact Sheet - MARIJUANA

Marijuana Causes Many Deaths Reported as 'Accidents'
 
Old 03-09-2008, 07:38 AM
 
Location: El Paso, TX
5,080 posts, read 7,698,290 times
Reputation: 1105
As a cop, I am against it.. I have seen what it does to a person. It is often the lead in to bigger better drugs, it effects the brain in abnormal ways, makes you lazy and uncaring.. I have been on crime scenes where a child has died as a result of the parent/parents being stoned and not remembering they put the baby in the bath or left them out to get into something they should not have. Then there is a laced stuff that gets you addicted to PCP, and other hard core drugs.

Medical Marijuana can be given in other forms, like a pill.. there are other legal drugs that can be used to address glaucoma and other illness.. Marijuana is not the answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top