U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2008, 05:26 AM

52 posts, read 202,034 times

Advertisements

"I state my opinion and suddenly I'm telling everyone what to do? I don't think so....what I do think is that your mad that I refuted the old "its just a plant, and everything from nature is good and benign' crap argument.
The fact is, pot is not completely benign, anymore then beer is. Should it be illegal? Probably not. Should it be highly regulated if it were to become legal? Yes. Can we as a country afford to undertake such a huge beurocratic nightmare at this time......no, we can't."

No, you don't have to agree with the argument that it's ok b/c it's a plant. What really gets me upset is when people want to tell others what they can and can't do to their own bodies in the privacy of their home. Obviously if weed was legal it would have regulations similar to alcohol; age limit, no driving while intoxicated, etc...but to just put a blanket statement, that most who are against it do, "I think it's bad so no one should be allowed to use it" is absolutely against the entire idea of freedom. Freedom to choose.

One last time, if YOU don't want to smoke weed, then DON'T. No one is forcing you. But the idea that incriminating people who do is one of the biggest wastes of time, money and resources that I can think of. B/c even if you do think it's a "noble cause" or w/e, it's not working. People aren't going to stop. So maybe it's time you step back for a second and look at the whole picture. Or maybe you don't mind clogging up prisons and spending millions of tax dollars a year to house people who choose to smoke a plant that's never killed anyone ever in the history of the earth. Pretty obvious how ridiculous it really is if you look closer.

Old 06-06-2008, 07:39 AM

8,180 posts, read 11,038,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbags View Post
"I state my opinion and suddenly I'm telling everyone what to do? I don't think so....what I do think is that your mad that I refuted the old "its just a plant, and everything from nature is good and benign' crap argument.
The fact is, pot is not completely benign, anymore then beer is. Should it be illegal? Probably not. Should it be highly regulated if it were to become legal? Yes. Can we as a country afford to undertake such a huge beurocratic nightmare at this time......no, we can't."

No, you don't have to agree with the argument that it's ok b/c it's a plant. What really gets me upset is when people want to tell others what they can and can't do to their own bodies in the privacy of their home. Obviously if weed was legal it would have regulations similar to alcohol; age limit, no driving while intoxicated, etc...but to just put a blanket statement, that most who are against it do, "I think it's bad so no one should be allowed to use it" is absolutely against the entire idea of freedom. Freedom to choose.

One last time, if YOU don't want to smoke weed, then DON'T. No one is forcing you. But the idea that incriminating people who do is one of the biggest wastes of time, money and resources that I can think of. B/c even if you do think it's a "noble cause" or w/e, it's not working. People aren't going to stop. So maybe it's time you step back for a second and look at the whole picture. Or maybe you don't mind clogging up prisons and spending millions of tax dollars a year to house people who choose to smoke a plant that's never killed anyone ever in the history of the earth. Pretty obvious how ridiculous it really is if you look closer.
Wtf is your problem? Have I said that I want to clog up the prisons with potheads? No. Have I said that keeping pot illegal is a noble cause? No. What I have said is that is it should be legalized for the ill. As for the rest ---- it should be. My concern is that getting it legalized would be a complicated problematic and expensive endeavor. Put down the bong dude don't confuse me with anyone else on this board!

Old 06-06-2008, 08:39 AM

793 posts, read 1,950,865 times
Legalized NO, Decriminalized for small amount, then yes

Old 06-06-2008, 10:39 AM

52 posts, read 202,034 times
"Wtf is your problem? Have I said that I want to clog up the prisons with potheads? No. Have I said that keeping pot illegal is a noble cause? No. What I have said is that is it should be legalized for the ill. As for the rest ---- it should be. My concern is that getting it legalized would be a complicated problematic and expensive endeavor. Put down the bong dude don't confuse me with anyone else on this board!"

You don't have to say it, it's being done right now. And it has been done for years and years. I wasn't addressing you specifically in my entire post.

And like I said earlier, I don't smoke. Maybe you should put the bong down dude.

Old 06-06-2008, 05:04 PM

13,057 posts, read 12,482,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djf863000 View Post
Legalized NO, Decriminalized for small amount, then yes
I bet the drug pushers could easily live with that. As long as you refuse to believe legalizing drugs is the right thing to do, the drug pushers will be on your side and love you. In other words, they know they can't get rich selling something legal in the street, such as alcohol. Narcs estimate they only seize around 10% of the underground drug market, or just a little nuisance that drug pushers and the cartels write up as the cost of doing great business.

Old 06-06-2008, 06:01 PM

5,165 posts, read 8,082,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
I bet the drug pushers could easily live with that. As long as you refuse to believe legalizing drugs is the right thing to do, the drug pushers will be on your side and love you. In other words, they know they can't get rich selling something legal in the street, such as alcohol. Narcs estimate they only seize around 10% of the underground drug market, or just a little nuisance that drug pushers and the cartels write up as the cost of doing great business.
Actually, in the case of marijuana, you could still make a lot of money off of it if it is legal. Remember that marijuana is a plant, which means you can cross-breed it with other strains of marijuana to create a new strain. Not to mention, there are many different ways to grow it and all these things affect the potency. You ever heard of the Cannabis Cup in The Netherlands? It's basically a science fair for marijuana breeders. People that brought new strains had tons of customers wanting to buy their strain to try it out. Maybe you don't know (Just assuming.), but different strains of marijuana have different effects, so it isn't a 'tried one kind, tried it all' kind of thing. That's why the marijuana market will always be run by the common citizens. You just can't have a monopoly on it.

Old 06-06-2008, 09:22 PM

149 posts, read 511,971 times
I think marijuana should be legalized for anyone, not just the mentally ill. Far too much money and resources are wasted trying to eliminate pot off the streets, which I don't believe we will ever be able to do. Arresting and handcuffing someone for posession of a joint is ridiculous. That's more time that police officers would have to fight real crime. Marijuana is not the biggest threat to mankind. How much money could we save by releasing prisoners incarcerated for pot posession?

The only dilemna would be regarding employers. Although I don't believe pot to be a truly dangerous drug, it isn't without risks. Employers understandably do not want druggies as employees. Recreational use on the weekends are fine but how do you prove you're a weekend user?

Old 06-06-2008, 09:57 PM

1,818 posts, read 2,735,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
I think so too. Not just for myself, hey I like smoking the pot! But, my friend who passed away from cancer a few years ago, he really felt so much better when he smoked it. I see no problems w/pot, I don't feel it's an aggressive drug.
I'm sorry to hear about your friend and they do make medicinal marijuana,
I hope he was able to get it that way because it is much stronger.
I have never considered "pot" an evil drug, we have much worse drugs out there. I would not be surprised at all the pot busts they have made, that they take a little for themselves too

Old 06-17-2008, 10:19 PM

1 posts, read 1,037 times
Lightbulb Hi/ my opinion:

There are some people that could use marijuana for medical purposes. Some people are over sensitive to the medications docters try to perscribe. Side effects of some of them are just unbelievable. Instead of giving people medication that could make them suicidle, for stress for example, why not give them a drug that's not going to make them have permanent physical side effects for the rest of their life? I'm not saying lets give it to children???!....I'm saying, put an age limit on it like alcohol (which seems to have worse side effects in my opinion) or at least make it capable of perscription for people that could use it for good cause.

Old 06-17-2008, 10:27 PM

2,937 posts, read 2,913,814 times
No...I'm not in favor of legalizing it. How can we justify the witch hunt that is now going on against cigarette smoking, but at the same time legalize something that is smoked that is even more dangerous than cigarettes?

If its for a legitimate medicinal purpose, then I suppose that should be legal (although there has to be a different way in those cases other than smoking it).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies