Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2008, 12:14 AM

5,160 posts, read 9,172,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FightinPhils View Post
that is even more dangerous than cigarettes?
I'd like to see you back that statement up.

Old 07-02-2008, 12:34 AM

5,719 posts, read 6,447,937 times
I don't smoke marijuana... and I don't really respect those who do. I would think it should be legalized except for the fact that they smoke while driving and working. If they would cut that out I could support it.

Old 07-02-2008, 01:08 AM

1,058 posts, read 1,264,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
I don't smoke marijuana... and I don't really respect those who do. I would think it should be legalized except for the fact that they smoke while driving and working. If they would cut that out I could support it.
kind of like how people stopped drinking and driving and causing much more problems after alcohol became legal again, eh?

i don't really mind if pot becomes legal or not. i mean, well i do, i'd love it for it to be fully legalized. but i am realistic so all i am asking is just to leave the casual user or grower (who grows enough for personal use, not 100's of plants) alone. decriminalize it.

Old 07-02-2008, 08:24 AM

3,352 posts, read 6,663,303 times
Never touched the stuff, never plan to, should be legal for those who want to use it responsibly. Tax it, and enforce penalties for misuse just like we do for misusing alcohol (i.e., driving while impaired and selling to minors).

Old 07-02-2008, 08:40 AM

5,562 posts, read 5,682,859 times
I don't smoke legallize it.. If Drinking is legal, why not Pot. After all that doesnt mean you should have a celebration. Just make a law saying if you have pot no law will be written against you for possession or usage. But if you use drugs, drink and do something irresponsible while intoxicated you should have a strict penality. Example smoking pot which is really the current DUI law and if your at work and get high they can fire you.

Old 07-02-2008, 09:14 AM

1,955 posts, read 5,267,243 times
Of course it should be legalized, or, more precisely, decriminalized. The War on Drugs (just like the War on Poverty, the War on Terrorism, the War on Fill in the Blank with Your Favorite Abstract Concept) has failed and has been a phenomenal waste of taxpayers' money. Stop the war! Let a decriminalized drug market and common sense efforts by doctors, educators, parents and other (hopefully) intelligent people have their day. Drug use might go up for a while, but the violence that surrounds its criminalization would certainly go down. And a lot of money and lives would be saved in the meantime.

Old 07-26-2008, 05:28 PM

1 posts, read 1,217 times
I believe the internet will resolve this issue once and for all in the near future. All those with no evidence or personal experience enter marijuana and myth in Google...next check history of marijuana laws and see how making them illegal sits on par with invading Iraq...just wrong...built on lies.Check LEAP (law enforcement against prohibition) Bible enthusiasts check your brothers website Christians for cannabis...Google alcohol related death then marijuana..this really is exhausting its like teaching the ABC's to amateur human beings..bless them for they know not what they do...hope they catch on soon.

Old 07-26-2008, 06:00 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,566,362 times
In many cities, pot is practically legal already. In Chicago, they won't even bother with you if you have a big of weed when they pull you over. They will likely never legalize marijuana however as time goes on it will have a complete "wink and nod" type of enforcement to the point where the majority of people will find jail time excessive. Judges have to get re-elected, after all.

Old 07-26-2008, 06:02 PM

2,735 posts, read 6,736,435 times
I would be for the legalization of it. To me, it's not a big deal. I think it's more bound to wreck your health, than cause destruction.
I've never been into it personally, tried it back in high school and stuff, but it just makes me retarded and puts me to sleep.
My husband on the other hand, can smoke it, and it just calms his nerves.
Alcohol has way more of an effect on people than pot...imo

Old 07-26-2008, 08:07 PM

2,258 posts, read 3,494,328 times
I did research on American drug policy for one of my final senior classes, and there's pretty substantial evidence that we all (students) uncovered that American drug prohibition was strongly tied to racial and ethnic fears at the time. The Harrison Act, for example, capitalized on many Americans' association of cannabis with Mexican migrant workers and cocaine with Southern blacks. Indeed a prominent doctor testified at a Congressional hearing describing how "most of the attacks upon the white women of the South are the direct result of a cocaine-crazed Negro brain".

This book in particular is a very well-laid out document of the evolution of drug prohibition in the United States. I highly recommend for those wanting to take a look into the history said policy.

http://www.vilekha.com/library/covers/book/book186.jpg (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies