U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-06-2008, 09:39 PM
 
Location: North Carolina
3,215 posts, read 2,872,499 times
Reputation: 2922

Advertisements

I have to agree it should be legalized. I am sure it has been said somewhere on this thread already but there is no more risk using marijuana than there is drinking. More often than not the guy smoking is in far better shape than the drinker by the end of the party.

The only reason it isn't legal is the government can't figure out an easy way to tax it because it is so easy to grow your own. All you need is some soil,water, and sunlight and you can grow all you want. That is another good reason it shouldn't be illegal.

It is a naturally occurring substance with numerous medical uses. Personal story here, when I was 19 I had kidney stones. I had been up for 2 days with the pain and absolutely could not sleep unless I was laying with my side pretty much pressing against a kerosene heater. A friend came over and we smoked a bowl. The pain in my side instantly subsided and I immediately went and took a good 4 hour nap. Then the pain began to come back again. But through all that pain the only thing that provided relief was the marijuana.

So while I am all for continued regulations on growing opium poppies or coca plants, marijuana should be deregulated.

 
Old 08-06-2008, 10:34 PM
 
Location: Forests of Maine
29,752 posts, read 47,576,640 times
Reputation: 17637
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
...
The only reason it isn't legal is the government can't figure out an easy way to tax it because it is so easy to grow your own. All you need is some soil,water, and sunlight and you can grow all you want. That is another good reason it shouldn't be illegal.
That does not agree with history.

It was made illegal due to racial prejudice. It was felt and argued that pot was the preferred drug of Blacks and Mexicans, and illegalizing it was to discourage both of those races.

According to your theory, beer would not be legal either.
 
Old 08-07-2008, 05:30 PM
 
Location: North Carolina
3,215 posts, read 2,872,499 times
Reputation: 2922
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
That does not agree with history.

It was made illegal due to racial prejudice. It was felt and argued that pot was the preferred drug of Blacks and Mexicans, and illegalizing it was to discourage both of those races.

According to your theory, beer would not be legal either.
Um, if I recall correctly there was a little thing called Prohibition, during which time alcohol was illegal. But crime rates exploded and people were generally always pissed off. So they repealed it and let the water flow again. But not before they put into place stiff penalties for bootleggers and fast cars for chasing them. Hence it became far less dangerous to just buy your alcohol from government approved providers than make your own and try to distribute it. Weed on the other hand has never inspired any kind of crime wave other than a run on the local convenience store. Do you really think they are going to admit to you you can't have weed because its hard for us to keep track of the money being spent and made from it. No, they just give you some ridiculous reason like the one you gave and everybody buys it. Hell, I guess they should have made booze illegal since it was known to be the drug of choice for Irish, English, pretty much anyone. And don't you ever forget that alcohol is a drug, one that is far more potent and destructive than marijuana. Not to mention the tendency of alcohol to bring out the violent side in a lot of people. I have never, ever seen a guy/girl high on weed ready to tear someone's head off. They would rather sit outside looking at nature, talking about old times and snacking on some chips. Alcohol is far more dangerous than marijuana, period. So why is alcohol legal? Because a lot of money is made off of the booze trade. And it is easily regulated.
 
Old 08-07-2008, 06:10 PM
 
3,911 posts, read 4,739,618 times
Reputation: 1822
[quote=Reads2MUCH;4772626].[No, they just give you some ridiculous reason like the one you gave and everybody buys it. Hell, I guess they should have made booze illegal since it was known to be the drug of choice for Irish, English, pretty much anyone./quote]

I agree with youre post except for the quote above.

Marijuana WAS banned for racial prejudices, thats fact.
Irish and English people ARE WHITE. I dont get youre point.
 
Old 08-07-2008, 09:33 PM
 
Location: Stillwater, Oklahoma
13,102 posts, read 12,505,083 times
Reputation: 3956
Well, if you want marijuana legalized or at least decriminalized, don't vote for a Republican this Nov. unless you can for a rare exception, such as Ron Paul. Other than than, it's hard to think of a Republican in DC, who would be the least bit interested in legalizing pot.
 
Old 08-07-2008, 09:36 PM
 
Location: um....guess
10,479 posts, read 13,520,089 times
Reputation: 1825
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
Um, if I recall correctly there was a little thing called Prohibition, during which time alcohol was illegal. But crime rates exploded and people were generally always pissed off. So they repealed it and let the water flow again. But not before they put into place stiff penalties for bootleggers and fast cars for chasing them. Hence it became far less dangerous to just buy your alcohol from government approved providers than make your own and try to distribute it. Weed on the other hand has never inspired any kind of crime wave other than a run on the local convenience store. Do you really think they are going to admit to you you can't have weed because its hard for us to keep track of the money being spent and made from it. No, they just give you some ridiculous reason like the one you gave and everybody buys it. Hell, I guess they should have made booze illegal since it was known to be the drug of choice for Irish, English, pretty much anyone. And don't you ever forget that alcohol is a drug, one that is far more potent and destructive than marijuana. Not to mention the tendency of alcohol to bring out the violent side in a lot of people. I have never, ever seen a guy/girl high on weed ready to tear someone's head off. They would rather sit outside looking at nature, talking about old times and snacking on some chips. Alcohol is far more dangerous than marijuana, period. So why is alcohol legal? Because a lot of money is made off of the booze trade. And it is easily regulated.
True. I always shake my head when I hear some politician or other ****wit sounding off on the "dangers" of pot. PLEASE!!!!! They love to blame crime on people high on pot. I ask you, have you EVER had the energy to do anything other than eat, sit on the couch & laugh your ass off thinking of exactly how the skin on a dolphin feels when you're high? I think not.
 
Old 08-07-2008, 10:03 PM
 
Location: London UK & Florida USA
7,922 posts, read 7,626,463 times
Reputation: 2035
It has now been proven that marijuana makes you extremely paranoid. I have personally seen a number of long term users who have become mentally unstable. Having said that, if people want to smoke themselves silly, and i mean silly, let them. Make it legal and put the large amounts of money now being put into the hands of sleazy drug sellers into the Govt coffers for the benefit of everyone. The term "dope" is very apt for marijuana smokers but it's for them to decide.
 
Old 08-07-2008, 10:15 PM
 
Location: Pinal County, Arizona
25,107 posts, read 34,398,980 times
Reputation: 4893
I support "partial" legalization - for those who have cancer and certain visual impairments
 
Old 08-07-2008, 11:12 PM
 
Location: um....guess
10,479 posts, read 13,520,089 times
Reputation: 1825
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
It has now been proven that marijuana makes you extremely paranoid. I have personally seen a number of long term users who have become mentally unstable. Having said that, if people want to smoke themselves silly, and i mean silly, let them. Make it legal and put the large amounts of money now being put into the hands of sleazy drug sellers into the Govt coffers for the benefit of everyone. The term "dope" is very apt for marijuana smokers but it's for them to decide.
Of course it makes you paranoid, they don't need a study for that! Which is exactly why most people who smoke tend not to drive anywhere....constantly checking the mirrors for cops, flicking your eyes towards the speedomotor at every second, glancing left & right looking for pedestrians & other motorists...who needs the pressure???
 
Old 08-07-2008, 11:14 PM
 
Location: London UK & Florida USA
7,922 posts, read 7,626,463 times
Reputation: 2035
LOL True.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top