U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2006, 08:10 PM

311 posts, read 549,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gringo istmeņo View Post

I don`t say legalize it because it will minimize other drug use, I say legalize because it is arguably less harmful than drinking and smoking cigarettes, and a person shouldn`t be considered a criminal just because they like to smoke marijuana. And because many thousands of other people feel the same way.
This is a strange argument....legalize something because it is "less harmful" than something else...would that be similar to not arresting someone for beating their wife because its not as bad as killing her??

And, "a person shouldn't be considered a criminal..." if they are breaking the law?? Does the fact that "many thousands of other people feel the same way" make it legal?

This is the same argument/reasoning that is used to make excuses for ILLEGAL aliens.

Old 11-15-2006, 08:31 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,147,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winnie View Post

Hmmm...

Have you not updated your location or are you not a citizen of this country. Please clarify.

This country has gone to hell in a handbasket ever since drugs came pouring into here in the 70's. One of my highschool "buddies" is a pot head and misses more days of work than you can imagine. Same with MIL. It is all a big excuse. Noone ever gets hurt from you smoking the stuff. I have heard all the lines of BS and that is exactly what the whole pothead mentality is: BS.

I have a very open mind. I know more about pain killers than probably 99% of people on this forum. I also know quite a bit about psychology having taken more than 30 hours of advanced courses in the subject. My mind is wide open to learning and accepting non-traditional modalities of treatment - including pot, but not to listening to someone whine about why the knowledgable NIH has determined it to be a hazardous substance is all nonesense.

I don't need a stronger argument..the lack of others here to refute what I am saying says enough for me.
Nail, Hammer, Board, and Wow Nice shot right on the head!!!!! But if they took away the pot heads who would work for Labor Ready LMAO?

Old 11-16-2006, 11:37 AM

231 posts, read 463,999 times
Quote:

Hmmm...

Have you not updated your location or are you not a citizen of this country. Please clarify.
My location is updated and I am a citizen of USA that lives in Mexico, legally.

Old 11-16-2006, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitney View Post
This is a strange argument....legalize something because it is "less harmful" than something else...would that be similar to not arresting someone for beating their wife because its not as bad as killing her??

And, "a person shouldn't be considered a criminal..." if they are breaking the law?? Does the fact that "many thousands of other people feel the same way" make it legal?

This is the same argument/reasoning that is used to make excuses for ILLEGAL aliens.
Ok, if my argument is strange then isn`t it strange that cigarrettes and booze are LEGAL??? They are both very harmful. Crack cocaine is harmful, so it should all be illegal, right? If smoking crack is like murder, then smoking cigarrettes is like beating your wife (to use your examples)- we really should be consistent here.

"A person shouldn`t be considered a criminal...."That is just my opinion in support of legalizing pot, (that is the topic of the board)- that a person who smokes pot should not be a considered a criminal, therefore, pot should not be illegal. It is an opinion.

No, the fact that many thousands of people who smoke it DOES NOT make it legal (and I never said it did), just like the fact that you wrote this post doesn`t mean it makes any sense.

Old 11-16-2006, 01:48 PM

1,330 posts, read 4,536,392 times
Thank you for clarifying..when you were saying "here" in a few of your other posts I was the seeing your location and I was wondering why the hell you were worried about pot in USA when you live in Mexico.

Prescription drug abuse is supposed to be "victimless" behavior too. But that does not mean that we should allow people to abuse narcotics.

We live in a society where certain social behaviors are regulated by the government. We live here in this country under the understanding that there are socially acceptable behaviors, and those that are NOT acceptable. Abortion, public nudity, murder, theft, spousal abuse, child punishment/abuse, and drug intake are a few.

People have decided that alcohol is a socially acceptable substance that should be legal under certain restrictions. People in fact ARE losing their right to smoke cigarettes in many areas. Airplanes, public stores, hospitals, schools, resturants, workplace. You will see it increasing in the future. Our lung cancer, chronic restrictive lung conditions, and asthma rates are going off the charts. Smoking is a large part why.

Old 11-16-2006, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Thank you for clarifying..when you were saying "here" in a few of your other posts I was the seeing your location and I was wondering why the hell you were worried about pot in USA when you live in Mexico.

Prescription drug abuse is supposed to be "victimless" behavior too. But that does not mean that we should allow people to abuse narcotics.

We live in a society where certain social behaviors are regulated by the government. We live here in this country under the understanding that there are socially acceptable behaviors, and those that are NOT acceptable. Abortion, public nudity, murder, theft, spousal abuse, child punishment/abuse, and drug intake are a few.

People have decided that alcohol is a socially acceptable substance that should be legal under certain restrictions. People in fact ARE losing their right to smoke cigarettes in many areas. Airplanes, public stores, hospitals, schools, resturants, workplace. You will see it increasing in the future. Our lung cancer, chronic restrictive lung conditions, and asthma rates are going off the charts. Smoking is a large part why.
Thank you....our society does regulate certain behaviors. There will always be some who don't agree with the laws/regulations. We are a nation of laws, now if we could just inforce them!
I wondered as you did, why would someone living in Mexico (imagine someone actually crossing the border heading south) would care about pot in the USA? Can you smoke it there? If so, you are in the right place.

Old 11-17-2006, 08:58 AM

269 posts, read 944,650 times
Quote:
We are a nation of laws, now if we could just inforce them!
I wondered as you did, why would someone living in Mexico (imagine someone actually crossing the border heading south) would care about pot in the USA?
Have you been to Mexico? There are some beautiful areas, kind people, decent climate, economical...why would you be so shocked that someone would choose to cross the border heading south?

Old 11-17-2006, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scamutz View Post
Have you been to Mexico? There are some beautiful areas, kind people, decent climate, economical...why would you be so shocked that someone would choose to cross the border heading south?
Yes, I have been to Mexico. Yes there are some beautiful aread, especially in the Yucatan, many kind people, decent climate and it was a very economical trip....key word is trip. No, I wouldn't want to live there.
Why would I be shocked that someone would head south was tongue-in-cheek...hope that clears up your confusion. If there is further confusion, please note that MILLIONS are headed north of the border, not south.

Old 11-17-2006, 11:49 AM

I care because I`m from Californai, and all of my friends and family live there (many smokers) and I am moving back next month- and I won`t be smoking there either, because 1, it is way too expensive, and 2- I don`t want any legal problems. Notice that I am not complaining, but I still think it is wrong to leave it a crime to possess or privately smoke it.

Speaking of Mexico,I thought it was interesting and (really lame) that Mexico`s congress voted to decriminalize drugs- it was a great plan- nobody could be arrested for having a small, "personal" amount of drugs. This way only drug dealers and overboard types would go jail. Mex Congress passed the bill, and it was only for Fox to sign, and guess who stepped in and "persuaded" him not to? Good old uncle Sam, or uncle George in this case. It wasn`t in the US' best interest I guess......too many US kids would go south to party (Isn`t that what they already do?)

I love living in Mexico, but it is a pretty economically-poor existance. If you can live without most conveniences (you have to make adjustments) and de-emphasise the importance of money in your life (I`m about at the end of that rope) and handle hot weather everyday, then you`d probably love living in Mexico too. It is great for a person`s perspective and spirit.

Old 11-17-2006, 07:25 PM

269 posts, read 944,650 times
Quote:
Why would I be shocked that someone would head south was tongue-in-cheek...hope that clears up your confusion.
Tongue-in-cheek doesn't come across very well in text...that's why there are smileys.

Last edited by scamutz; 11-17-2006 at 07:25 PM.. Reason: punctuation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies