Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2007, 12:24 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
don't really care what the narcs say...I smoked pot so I know, you are most certainly not in control...it is a drug, and with having two knee replacements, I know what drugs do, not to mention, with some people, weed does lead them to bigger and more dangerous drugs...experiementation...kids minds are impressionable, and love to explore....

The key word is some, there are also some people who can't drive a car safely, do we consider banning cars?

And as far as experimentation, you're correct, kids will experiment and when they find they've been lied to about all the supposedly deadly affects of marijuana why would anyone expect them to have any faith in other warnings they've been given?

Old 08-05-2007, 12:33 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,747,624 times
I against all Government prohibition of narcotics. The initial Marijuana ban was racially motivated anyway.

Old 08-05-2007, 06:42 PM

4,049 posts, read 2,741,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyHateMachine View Post
I really don't have any stats, but I assume there are more alcohol related deaths than weed. So why is it that alcohol is legal and not marijuana? I simply can't understand it. All marijuana does is gives you the munchies and gets you sleepy. I never heard of someone robbing a bank, raping, or going crazy simply because thay smoked a phat bowl.
Exactly....I don't smoke weed & did try it once about 30yrs ago.
It just wasn't for me but, I believe that if consenting adults choose to smoke, then it should be legalized for adults only.
The entire country would have to start smoking weed & still couldn't catch up to the amount of alcohol related deaths there have already been. I have never seen anyone smoking pot going postal.

Old 08-06-2007, 01:51 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,556,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Ok the Bible says in 1 Corinthians 6:19-20" Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God? and that you are not your own? For you have been bought with a price, therefore glorify God in your body." I don't think it would glorify God to put drugs or alcohol in my body or smoke.

Gen. 1:29 Then God said, "I give you every seed-bearing plant on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it. They will be yours for food. 30 And to all the beasts of the earth and all the birds of the air and all the creatures that move on the ground—everything that has the breath of life in it—I give every green plant for food." And it was so.

You do not have to smoke cannabis.

I do not use the term "marijuana" - it is the progeny of prejudice and misinformation.

Information. It's my anti-drug.

PS-I do smoke pot.

Old 08-06-2007, 02:56 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,266,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KAINTUCK View Post
Evidently you don't take too well to apologies. Reread post 313, seems to me your over analyzing a bit, -no a lot. Anyways,I don't post here to make people angry. I'm surely not a bully in this surreal land or in reality. Wasn't really like I was directing anything at you personally sir, other than the one analogy I made on the Da Vinci thing and even then to illustrate that right and wrong is indeed within the perspective of each of our individual experiences, and analytical persuasion. I think all of that was a direct response to your statement that "it's illegal period" and that entire post. I'm not sure what my level is but I' m o.k. with it. My bottom line is simple on the subject and I will close with it. I don't use it, it would be good if no one used it, reality is people do use it. Those that use it should not be persecuted, imprisoned, fined.
Kaintuck....I must have posted before or while you posted this....

thank you for responding...and for the apology...

sometimes, which I myself still have to learn, things are not always so black and white....I can understand everyone's point and desire for legalizing the drug....I simply fear, it may cause more deaths....and those who are in prision, took the responsiblity when they smoked it, of being caught, after all, it is illegal and when we start thinking we are above the law, then the laws no longer protect...the innocent....

Just my thoughts...

Thanks again
Creme....psssst...I'm a woman....

Old 08-06-2007, 03:45 AM

30,345 posts, read 51,937,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
VIOXX was a miracle drug, I took it for pain, until I finally got knee replacements...

Any drug is a chemical....some are beneficial, some have side effects...depending on your bodies chemistry...

Everyone suing for a quick rich b/c they claim VIOXX gave them heart problems are between 55 - 70 years old, who are candidated for heart problems, who had heart problems already and who had heart problems in their families history. There are going to be problems with any drug, even childhood vaccines within as small percetage of society...but in the case of VIOXX, the manufacturer pulled the drug, because further studies showed, it might have an effect....then, everyone, who had heart problems and was taking VIOXX decided it must have been the drug, and of course the attorneys started advertising like wolves their prey...
I don't care about the people who sued, how old they were, or what conditions they had... doesn't change the fact that I was a 22 year-old HEALTHY woman (aside from the arthritis & allergies), and experienced those side effects. So regardless of anyone else, I personally find cannabis to be more effective, with few/no side effects. And that's in comparison other prescription drugs too, not just Vioxx!

Old 08-06-2007, 11:05 AM

329 posts, read 1,099,517 times
I think we all can agree to disagree on this one.

I personally believe, for me and many others against the legalization of marijuana is simply out of fear (just my opinion here before anyone slams me). It falls down to the personal experiences WE have had or a loved one has had with this drug.. in a negative way.

Doing drugs has a stigma for ME personally, because I try and be a "better" person by NOT adding anything to alter my perception of reality in order to better cope with reality. Have I drank? of course. Have I tried drugs, ever? of course. Have I smoked cigarettes? yes for 23 years before quitting! Do all these things alter perceptions of reality. YES. In my perfect world, we would all just try and be happy WITHOUT ANY mind-altering substance to "have fun".

Like I said... this is just my belief in how I'd like MY life to maybe be better for myself. If I don't like my reality.. I've just made a personal decision to try and change that reality for the better by doing something other than to take/smoke/drink something to make me OKAY. All anything for taken "fun" is just a temporary escape from reality. While this may be okay for all the dope smokers, drinkers, drug takers, criminal thrill seekers, etc., it's just not okay for me OR in my opinion for the people I care about.

Actually... I really don't care what anyone else does in their private life. It all boils down to one fact. I don't want to legalize marijuana because that tells my daughters it is OKAY to smoke dope, and in MY lifetime... that will NEVER EVER be okay with me.

Dope smokers may not care if their babies grow up to be potheads... your perogative I suppose. But I don't want your babies to be potheads any more than I want my babies to be.

Love & peace everyone

Old 08-06-2007, 12:31 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,057,790 times
I do not/have not smoked it. However, I have no heart burn with it being legalized as long as they can put some standards in place. I.e. same strength, not mild in one bag and knock your socks off in another. Should be set up like the tabacco and alcohol industry. Develope methods of testing like blood alcohol level and set up standards on what is impaired and what is ok.

And just like alcohol, license to make and distribute. However you can grow some for your own consumption, not to be distributed and sold.

If they put all that in place, I would have no heartburn checking that box on a ballet.

But, there are some drawbacks. For instance, military. Do you want to walk in and find the guy on the radar, watching for incoming, has just returned from a smoke break? Of go to get on a Greyhound and the driver is standing there taking his last drag? So some tough regs would have to accompany the legalization.

Old 08-06-2007, 12:46 PM

329 posts, read 1,099,517 times
Or your child care provider...
Or your pilot (although I suppose yall will say it's the same as driving)
Or your doctor diagnosing you... your mom.. your kid
Or your minister
Or your nurse who's administering medicine
Or the bomb squad guy
Or your local beat cop... oh lets say your beat cop who WALKS on duty
Or your gun toting security guards (what if they are guarding your bases with chemical weapons stored there?) They don't need to drive to fulfill their duties, is it still okay with yall?)
etc.
etc.
etc.

Old 08-06-2007, 01:00 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,168,876 times
Personally, I think if marijuana was ever legalized, it would be under the same rules and regulations of say, morphine.

I just don't think that the government would allow open use of such a powerful drug. From their perspective, if they legalized it openly and (I'll use Desiree's example) a pilot smokes it and crashes into.. let's say a school. Who's at fault? The judge who made the drug legal will be put to fault.

Lawsuits would be through the roof.

Local Police stations would not make as much money on auction vehicles, vehicles that get confiscated from drug raids and sold at low cost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies