Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 08:44 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,054,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christinerica View Post
"That separation is what legal and business scholars call the "corporate veil," and it's fundamental to the entire operation. Now, thanks to the Hobby Lobby case, it's in question. By letting Hobby Lobby's owners assert their personal religious rights over an entire corporation, the Supreme Court has poked a major hole in the veil. In other words, if a company is not truly separate from its owners, the owners could be made responsible for its debts and other burdens."

Reason #1 SCOTUS Will Regret Hobby Lobby
Perhaps this country is moving towards a theocracy, which is concerning. After all our "public servants" are puppets of the corporations. Say good-bye to The American Dream.

Old 07-10-2014, 08:47 AM

4,625 posts, read 12,287,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerPower00 View Post
Perhaps this country is moving towards a theocracy, which is concerning. After all our "public servants" are puppets of the corporations. Say good-bye to The American Dream.
We can all attend church sponsored schools to learn not to be gay, and sire children until menopause. Oh the joy of it all in religious utopia!

Old 07-10-2014, 08:49 AM

29,444 posts, read 14,623,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christinerica View Post
Even god agrees to banning guns!

Carry a gun, go to hell first!

Georgia Dioceses Ban Weapons In Response To New 'Guns Everywhere' Law
this is just one more thing I don't agree on with the imaginary sky god...

Last edited by scarabchuck; 07-10-2014 at 09:41 AM..

Old 07-10-2014, 08:54 AM

4,625 posts, read 12,287,540 times
The 3 G's of the GOP, guns, gays, and god. Kind of an oxymoron isn't it. next thing you know people will find out GW Bush signed www.Safelink.com into law that created the Obamaphone!

The Obama Phone?

Old 07-10-2014, 09:33 AM

7,103 posts, read 5,979,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
this is just one more thing I don't agree on with the imaginary ski god...
I'm trying to imagine a skiing god... Which god would be the best? Muhammad on downhill slalom... Now that would be a sight to see!

(Sorry! )

Old 07-10-2014, 09:43 AM

29,444 posts, read 14,623,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
I'm trying to imagine a skiing god... Which god would be the best? Muhammad on downhill slalom... Now that would be a sight to see!

(Sorry! )
LOL...had to edit that.

Old 07-10-2014, 09:57 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,286,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage_girl View Post
You know what is funny about how everyone's getting mad at this and the whole "infringing personal rights" thing-- doctors aren't necessarily on with Obamacare. Many doctors have reported since its execution, they have to work even harder to get their patients necessary procedures or medication because Obamacare has added an extra layer of work. Many doctors are unhappy with what they see as the government getting in the way of their patient's care, and it's not because of Hobby Lobby or the SCOTUS. In the grand scheme of things, a company not covering birth control is minor compared to the myriad of problems and complications Obamacare brought with it.
Many of us who support the ACA realize it does have some problems that are going to have to be fixed at some point. However, that's not possible with the current republican-dominated House of Representatives. The only "reform" of the ACA they would consider is repealing it. That just isn't going to happen unless we get a republican House, a republican Senate, and a republican President. So, right now, for better or worse, the ACA as passed by Congress is the only game in town.

I really question that the "government getting in the way of patient care" is one little bit worse than all the "getting in the way" that private insurance companies have doing for decades. At least the ACA requires that certain minimal standards be met.

Frankly, my major concerns about health care at this point are not keeping doctors and other providers happy. I think the income they earn should be sufficient to accomplish that purpose. If it doesn't, we can do other things to deal with any shortage of physicians, PA's, and nurse practitioners that arises. My principal concern is implementing a system that with some reasonable economy takes care of the needs of the vast bulk people in this country. The exception would be those illegally in this country.

If the only two alternatives are full repeal of the ACA and keeping it the way it is. I'll pick keeping it the way it is. The system we had before the ACA was an unconscionable nightmare that cost us 16 percent of our GDP to insure about 80% of our people.

Old 07-10-2014, 12:38 PM

1,311 posts, read 1,692,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerPower00 View Post
A theocracy? What a pile of crap. If people are concerned about the American Dream, they should stop issue-voting and start taking a look at corporate handouts.

Old 07-10-2014, 12:42 PM

1,311 posts, read 1,692,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post

If the only two alternatives are full repeal of the ACA and keeping it the way it is. I'll pick keeping it the way it is. The system we had before the ACA was an unconscionable nightmare that cost us 16 percent of our GDP to insure about 80% of our people.
I'm not actually for a full repeal of the ACA-- I'd like to see a practical reform of the reform! There is a lot of red tape mess which needs addressing. I think the individual mandate was a bad idea, but a lot of the regulations on pharmaceuticals to prove their financial auditing is something that should have happened without Obamacare. We already had "universal healthcare" before Obamacare, since in a sense we've all paid for others' care. The full pros and cons of Obamacare remains to be seen, but I think getting up in arms about one company not paying for contraception is short-sighted.

Old 07-10-2014, 01:56 PM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times
[quote=markg91359;35590941]Many of us who support the ACA realize it does have some problems that are going to have to be fixed at some point. However, that's not possible with the current republican-dominated House of Representatives. The only "reform" of the ACA they would consider is repealing it. That just isn't going to happen unless we get a republican House, a republican Senate, and a republican President. So, right now, for better or worse, the ACA as passed by Congress is the only game in town.

I really question that the "government getting in the way of patient care" is one little bit worse than all the "getting in the way" that private insurance companies have doing for decades. At least the ACA requires that certain minimal standards be met./QUOTE]

For most insurance plans, the only "government getting in the way of patient care" is that certain minimal standards have to be met and subsidies are available to help low-income people pay for health insurance.

The alternative is that those without health insurance go without medical care until it becomes a problem then use ERs and the rest of us pick up the tab through higher health insurance premiums and taxes.

So either way, some of us are paying for health care for others. It's just whether we want to help out early on with preventative stuff, or later in the ER. Hospital-based medical care is considerably more expensive than medical care via clinics. So we might even be better off if everyone had health insurance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies