Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2014, 10:45 AM

10,582 posts, read 9,747,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomBen View Post
You have absolutely zero statistics to back up this absurd claim.
You have no clue who is and is not a Tea Partier and what benefits they use.

Just stop with your baseless nonsense it is embarressing. Provide us with some real statistics and maybe you will gain some respect.
Some liberals' War on the TEA Party constantly complains that they are old, retired, and drawing benefits from govt programs they were forced to participate in (guess what happens when you try to opt out of SS, Medicare etc.).

People like little borrego never mention that old retirees have been paying full freight for themselves, their families, AND a lot of "subsidized" people for 40 years or more. But now that those old people are finally being allowed to get a little of the money back they were forced to pay in for so many decades, the liberals are screaming how unfair the old people are to actually take it.

These retired-people-hating liberals' worst vitriol and bile is reserved for people who have supported themselves AND the liberal screamers for so many years, and who finallly dare to stop.

This has been pointed out to them many times. When this happens, their usual reaction is to vanish from the thread, wait a while, and then start posting the same thing in other threads as though it hasn't already been debunked.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/polit...l#post33160290

Old 07-08-2014, 10:47 AM

29,883 posts, read 18,721,597 times
It's going to come down to how many people get subsidies. My daughter's health care went up astronomically under Obama I don't Care as her income was just above subsidy...so now she'll either have to get another job, work longer hours, or less to receive the subsidy, otherwise, she now can't afford health care.

They'll have to get at least 51% receiving subsidies to make it work politically. Better yet, let the 1% pay for it all.

Old 07-08-2014, 10:58 AM

2,672 posts, read 2,707,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I am curious, did you guys complain this much about your health care insurance going up before ACA?

Though I do agree, ACA should have included a national single payer system. And for those that wanted more than that, they could have bought extra insurance on their own. I would have been in support of that.
There should have been a public option similar to Medicare where people could have bought in from the government. Unfortunately we are now going to have to put up with the antics of the for profits insurance companies like Humana, Cigna, Aetna, and United between now and November. It seems like every couple of weeks they talk about raising rates next year as a threat. There will be pressure on them to keep the rates down. I have seen much saber rattling from the non-profits like Kaiser.

Profits In Health Insurance Under Obamacare - Forbes

Old 07-08-2014, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
They'll have to get at least 51% receiving subsidies to make it work politically. Better yet, let the 1% pay for it all.
That's been the basic idea all along.

Obamacare isn't a health insurance program. We already had that.

Obamacare is simply a wealth-redistribution program. It jacks premiums way up for everybody, then gives "subisidies" (that is, transfers tax money from high earners to low earners) to the people whose votes are needed.

Old 07-08-2014, 11:02 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,692,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I am curious, did you guys complain this much about your health care insurance going up before ACA?

Though I do agree, ACA should have included a national single payer system. And for those that wanted more than that, they could have bought extra insurance on their own. I would have been in support of that.
Our insurance did not jump this much in any given year. This is a huge amount to swallow all at once. So to answer your question, we did complain when it did go up but I regret it now considering this is not a fix. Seems like whenever people start complaining and the gov finally says ok to fix whatever is causing the screaming in the streets...things just get worse.
I think Costa Rica has a private/ single payer type system in place. Not sure of the quality of care.

Old 07-08-2014, 11:05 AM

41,111 posts, read 25,595,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed from California View Post
Why do you people waste your time with members like b-kid? I put him on ignore a long time ago when I realized he lied to everyone here about who he was and what he believed, like he was a conservative instead of a far left plant.
b-kid is dismissive of the rate shock. Why? Because Other People's Money Will Pay For It. What's that tell you about b-kid?

Obamacare nearly doubles costs for some and reward people who don't work or are not married or get divorced. Now who would those people be

Old 07-08-2014, 11:07 AM

Some wealthy early retirees have figured out how to qualify for Obamacare subsidies at taxpayer expense. They do this by living on tax-free income and deferring their receipt of taxable income-an option not available to people who have to work for a living.

Hey you RICH early retirees who are not on Medicare yet and are buying your own medical insurance!! The Affordable Care Act of 2010 (Obamacare) will give you TOTALLY FREE insurance coverage. You must be rich enough to take advantage, so the poor and middle class are probably left out of this wonderful opportunity.

Old 07-08-2014, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Some wealthy early retirees have figured out how to qualify for Obamacare subsidies at taxpayer expense. They do this by living on tax-free income and deferring their receipt of taxable income-an option not available to people who have to work for a living.
You mean, they OBEYED THE LAW???

How dare they?

Last edited by Little-Acorn; 07-08-2014 at 11:22 AM..

Old 07-08-2014, 11:09 AM

Obamacare also contains massive marriage penalties and weird income cliffs for benefits that discourage some people from working. Work disincentives ... exactly what the government wants.

On the Obamacare health insurance exchanges, being married can cost you a lot. Get divorced (or avoid getting married, if you live together), and you save $7,230 per year
massive-marriage-penalties-in-obamacare-health-insurance-exchanges

Old 07-08-2014, 11:11 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,022,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
Our insurance did not jump this much in any given year. This is a huge amount to swallow all at once. So to answer your question, we did complain when it did go up but I regret it now considering this is not a fix. Seems like whenever people start complaining and the gov finally says ok to fix whatever is causing the screaming in the streets...things just get worse.
I think Costa Rica has a private/ single payer type system in place. Not sure of the quality of care.
Well the plus side is that your insurance company can't just drop you when you go to use your insurance like they could in the past.

I think it has more to do with this being a Democrat target for the right wingers. Before this they didn't really complain because they didn't have a political party to blame.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.