Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you think of people who get pregnant before getting married?
I think less of them- sex before marriage is wrong 16 45.71%
It's OK because it is the 21st Century 15 42.86%
It's OK as long as it was a mistake and they were trying to have children before marriage 4 11.43%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 01:30 PM

45,319 posts, read 60,489,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I know several people who have been married and divorced, or lived together and split apart.

About the only thing that seems to be different is the property, not the child support, not anything else like that.

If a woman decides to enter into a cohabitation arrangement without marriage, they need to make sure they are on all property obtained together, so that they can be split. If a man were to buy a house and live with a woman who then had children, if he asks her to leave, she has no right to the property unless she had her named assigned to the deed.

Even the tax write off is outweighed by many others you get as HoH for instance.

Marriage in the 21st century just doesn't make sense. You can get all of the same legal rights and protections through signing contracts, not being married. You're actually a lot better off with individual contracts, instead of marriage.
So, your belief is that US society and all that entails (child poverty rate, education, etc.) is better now than when marriage was standard?

Which is really what this thread is about.

A note about contracts, yeah they would be good but most people don't think of them. The marriage license is a de facto contract.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2014, 01:40 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,375,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
So, your belief is that US society and all that entails (child poverty rate, education, etc.) is better now than when marriage was standard?

Which is really what this thread is about.

A note about contracts, yeah they would be good but most people don't think of them. The marriage license is a de facto contract.
I believe that people have options they didn't once used to.

Women used to stay with abusive husbands. Husbands stayed with fat lazy wives, because thats what society expected when they had children.

Now, there is a better way, and we still love the kids.

Old 07-08-2014, 01:49 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,316,291 times
Quote:

Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now

Back in "my day" if someone got pregnant and
then quickly got married people would talk and judge the person poorly. They
called it a
shot gun wedding.

Yes, I know lots of people are
having babies and not even married and having sex before marriage. But in your
circle of friends and family is getting pregnant before you get married bad, or
just part of life in the 21st Century? Please respond to my poll!
They would judge the WOMAN poorly. The men got a pass and weren't expected to save themselves for marriage. Thank God those days are gone.

Old 07-08-2014, 01:54 PM

15,523 posts, read 10,487,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
Back in "my day" if someone got pregnant and then quickly got married people would talk and judge the person poorly. They called it a shot gun wedding.

Yes, I know lots of people are having babies and not even married and having sex before marriage. But in your circle of friends and family is getting pregnant before you get married bad, or just part of life in the 21st Century? Please respond to my poll!

In my circle of friends and family, the majority just want the child to be loved and be well taken care of. Yeppers, I think it's a 21st century thing.

Old 07-08-2014, 02:04 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,980,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
It's 50% her fault. Yep.

It does take two to tango.

Old 07-08-2014, 02:21 PM

15,625 posts, read 10,378,651 times
Unwed mothers are still not the norm, as less than 40% of annual births are born to unwed American mothers. The higher the education, the lower the rate of births to unwed mothers. 57 percent of women without a high school degree were unmarried when they gave birth, compared to 8.8 percent of women with a bachelor's degree or more.

To assume the institution of marriage is dead is also wrong.

Marriage is the norm for educated people. Among women with a bachelor's degree, 60 percent are married, compared with less than 30 percent among those who never graduated high school.

"New research by the sociologist Leslie McCall reveals that while marriage rates have fallen for most women since 1980, those for the highest earning women have increased, to 64 percent in 2010 from 58 percent in 1980." NYTimes, The Disestablishment of Marriage, By STEPHANIE COONTZ
Published: June 22, 2013

Old 07-08-2014, 02:21 PM

9,885 posts, read 10,965,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
There are major drawbacks to getting married, especially considering that you have a 50/50 shot of ending it in divorce.

Its much easier financially simply to live together as two separate individuals. Marriage is an antiquated institution with no real purpose anymore, except tradition.
I respectfully suggest that you investigate the laws regarding "Common Law Marriage" in your state.
It would behoove anybody who chooses to "just live together" to know those laws.
Since I don't know what the laws are in your state, I won't say more than that.

Old 07-08-2014, 02:22 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,375,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
I respectfully suggest that you investigate the laws regarding "Common Law Marriage" in your state.
It would behoove anybody who chooses to "just live together" to know those laws.
Since I don't know what the laws are in your state, I won't say more than that.
No common law marriage in the state of Tennessee, in fact, most states have abolished the practice

Old 07-08-2014, 02:46 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,263,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
Back in "my day" if someone got pregnant and then quickly got married people would talk and judge the person poorly. They called it a shot gun wedding.

Yes, I know lots of people are having babies and not even married and having sex before marriage. But in your circle of friends and family is getting pregnant before you get married bad, or just part of life in the 21st Century? Please respond to my poll!
I'm very liberal and take a libertarian approach to social issues, but I do not approve of people having children outside of marriage. I don't say that to friends who have had children outside of marriage and I don't treat them badly, and I wouldn't support punishing them for it...but I think it's less than ideal.

Old 07-08-2014, 04:50 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,733,041 times
I didn't vote because your poll lacks the choice I would make -

Their decision, none of my business.

Most people get married for a combination of reasons, they don't need me to approve of those reasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies