Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 06:55 AM

19 posts, read 17,595 times

Advertisements

I'm very troubled by the phrase, "acting black." I find that people who use the term, often have a narrowly defined one-dimensional perception of blacks. In their limited mind, black people do not ski, hike, go camping, listen to various types of music, vacation, speak grammatically correct English, or partake in any other activities outside of what they narrowly define as "black actions and behaviors..."

I really like Aisha Tyler, because she always discusses this topic quite effectively.

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kacuTTfRgI0]Authors@Google: Aisha Tyler - YouTube[/url]

I hope that more people will challenge the notion that blacks can only occupy a certain space. I'm tired of being defined by my skin color.

Old 07-07-2014, 07:44 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,899,930 times
"Acting Black" to hear many Black people say it is acting like poor white trash: hating education, not talking proper, having a bunch of kids by different women, getting drunk and high, starting trouble, basically "playing the fool". Kinda like us "Irish" of 150 years ago.

Old 07-07-2014, 07:44 AM

Crickets...

Old 07-07-2014, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
"Acting Black" to hear many Black people say it is acting like poor white trash: hating education, not talking proper, having a bunch of kids by different women, getting drunk and high, starting trouble, basically "playing the fool".
Yes, but many whites have also told me, -you're not really black, -because you don't "act black."

Old 07-07-2014, 07:47 AM

14,888 posts, read 10,032,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicole_inCA View Post
Crickets...
If this is what defines you then you figure it out, some of us have jobs and are too busy to worry about the emotional shortcomings of others.

Old 07-07-2014, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
If this is what defines you then you figure it out, some of us have jobs and are too busy to worry about the emotional shortcomings of others.
I'm off today, but I have a very good professional job. Although this phenomenon is troubling, I do not allow it to define me.

Old 07-07-2014, 08:00 AM

14,888 posts, read 10,032,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicole_inCA View Post
I'm off today, but I have a very good professional job. Although this phenomenon is troubling, I do not allow it to define me.
Oh I'm sure you do, everyone does.

Troubling to whom?

Old 07-07-2014, 08:07 AM

3,216 posts, read 2,230,637 times
I must admit, the only time I personally heard someone say something similar to this, I was kind of shocked. As in "What?!?!" The person in question was a little dim and the sad thing was he was serious. I have heard this discussed in articles however when it pertains to some black students being told they are "acting white" in regard to academic achievement. I would like to think when people make any kind of comments like this that hopefully it's a generational thing and it will stop soon. Like Vice President Biden's remark about President Obama during the first campaign. It makes you cringe inside to hear ignorant remarks like that.

Old 07-07-2014, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
Oh I'm sure you do, everyone does.

Troubling to whom?
It's troubling to me, because I don't like being viewed through a one dimensional lens. At the end of the day, I simply live my life, but it can get really annoying when people become uncomfortable because I don't fit their narrow definition of a black person.

Old 07-07-2014, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toryturner View Post
I must admit, the only time I personally heard someone say something similar to this, I was kind of shocked. As in "What?!?!" The person in question was a little dim and the sad thing was he was serious. I have heard this discussed in articles however when it pertains to some black students being told they are "acting white" in regard to academic achievement. I would like to think when people make any kind of comments like this that hopefully it's a generational thing and it will stop soon. Like Vice President Biden's remark about President Obama during the first campaign. It makes you cringe inside to hear ignorant remarks like that.
I've heard it many times, from all different racial groups.

Sadly, I think this is the real reason why there's so much hostility between blacks and whites. Blacks are largely viewed through one lens, while whites are viewed as multi-dimensional.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies