Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2014, 12:59 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,605,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
That's a bald faced lie. The movement is happening because people want to protect themselves. Adults with backbones don't rely on government to help as a first defense, cowards do.

According to the radical antigun advocates if there were no guns then no one would get shot.
Instead of making more signs and advertizing gun free zones, put up truthful signs. Killing Zone, citizens beware.

It's only a valid point to people who can't take the thought process to the next level. If you carry then you are less likely to become a victim. Strange how hard that is for some people to figure out.

I think that really is the gist of it.
Maybe you should read a thread before you post in it, but maybe that's just me.

Old 07-11-2014, 12:59 PM

77,702 posts, read 59,834,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Personally I'm more concerned why people are snapping and going on killing spree's. This phenomenon has been going on forever sporadically but why has it become common place ? I'm willing to bet that if we can figure out what is causing people to freak out and take lives and solve that there might not be anymore mass shootings (inner city hood violence is a completely different thing) but if we eliminated firearms they would still go on or be done in a different way.
It's more more common place because:

a) The population of the US is now 330million.

b) Every salacious crime gets mass news coverage in an internet age coast to coast 24-7.

Old 07-11-2014, 01:00 PM

37,942 posts, read 17,722,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Personally I'm more concerned why people are snapping and going on killing spree's. This phenomenon has been going on forever sporadically but why has it become common place ? I'm willing to bet that if we can figure out what is causing people to freak out and take lives and solve that there might not be anymore mass shootings (inner city hood violence is a completely different thing) but if we eliminated firearms they would still go on or be done in a different way.
The media has brought it to our attention. That's what makes the 6 o'clock news.
Gun violence has been going down for a long time.

Compared with 1993, the peak of U.S. gun homicides, the firearm homicide rate was 49% lower in 2010, and there were fewer deaths, even though the nation’s population grew.

Gun Homicide Rate Down 49% Since 1993 Peak; Public Unaware | Pew Research Center

Old 07-11-2014, 01:02 PM

Quote:
The media has brought it to our attention. That's what makes the 6 o'clock news.
Gun violence has been going down for a long time.

Compared with 1993, the peak of U.S. gun homicides, the firearm homicide rate was 49% lower in 2010, and there were fewer deaths, even though the nation’s population grew.

Gun Homicide Rate Down 49% Since 1993 Peak; Public Unaware | Pew Research Center
That a very valid point and worth repeating. Gun violence has gone down dramatically in the last 20 years and most of the gun violence in this country is gang/drug related.

Old 07-11-2014, 01:03 PM

3,537 posts, read 2,722,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by borregokid View Post
This was in Springs, Texas where the good guy Ron Haskell decided to be the bad guy with a gun. He shot and killed six relatives before being chased down and surrendering to the police. I guess Open Carry Texas has a point...the more guns the less murder.

Ronald Lee Haskell Charged In Texas Shooting That Left 6 Dead, Including 4 Children
Just once if you would provide adequate data to back up your assertions it would be pleasent.

Last edited by CaseyB; 07-11-2014 at 01:09 PM.. Reason: name calling

Old 07-11-2014, 01:04 PM

37,942 posts, read 17,722,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Maybe you should read a thread before you post in it, but maybe that's just me.
Unless I missed the sarcasm then maybe you should read your own post before you comment, but maybe that's just me.

Every mass killing with a gun brings the issue front and center. Especially when there is an active movement in Texas, no less, to go around brandishing firearms in every public and commercial space for the sole reason to get people used to having guns in their faces everywh
ere they go.

brandishing firearms?? Really? I'd like to see all those people holding their firearms in a threatening manner. you can't make blanket statements and not expect to get called on it.

btw it's only rifles that we can open carry with in Texas

Old 07-11-2014, 01:04 PM

8,061 posts, read 4,851,560 times
Quote:
This was in Springs, Texas where the good guy Ron Haskell decided to be the bad guy with a gun. He shot and killed six relatives before being chased down and surrendering to the police. I guess Open Carry Texas has a point...the more guns the less murder.

Ronald Lee Haskell Charged In Texas Shooting That Left 6 Dead, Including 4 Children
There is murder every day in America. I do not know what the point is ?

What if a law bidding Gun owner shot old Ron the bad guy before the police got the man!

These stories are pointless that the Anti Gun People harp on.

Old 07-11-2014, 01:06 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,622,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
Obama attempted gun control and lost badly so now you're butthurt and every time there's a gun incident we can count on one of theses "I told ya so" threads by a lib. We get that. So what else have you got? That's rhetorical BTW......
please dont encourage him, even in jest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
How does a guy kill six people and live? He is supposed to be shot on site
dont forget that he didnt use one of those scary black "assault rifles" and kill a bunch of rich white kids at a school, or anything like that. he just killed a few of his family members with a handgun. so why it is even considered newsworthy by the powers that be evades me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
This guy obviously had a problem, I'm willing to bet some of his friends or co-workers had concerns about him. The solution would have been to report him and separate him from his gun, not everyone should own a gun.
that would be a good solution, another would have been to confiscate his guns in the first place since he was a convicted felon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
But really, you're right that a gun control law wouldn't have stopped this. The country has a culture problem (that gun nuts fully embrace) that says the way to solve problems is to start shooting. Events like this aren't going to end until people change that.
true a gun control law would not have stopped this crime, but i am what you would consider a gun nut and i dont go around shooting people to solve problems. which means your premise is completely wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Apparently this murderer was not a good enough guy that his wife would stay with him. Look like he was so angry over her impertinence that he interrogated and killed these people when they could not tell this criminal bad guy where she as.

He should be charged with mass murder, tried and punished as appropriate.
agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
For the most part, that is absolutely true.

I've been an avid collector of fine firearms for almost 40 years. I've carried concealed for almost 20. I'm a staunch believer in the 2nd amendment, as written.
I also believe in the SCOTUS decision in Heller Vs. DC. The Second Amendment is subject to reasonable restrictions.
I do not believe in unlimited gun ownership for all citizens with no restrictions or regulation by the state or federal government.
I also do not believe in arbitrarily banning certain types of guns, and that the anti gun crowd goes too far in what they consider "reasonable restrictions", usually caused by ignorance of the subject on their part.

Because of my two sided beliefs, I'm considered an enemy by both gun advocates and anti gun advocates on this board.
It appears that there is no possibility of any bipartisan consensus on this issue, any time soon and those of us who believe as I do are shut out of the dialogue.
we do seem to think along some of the same lines on this issue. i too have no problem with reasonable restrictions, like background checks for instance. and if the government decided that the only way you could buy a gun is through a proper licensed gun dealer, and that even private party sales had to have form 4473 filled out at a gun dealer, and a background check performed, that would also be fine by me.

where i draw the line however with some "reasonable" things the gun grabbers want is having to pass a psych test in order to buy a firearm, and yes it has been proposed a few times. all it would take is an antigun psychologist to decide that he wont pass ANYONE to really screw things up for everyone.

my other problem is that the gun grabbers dont stop at reasonable. they got the brady bill passed, but it wasnt good enough, so they got an "assault weapons" ban passed, but the reality of that was it was ineffective even as written, and it was very unpopular across the country, so it was allowed to fade into the sunset. now they want another similar bill, that is even more restrictive than the last one, but everyone remembers what happened last time.

Old 07-11-2014, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Unless I missed the sarcasm then maybe you should read your own post before you comment, but maybe that's just me.

Here let me help

Every mass killing with a gun brings the issue front and center. Especially when there is an active movement in Texas, no less, to go around brandishing firearms in every public and commercial space for the sole reason to get people used to having guns in their faces everywh
ere they go.

brandishing firearms?? Really? I'd like to see all those people holding their firearms in a threatening manner. you can't make blanket statements and not expect to get called on it.
Parse away..............
One man's slung AR15 is brandishing to a mother and three kids at a family restaurant.

I know exactly what the legal definition of brandishing is and so do you. But 99% of the people in those family restaurants eating dinner with their kids, don't. The guy with the desert eagle or the guy with the SKS with the attached Bayo is brandishing in their eyes and it gives us responsible gun owners a black eye every time it happens.

Old 07-11-2014, 01:12 PM

23,300 posts, read 16,984,207 times
Quote:

So why the headline mentioning firearms?
Remeber John List who also murdered his family?
Some guy crashed his plane into his inlaws house.
Another guy crashed his plane into the local IRS office.
Mom drives the car into a lake with the kids strapped in
disgruntled dad tosses the infant still in the car seat into a creek
disgrunteld dad tosses his infant off the victory bridge in a diveroce gone bad
Good dad gets drunk and become the bad dad who killed his family...good case to ban alcohol and drugs, including all prescription drugs.

100k patients die each year from medical errors. What object do you want to ban to prevent that carnage.

Insane is insane. Happens all the time. Availablitity of objects to commit the crimes are as abundant as flimsy excuses to ban firearms.

Is your premise that just because a person is declared competent to own a firearm it is no protection if he goes insane?

Does happen, but promoting this to be more common than it is to make a point about banning all private gun ownership will not stop another insane person from killing.

Insane is insane.

The real concern that you might address are the clusters of gang and drug related killings that create the exponentially larger number of firearm deaths.

This headline should read insane man murders family; rekindles the mental health concerns in America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies