Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you ok with the POTUS bypassing Congress on legislation?
liberal, I'm ok with a Prez bypassing Congress 6 17.14%
liberal, I'm not okay with a Prez bypassing Congress 5 14.29%
Conservative, I'm okay with a Prez bypassing Congress 1 2.86%
Conservative, I'm not okay with a Prez bypassing Congress. 23 65.71%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 10:29 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,444,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
This week in Washington the first marijuana stores opened up, even though it remains illegal under federal law. The Obama administration cut a deal with Washington's governor to turn a blind eye (in spite of still having a drug czar who is adamantly anti-legalization).

Ignore the question of whether marijuana should or should not be legal. Is it ok for the president to bypass the US Congress on laws that have been previously enacted? If the president wants to be change a law, shouldn't he go to Congress, make his case, and get the change enacted and signed?

Suppose that during the period when the "assault weapon" ban was in effect, George W. Bush had cut a deal with WA, which happens to be a very pro-gun-rights state, to allow the manufacture of magazines holding over 10 rounds. That was illegal under the federal "assault weapon" ban. If Obama can ignore federal law on pot, why not Bush on magazines?

Let me anticipate the objection that is sure to be made by the loony left. They will say that no one ever died from pot, so it's an apples/oranges comparison. First of all, deadliness is neither here nor there when it comes to rule of law. If a thing is illegal, it's illegal, whether or not you can die from it. Secondly, the 10 round limit was always dumb since a mag change can be done in under a second with a little practice.
George W. bypassed congress plenty. He effectively crippled stem cell research with the stroke of a pen. He also unilaterally bypassed the Geneva Convention without Congress, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2014, 10:34 PM

372 posts, read 449,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
He and the Democratic Senate refuse to work on the GOP House's agenda. Last time I checked, they were elected too.

Your view is that you feel your side - unlike the other side - has the right to get its way no matter how anyone else feels.

As far as a plurality believing he's middle of the road, I'm not sure where you're getting that from. A plurality certainly don't approve of the job he's doing; a solid majority disapprove. Moreover, the fact that he hasn't always governed as a hardcore liberal doesn't mean he doesn't want to - and there's plenty of evidence he's philosophically quite liberal. I'd add that I personally see him as primarily liberal, but I also see some of the things he's done as "conservative" - and those represent pretty much the worst of conservatism.
Nobody is going to get everything they want. Obama was the first one calling for a compromise. He almost had some compromises a couple of times but the GOP slapped it down and Boehner caved to his party of crazies. Then the word compromise became some kind of terrible thing. Obama's numbers are lower. The GOP and congress' are even lower. The reality is neither side is trying to do anything in Congress. However the Senate has done more than the house led GOP. Be fair and call out both sides.

Old 07-10-2014, 10:35 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,352,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
George W. bypassed congress plenty. He effectively crippled stem cell research with the stroke of a pen. He also unilaterally bypassed the Geneva Convention without Congress, too.
Let us suppose for the sake of argument that you are 100% correct. Was it wrong for W Bush to do this but not for Obama? Or wrong for both? Or wrong for neither?

Old 07-10-2014, 10:48 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 17 days ago)

29,543 posts, read 16,528,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grsz11 View Post
Short, selective memories seem to be a problem around here...
2006 would be 8 years ago, so i wouldnt call that "short"

There is a lot of hypocrisy.

Old 07-10-2014, 10:53 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,319,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
2006 would be 8 years ago, so i wouldnt call that "short"

There is a lot of hypocrisy.
Well, it's either that such folks have a "short" memory or they're just plain too ignorant to know of it to begin with.
Take your pick.

Ken

Old 07-10-2014, 10:58 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,319,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Let us suppose for the sake of argument that you are 100% correct. Was it wrong for W Bush to do this but not for Obama? Or wrong for both? Or wrong for neither?
There's nothing wrong with signing statements in of themselves. They've been used by Presidents to get around the desires of Congress since James Monroe. I may agree or disagree with a PARTICULAR signing statement, but in general I'm neutral on the subject. Obama has actually issued the LEAST signing statements per year in office of any President in the last 100 years or so.

Ken

Old 07-10-2014, 11:01 PM

1,138 posts, read 1,041,477 times
Most would probably be screaming their heads off like hypocrites.

Old 07-10-2014, 11:02 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 17 days ago)

29,543 posts, read 16,528,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Well, it's either that such folks have a "short" memory or they're just plain too ignorant to know of it to begin with.
Take your pick.

Ken
I would go with ignorant because most people dont follow politics until they dislike someone.

If President Obama did nothing and stayed out of the news for 3 weeks, he would have a 60% approval rating.

Old 07-10-2014, 11:11 PM

Ed from California, you know damn well that you are not a lib.

Old 07-10-2014, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Obama isn't exactly blazing a new trail here. Does this quote mean anything to you? "John Marshall has made his decision, now let him enforce it!"
Quoth Andrew Jackson, founder of the Democratic party.

plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies