Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2014, 07:57 AM

7,583 posts, read 6,052,104 times

Advertisements

First, this was all over the internet this morning.

AOL.com Article - Obama cuts in line, buys lunch for customers

Now the Headline Could read OBAMA CUTS IN LINE AT BUSY RESTAURANT

OR perhaps

OBAMA BUYS LUNCH FOR 20 People

Funny thing is, look at the comments rolling in. The Conservatives/Obama Haters are quick to point out that he overstepped his presidential privileges by inserting himself in the front of the line.

THe Liberals/Obama Lovers are saying "What a nice guy, he made up for his cutting in line"

But WAIT There's More The Press love to blow things like this out of proportion

The man stopped to get some food on his way to the airport. He was in a hurry. When he got inside, he found the place crowded, had no time to wait so asked if he could move up. Being surrounded by Secret Service and being the president, he was allowed to. Feeling bad about cutting in line, he bought and paid for everyone else's food. SO Patrons had to wait a little longer, but they got a free lunch, and got to get pics of the president.

Funny how both sides of the fence will see this act as either totally selfish or totally selfless, but few in between which is how it all balanced out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2014, 08:03 AM

3,537 posts, read 2,730,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
First, this was all over the internet this morning.

AOL.com Article - Obama cuts in line, buys lunch for customers

Now the Headline Could read OBAMA CUTS IN LINE AT BUSY RESTAURANT

OR perhaps

OBAMA BUYS LUNCH FOR 20 People

Funny thing is, look at the comments rolling in. The Conservatives/Obama Haters are quick to point out that he overstepped his presidential privileges by inserting himself in the front of the line.

THe Liberals/Obama Lovers are saying "What a nice guy, he made up for his cutting in line"

But WAIT There's More The Press love to blow things like this out of proportion

The man stopped to get some food on his way to the airport. He was in a hurry. When he got inside, he found the place crowded, had no time to wait so asked if he could move up. Being surrounded by Secret Service and being the president, he was allowed to. Feeling bad about cutting in line, he bought and paid for everyone else's food. SO Patrons had to wait a little longer, but they got a free lunch, and got to get pics of the president.

Funny how both sides of the fence will see this act as either totally selfish or totally selfless, but few in between which is how it all balanced out.
Emotional reactions are the norm in a me first , I need everything in one second society.

Old 07-11-2014, 08:06 AM

13,715 posts, read 31,096,671 times
One thing about this story the national press doesn't get: Franklins is usually recognized as the very best BBQ in Texas and some say the US. Set aside for a moment the BBQ wars of Texas vs. Memphis vs. St. Louis. Franklins is an amazing story in Austin - a place that started with a food trailer. People start lining up for Franklins as early as 6 a.m. for their 11 a.m. opening. They run out of beef brisket by 1 p.m.. The line itself has become part of the experience of going to Franklins. This isn't fake trendy urban food like cronuts. This is masterfully prepared meat cooked for about 15 hours. Franklins has been featured on Anthony Bourdain's show:

No Reservations | Austin's Franklin Barbecue

So cutting in line is a huge deal.

If anyone but the President did it - I think there would be a riot. I do not support Obama and really want another president. But I would not be upset if he cut in front of me in line. I bet Aaron Franklin himself was not unhappy. He doesn't need any more fame or customers - it is just a matter of pride to serve BBQ to the president. I think Obama handled it well.

Old 07-11-2014, 08:12 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,608,624 times
Thought that Onumbnuts didn't like "Photo OPs"

Old 07-11-2014, 08:14 AM

24,834 posts, read 37,279,135 times
Did just did what candidates do....

He was in Texas to raise money.

Old 07-11-2014, 08:46 AM
Status: "On the road with Kid Charlamagne" (set 17 days ago)

8,018 posts, read 5,827,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
One thing about this story the national press doesn't get: Franklins is usually recognized as the very best BBQ in Texas and some say the US. Set aside for a moment the BBQ wars of Texas vs. Memphis vs. St. Louis. Franklins is an amazing story in Austin - a place that started with a food trailer. People start lining up for Franklins as early as 6 a.m. for their 11 a.m. opening. They run out of beef brisket by 1 p.m.. The line itself has become part of the experience of going to Franklins. This isn't fake trendy urban food like cronuts. This is masterfully prepared meat cooked for about 15 hours. Franklins has been featured on Anthony Bourdain's show:

If anyone but the President did it - I think there would be a riot. I do not support Obama and really want another president. But I would not be upset if he cut in front of me in line. I bet Aaron Franklin himself was not unhappy. He doesn't need any more fame or customers - it is just a matter of pride to serve BBQ to the president. I think Obama handled it well.

I agree with you 100%.

One, Franklin's IS a huge deal -- often mentioned as the best BBQ in the nation. They have quite a following, and quite a story.

But honestly, "cutting" in line is pretty much a standard presidential thing. For obvious reasons, if I owned Franklins, I wouldn't want the complications that come with the president "waiting in line". Let him get his food and hit the road.

The fact that Obama paid for the food of others was fine. I am DEFINITELY not a pro-Obama guy, but I don't think this situation was a bad thing. If anything, props to him for throwing down (provided it was HIS credit card and not yours and mine).

Old 07-11-2014, 08:57 AM

7,583 posts, read 6,052,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post

Well OK Next time I am in Austin, whenever that may be, I will head out first thing in the morning to Franklin's. Thanks for the update.

Having had the president eat there will give Mr Franklin more business, and I am sure he will appreciate that. Although it sounds like he has a pretty good following already.

As far as I know, the president has a personal expense card that is carried by his assistant. What he charges comes out of his salary, just as his personal meals at the white house do. When the president is having a state sponsored function, as in the dignitaries from another nation eating a formal dinner, then the taxpayers for the bill. However, when the president is eating with his family or having personal friends over for a non formal unofficial meal, then he pays for that food out of his own pocket.
Who Pays for the Obama Family's Food? | Mental Floss

The Prez probably got out cheap compared to what he would have paid if he treated those people to lunch at the White House.

I always wondered if Bill Clinton waited in line for his morning egg Mcmuffin at McDonalds after his morning jog.....

Old 07-11-2014, 09:06 AM

41,815 posts, read 50,926,180 times
This is the part I find funny. I surprised he has cash in his pocket let alone a cc/bank card. :

Quote:
When it was time to pay, the president took out some cash. After noticing the order cost more than $300, Obama took out his credit card and asked his trip director Marvin Nicholson if the card would work
Could you imagine.... "uhhh Mr President, your card was declined."

Old 07-11-2014, 09:52 AM

13,715 posts, read 31,096,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntwrkguy1 View Post
I agree with you 100%.

One, Franklin's IS a huge deal -- often mentioned as the best BBQ in the nation. They have quite a following, and quite a story.

But honestly, "cutting" in line is pretty much a standard presidential thing. For obvious reasons, if I owned Franklins, I wouldn't want the complications that come with the president "waiting in line". Let him get his food and hit the road.

The fact that Obama paid for the food of others was fine. I am DEFINITELY not a pro-Obama guy, but I don't think this situation was a bad thing. If anything, props to him for throwing down (provided it was HIS credit card and not yours and mine).
Exactly. I really want Obama out of office. But I would shake his hand, and if I had a restaurant, would welcome him in, as Franklin's did. I still respect the President for who he his.

Franklin's doesn't need a single additional customer. He sells out of food every single day. He can't make any more. So he won't make any more money because Obama ate there.

Old 07-11-2014, 10:03 AM

12,638 posts, read 8,933,847 times
Franklin's doesn't need whatever business Obama is going to generate - they appear to be doing just fine on their own.

If I were in line and that rat-eared failure cut in front of me, I'd be pissed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies