Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2014, 05:42 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,525,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
That's saying 63% of small business owners voted for a higher overhead! I call BS on this survey!!!

It's right in there with "illegals only take the jobs Americans don't want to do" as youth unemployment hovers at 25%, 20-24 is at 14%. I'm fairly certain those kids would love a job that is otherwise being done by his illegal counterpart.

Progressives are at war with the middle class. If business owners actually voted positively to pay more per employee, then shared misery is right around the corner. No wonder 2 of 3 businesses fail with a year.
Nonsense. 63% of businesses do not pay minimum wage. The figure is in the low teens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2014, 05:46 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,364,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
What a bunch of complete bologna!!!!

The bolded statement above would only be correct IF small business owners kept their current prices even AFTER the increase. However, businesses are going to have to make up for that cost difference. How do you think they are going to do that? By raising the prices of goods and services, among other things that will only hurt the economy.

I swear, America is a country full of IDIOTS!

Do you think owners and CEO's are going to just take a cut in their own pay to make up for the added cost to payroll? Yeah, I very much doubt that, so the extra money they'll have to pay is going to come from somewhere.... out of the consumers pocket, so that means LESS money to spend.

I just can't believe we have slipped this far down the intelligence scale as a country that people can't figure this incredibly elementary concept out on their own.
Idiots, nice way to describe your fellow citizens! Never crossed your mind that they are referring to increased spending by the people receiving the wage? I know this may be a bit complex for you, but what they are refering too is that people making minimum wage tend to spend additional income. You know, things like going to a dentist, or maybe car maintenance, things they could not do before. Maybe eat out on rare occasion.

And that whole "it will inflate away" is BS. Go look at historical examples of the massive inflation after minimum wage increases. Turns out there aren't any.

Old 07-11-2014, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Idiots, nice way to describe your fellow citizens! Never crossed your mind that they are referring to increased spending by the people receiving the wage? I know this may be a bit complex for you, but what they are refering too is that people making minimum wage tend to spend additional income. You know, things like going to a dentist, or maybe car maintenance, things they could not do before. Maybe eat out on rare occasion.

And that whole "it will inflate away" is BS. Go look at historical examples of the massive inflation after minimum wage increases. Turns out there aren't any.
Yep, this is something a little girl with a lemonade stand would comprehend, but apparently it's beyond the grasp of right-wingers. They obviously have no clue why it's called supply side economics.

Last edited by nvxplorer; 07-11-2014 at 06:36 PM..

Old 07-11-2014, 07:12 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
I have to agree, because I just cannot believe that anyone who was smart enough to get their own business started would be so stupid as to support this knowing full well it's going to mean added costs to products and services, along with employee cutbacks and layoffs, meaning operating at the same capacity with even less staff.

It's just unfathomable.
Again, 70% of small business owners are individuals working out of their home, as independent contractors.

They do not have employees and most probably never aspire to employ others.

I seriously doubt the true and few innovators ever gave a moments thought to minimum wage and labor laws.

Old 07-11-2014, 07:55 PM

2,490 posts, read 2,544,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
The economy? Which economy? The Indian Economy, Romanian Economy, Algerian Economy?

If they're that stupid, then they get what they deserve.

Although it requires knowledge of 6th Grade Math, see if you can answer this poser....

$5 Profit * 6,000 Million other people = $30 Billion
$5 Profit * 400 Million Americans, Canadians and Australians = $2 Billion

Which amount of profit is greater: $30 Billion or $2 Billion

Try not to study those complex equations too long....you'll get the wrong answer.

Since so many didn't make it through the 6th Grade, here's some 4th Grade Math

Explain to us why Rajiv in India would pay $32 for something Made in America when he can buy the same thing „Fabricat in Romania" for $7?

Think you can do that?

Apparently, only Nobel Price Mathematics winner can answer those questions, because Liberals certainly cannot.

Also, as a reminder small businesses are...

99.7 percent of U.S. employer firms,
64 percent of net new private-sector jobs,
49.2 percent of private-sector employment,
42.9 percent of private-sector payroll,
46 percent of private-sector output,

43 percent of high-tech employment,
98 percent of firms exporting goods, and
33 percent of exporting value.

Source: SBA Office of Advocacy Frequently Asked Questions, September 2012

Office of Advocacy - Frequently Asked Questions - Frequently Asked Questions about Small Business | SBA.gov

Which now begs the question, who what kind of small biz owners were surveyed?

It makes a difference, you know. A retail or service provider is not gong to have the same view as a manufacture or a retailer/wholesaler or service provider who exports.

Most propaganda artists steer minimum wage to fast-food, but the reality is much of your lower level manufacturing, in particular the clean/light manufacturing is minimum wage.

An increase in minimum wage causes the manufacture to raise the prices of the parts or supplies he sells to the other manufacturer who exports the finished product....and he must now raise the price of his exports.....and that makes it very difficult to compete globally.

The exporter goes out of business and the low level manufacturer? He closes his doors, too.

See how that works?

Nothing exists in a vacuum....

Mircea
Congratulations, you just explained why we need to get off a global market in the sense that if you want to get your labor service from outside these borders, you pay about four times the taxes. Sounds like a good way to even the field.

Old 07-11-2014, 08:00 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,786,069 times
Originally Posted by steven_h
That's saying 63% of small business owners voted for a higher overhead! I call BS on this survey!!!

It's right in there with "illegals only take the jobs Americans don't want to do" as youth unemployment hovers at 25%, 20-24 is at 14%. I'm fairly certain those kids would love a job that is otherwise being done by his illegal counterpart.

Progressives are at war with the middle class. If business owners actually voted positively to pay more per employee, then shared misery is right around the corner. No wonder 2 of 3 businesses fail with a year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
Nonsense. 63% of businesses do not pay minimum wage. The figure is in the low teens.
Did I say that? I only repeated what the poll stated, so naturally I meant the businesses that participated in the poll. Did that really fly over your head?

"Sixty-one percent of small-business owners with employees say they support increasing the baseline wage in three stages"

Sorry, I was off 2%

Look up and read Mircea's well researched post. Get a clue would ya?

Old 07-11-2014, 08:09 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,559,990 times
Quote:
Yep, this is something a little girl with a lemonade stand would comprehend, but apparently it's beyond the grasp of right-wingers. They obviously have no clue why it's called supply side economics.
But somehow you can't comprehend. Why is that?

In a close the economy, increase of the minimum wage will definitely increase price of goods. It is a mathematic certainty.

We are not in a closed economy meaning businesses can offset the increase in their labor cost by offshoring. Yes that in your liberal term is shipping American jobs to the Chinese. Another way is to improve efficiency by employing more automation. However either way the minimum wage workers are getting screwed as they will losing their jobs.

Old 07-11-2014, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
Originally Posted by steven_h

Did I say that? I only repeated what the poll stated, so naturally I meant the businesses that participated in the poll. Did that really fly over your head?

"Sixty-one percent of small-business owners with employees say they support increasing the baseline wage in three stages"

Sorry, I was off 2%

Look up and read Mircea's well researched post. Get a clue would ya?
Hilarious. Get out of denial, would ya. You wrote that 63% of businesses voted for an increase in overhead. That assumes those businesses pay minimum wage, which is not in evidence, and since only about 13% or so earn minimum wage, it's highly unlikely that all those surveyed pay minimum wage. Capiche, oh clueful one?

Old 07-11-2014, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
But somehow you can't comprehend. Why is that?

In a close the economy, increase of the minimum wage will definitely increase price of goods. It is a mathematic certainty.

We are not in a closed economy meaning businesses can offset the increase in their labor cost by offshoring. Yes that in your liberal term is shipping American jobs to the Chinese. Another way is to improve efficiency by employing more automation. However either way the minimum wage workers are getting screwed as they will losing their jobs.
Demand. You didn't address demand and how that effects business. Your one-sided analysis is severely lacking.

Old 07-11-2014, 08:46 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,559,990 times
Quote:

Demand. You didn't address demand and how that effects business. Your one-sided analysis is severely lacking.
What demand?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies