U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2014, 05:36 PM

45,670 posts, read 33,930,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
No, it isn't new.

As an old guy, I've been hearing these reports for decades. Every summer. You have to realize that in a nation of 315 million people, there are a considerable number of absolute morons. Some of them reproduce. Some of those who reproduce have access to automobiles in hot weather.

Morons + hot weather + automobiles + infants = not good
As someone getting older by the day I have to agree. This is nothing new.

There is no excuse.

Old 07-11-2014, 05:43 PM

19,899 posts, read 15,864,773 times
These incidents have been going on before now, but we seem to hear more about it now. , Because these careless senseless thoughtless acts, are happing so frequently.

For the life of me and as a Mother, I do not see how this continues to happen, and to forget the child or baby is in the car, sorry do not buy that line of crap.

Old 07-11-2014, 05:53 PM

22,412 posts, read 11,545,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post

I punched the dog owner in the face when she arrived about an hour later. I waited to meet her. The dog was turned into the shelter for rehoming. I've only been this angry at a person once since.
You should have sodomized her with a baseball bat for good measure.

Old 07-11-2014, 05:57 PM

26,306 posts, read 12,797,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
The only time I hit a woman, as an adult (in college), was when a dog owner locked her Great Dane in a hot car with the windows rolled up in the middle of summer in Texas. The dog was prostrate when I walked by and saw him in the car with the windows rolled up. I broke the car window to get him out.

I punched the dog owner in the face when she arrived about an hour later. I waited to meet her. The dog was turned into the shelter for rehoming. I've only been this angry at a person once since.
Ah nice to know one criminal(assault) assaulted another(animal abuse).

I kinda admit though, if they had put you before me I might have been tempted to call it not guilty by reason of "the guy deserved it"

Old 07-11-2014, 06:04 PM

14,379 posts, read 7,942,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
I highly doubt that anywhere in the US you'd face any legal consequence for breaking the window of a car in which a small child was locked on a hot day.
EXACTLY!

You cannot legislate doing the right thing (common sense!) If I saw a child locked in a hot car the last thing I'd worry about is paying for the window!

Like texan2yankee, I'd certainly wait to vent my anger about it, after calling 911.

Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
These incidents have been going on before now, but we seem to hear more about it now. , Because these careless senseless thoughtless acts, are happing so frequently.

For the life of me and as a Mother, I do not see how this continues to happen, and to forget the child or baby is in the car, sorry do not buy that line of crap.
Things like this aren't happening more frequently, we're just hearing about ALL OF THEM in the age of the internet. It used to be we'd only hear about really horrible national tragedies, not every single local incident. Now a cop shooting a dog makes national news, for good reason, and is tried in the court of public opinion the very day it happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
You should have sodomized her with a baseball bat for good measure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
No, it isn't new.

As an old guy, I've been hearing these reports for decades. Every summer. You have to realize that in a nation of 315 million people, there are a considerable number of absolute morons. Some of them reproduce. Some of those who reproduce have access to automobiles in hot weather.

Morons + hot weather + automobiles + infants = not good
THIS^^^ exactly!

Last edited by steven_h; 07-11-2014 at 06:15 PM..

Old 07-11-2014, 06:09 PM

26,324 posts, read 18,938,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
As someone getting older by the day I have to agree. This is nothing new.

There is no excuse.
I used to think there was no excuse too.
Then I read a series in the WaPo about this.

Read and see if you agree.

Fatal Distraction: Forgetting a Child in the Backseat of a Car Is a Horrifying Mistake. Is It a Crime? - The Washington Post

Old 07-11-2014, 06:14 PM

35,122 posts, read 19,212,969 times
Default Be Here Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post

Fatal Distraction: Forgetting a Child in the Backseat of a Car Is a Horrifying Mistake. Is It a Crime? - The Washington Post

Put away the cell phone. Focus on what you're doing right now, not distracting yourself with nonsensical trivia.

What's more important than your child?

Old 07-11-2014, 06:31 PM

12,081 posts, read 6,898,025 times
The difference between us, greywar, is you'd walk by the dying dog in the locked car.

Last edited by texan2yankee; 07-11-2014 at 07:44 PM..

Old 07-11-2014, 06:44 PM

8,287 posts, read 7,516,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post

I just went looking for this article when I saw this thread. Thanks for posting. Everyone should read it. I found the cognitive explanations of these happenings particularly informative:

"[David] Diamond is a professor of molecular physiology at the University of South Florida and a consultant to the veterans hospital in Tampa. He’s here for a national science conference to give a speech about his research, which involves the intersection of emotion, stress and memory. What he’s found is that under some circumstances, the most sophisticated part of our thought-processing center can be held hostage to a competing memory system, a primitive portion of the brain that is -- by a design as old as the dinosaur’s -- inattentive, pigheaded, nonanalytical, stupid . . . “The quality of prior parental care seems to be irrelevant,” he said. “The important factors that keep showing up involve a combination of stress, emotion, lack of sleep and change in routine, where the basal ganglia is trying to do what it’s supposed to do, and the conscious mind is too weakened to resist. What happens is that the memory circuits in a vulnerable hippocampus literally get overwritten, like with a computer program. Unless the memory circuit is rebooted -- such as if the child cries, or, you know, if the wife mentions the child in the back -- it can entirely disappear.”

Last edited by helenejen; 07-11-2014 at 06:52 PM..

Old 07-11-2014, 06:47 PM

39,290 posts, read 40,644,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
There is no excuse.
I'm a bit absent minded often thinking about things when I should be concentrating on the task at hand. I can't tell you how many times I've left things like coffee's, my wallet , an expensive camera and other things on the roof of the car. I mention this becsue I recall the one incident with the parent leaving her kid on top of the vehicle and driving away so i could relate to that. All of us do stupid things sometimes that aren't done on purpose, just hope when your stupid act comes up it's not something major.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or