Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2014, 10:22 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,332,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattee01 View Post
Because some of them chose to drop a mountain right on top of a city of people.
OMG.......where????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2014, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
There is no "CEO" tax rate. That you don't understand that is rather telling. To engage in this discussion when you lack even a basic understanding of how things actually work is a futile endeavor on your part.

EVERYONE pays they exact same tax rate on the same quantity of the same type of income. There are no special rates for rich people or CEO's.
Rather than learn the tax code....some would rather worry about the "dog with a bone".

Get your own bone folks....if you can type on the message board...you can do it.

Old 07-12-2014, 10:59 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,638,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
"I make more money, so I'm more credible".

Wow, what logic. Or, should I say "arrogance".
That's not I was getting at all, pnw. Donn, the poster the comment was directed at, made the very wrong assumption that because I'm liberal I'm poor and do not pay taxes. No, so happens, as I stated in my original post, I'm a squarely middle class citizens who pays around 30 percent of my income in taxes. I don't see why I should be paying 30 percent of my income while most of the wealthiest pay half that -- if that.

Old 07-12-2014, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
That's not I was getting at all, pnw. Donn, the poster the comment was directed at, made the very wrong assumption that because I'm liberal I'm poor and do not pay taxes. No, so happens, as I stated in my original post, I'm a squarely middle class citizens who pays around 30 percent of my income in taxes. I don't see why I should be paying 30 percent of my income while most of the wealthiest pay half that -- if that.
30%....just income tax.

Do some refiguring.

Or, are you saying 30% of your income in taxes???

Old 07-12-2014, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooleys1300 View Post
All Americans should pay the same rate, top to bottom, no exemptions, no deductions.
The only reason anyone who's intellectually honest can give for some people paying a higher percentage of their income in taxes than others is that "the rich don't need the money".

That's class warfare, plain and simple.

A flat tax would insure that everyone has an equal percent of skin in the game and that the government would have to justify to everyone when they want to raise taxes rather than trying to use the tax rates as a political weapon.

And for those who will start whining about how it would disproportionately effect the poor, I say nonsense.

Using a 10% rate as an example to keep the math simple, someone who makes 100,000 a year would pay 10,000 in taxes which would be double what someone who makes 50,000 a year would pay at 5,000 and 10 times as much as someone who makes 10,000 a year would pay at 1000.

Anything more complicated than that is nothing more than a way for the government to pit one group of people against another for political purposes.
When the income tax was first adopted, Americans were assured that money used to secure life's basic necessities (food, shelter, clothing) would never be taxed. If you only made enough money to survive, you didn't pay taxes. So, the income tax was in effect a luxury tax.

I think we should incorporate that principle into your suggested tax code revision. We should not tax the first (15,000? 20,000? 30,000? whatever) a person makes. After that minimum dollar amount, we should tax everyone the same percentage of their income. And income should be taxed equally regardless of its source. (Taxing income resulting from labor more heavily than capital gains is ridiculous.)

Old 07-12-2014, 11:06 AM

19,013 posts, read 14,188,739 times
Redistribution of "what?"

Some think that lack of money is the cause of poverty and that taking from productive people and giving to the non-productive people is the remedy. But if money really ended poverty, let us just give 22 billion billion quatloos to everyone, making them set for life. Of course, if the newly rich do not engage in productive labor, generate goods and services, transport them, and fill the marketplaces, there would be nothing for those billions to purchase. And civilization would swiftly collapse.

It is obvious that money is not the solution in a money mad world.

Old 07-12-2014, 11:08 AM

Quote:
When the income tax was first adopted, Americans were assured that money used to secure life's basic necessities (food, shelter, clothing) would never be taxed. If you only made enough money to survive, you didn't pay taxes. So, the income tax was in effect a luxury tax.

I think we should incorporate that principle into your suggested tax code revision. We should not tax the first (15,000? 20,000? 30,000? whatever) a person makes. After that minimum dollar amount, we should tax everyone the same percentage of their income. And income should be taxed equally regardless of its source. (Taxing income resulting from labor more heavily than capital gains is ridiculous.)
The tax from labor has already been paid when the money is invested.

Just read though the posts......I am not good at explaining this.

Old 07-12-2014, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
I don't disagree at all. The fact of the matter is, our federal government wants to treat the tax code like a voodoo doll. That means they create tax breaks for an insanely long list of things. There are lower tax rates for doing certain things -- and the list of those things is also insanely long.

Better idea: Scrap all of this "tax breaks for ergonomic toilet seats at truck stops" idiocy. Fair tax means everyone pays taxes no matter what. Adding in a luxury tax for items that only the obscenely wealthy can afford means they pay more taxes. And tax evasion would be virtually impossible. How do you avoid sales tax? Offshore accounts in the Caribbean or Switzerland won't help you there because you only get taxed when you actually spend money.

It may not be the end-all-beat-all solution, but I think it works better for individual taxes. Right now, our tax system is so complex that we have an entire industry (a massive one too) built on trying to make sense out of it all. That creates a world where the wealthiest of Americans will always come out ahead, just as we see with Romney paying about 14% on his estimated $21 million annual income, and doing so 100% legally. Romney is a small fry in that whole game. Bigger players can and do come out paying even lower tax rates.

Like I said, don't hate the player, hate the game. If you hate the game then advocate for changing the game. The current game is stacked against regular middle-class workers because it is insanely complex. So the solution is to make taxes as simple as humanly possible. Ain't rocket science.
Agreed on all points. A complicated tax code inevitably benefits those who are wealthy enough to lobby politicians to create loop holes for them. A fair tax code would be much, much simpler.

Old 07-12-2014, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Agreed on all points. A complicated tax code inevitably benefits those who are wealthy enough to lobby politicians to create loop holes for them. A fair tax code would be much, much simpler.
I use those "loopholes" you can too.

Old 07-12-2014, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
The tax from labor has already been paid when the money is invested.

Just read though the posts......I am not good at explaining this.
I'm quite familiar with this line of reasoning, driller. I don't agree with it. I don't see the capital gains tax as taxing the same dollar twice. That's a very convenient line of thought for those whose primary source of income in investments, but it's a recipe for concentrating wealth and power at the top and overtaxing the middle, laboring classes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies