Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2014, 06:43 PM

2,490 posts, read 2,545,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
I'm watching a documentary on the French Revolution, and it brought up the very well known fact that in the decades before the bloody event the wealthiest nobles were paying virtually nothing while the middle classes and below were paying ridiculously high taxes. In America at the moment, guys like Mitt Romney are paying around 15 percent and guys like me (a very middle class Soldier) and probably you are paying near 30 percent. Come on my Republican brethren, isn't it about time to double the taxes of the wealthiest Americans so we can return to some semblance of economic normalcy?
I'd say really there needs to be a complete overhaul of the tax code. One very basic that has a stepped tax rate based upon income, no loop holes. You make X amount, you pay y dollars. Only tax credits or refunds would be eligible to those making below a certain amount and also stepped so that at different levels you get different amounts. I'd also say that big companies that pay their workers below a certain amount, don't give certain benefits, etc get hit with higher tax rates. Same goes for those with more than a certain amount of foreign workers or who decide to incorporate overseas. These tax loopholes that are very obvious can easily turn around and burn them to make them change their minds and make the work place more productive. Let me just say that I would've loved nothing more than for every time corporate used to cut our payroll that the government increased their tax rate. It gets awful tiring working your butt off and making the budget, just to see corporate cut 20 hours and then give millions out to executives as bonuses and donate millions to their buddies so that it wasn't taxed. I say tax these greedy aholes til they turn purple or cut us a little slack.

It also wouldn't hurt if there was a cap on income. I used to believe it was an evil idea until I saw how much the gap between the average worker and CEO has become only for companies they run to become worse for the employees. I understand a well groomed CEO being worth a couple million, but after a point it's nonsense. You reach a certain degree where your pay no longer matches your contribution back into the economy. Instead of increasing their pocket lining every year, they need to be backing the majority of workers who keep the boats afloat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2014, 06:44 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed from California View Post
Tell you what, westy, you go first (assuming you even pay taxes).
I wondered....could anyone be that out of the loop???

Old 07-11-2014, 06:44 PM

6,354 posts, read 3,653,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
40% is high enough.
Billionaire CEO Warren Buffets federal tax rate is 11%.
Warren Buffett's Effective Federal Income Tax Rate Was Just 11% - Forbes

CEO Mitt Romney's federal tax rate is 14%.
Romney paid 14% effective tax rate in 2011 - Sep. 21, 2012

And CEO Dick Cheney has a 6% federal tax rate.
http://www.ctj.org/pdf/bushchen05.pdf

But a single American making $100,000 a year pays a 21%+ federal tax rate.
Tax Brackets (Federal Income Tax Rates) 2000 through 2014

Americans making $100,000 a year pay a 2x higher tax rate than billionaires like Warren Buffet. And republicans want to give the CEO's even more tax cuts.

Romney's Economic Plan Includes $6.6 Trillion Tax Cut For The Rich And Corporations | ThinkProgress

Old 07-11-2014, 06:45 PM

7,800 posts, read 4,400,201 times
Unfortunately there are people in your party who believe that the richer you are or the more you make, the less you should pay in taxes. Anyone with any sense of fiscal sanity will advocate for the rich to pay their fair share for the sake of the fiscal soundness of the nation. The financial books of the USA should not be balanced on the backs of the middle class.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattee01 View Post
I'd say really there needs to be a complete overhaul of the tax code. One very basic that has a stepped tax rate based upon income, no loop holes. You make X amount, you pay y dollars. Only tax credits or refunds would be eligible to those making below a certain amount and also stepped so that at different levels you get different amounts. I'd also say that big companies that pay their workers below a certain amount, don't give certain benefits, etc get hit with higher tax rates. Same goes for those with more than a certain amount of foreign workers or who decide to incorporate overseas. These tax loopholes that are very obvious can easily turn around and burn them to make them change their minds and make the work place more productive. Let me just say that I would've loved nothing more than for every time corporate used to cut our payroll that the government increased their tax rate. It gets awful tiring working your butt off and making the budget, just to see corporate cut 20 hours and then give millions out to executives as bonuses and donate millions to their buddies so that it wasn't taxed. I say tax these greedy aholes til they turn purple or cut us a little slack.

It also wouldn't hurt if there was a cap on income. I used to believe it was an evil idea until I saw how much the gap between the average worker and CEO has become only for companies they run to become worse for the employees. I understand a well groomed CEO being worth a couple million, but after a point it's nonsense. You reach a certain degree where your pay no longer matches your contribution back into the economy. Instead of increasing their pocket lining every year, they need to be backing the majority of workers who keep the boats afloat.
What "loophole" can others use that you can't???

Please tell me.

12,997 posts, read 13,644,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed from California View Post
Tell you what, westy, you go first (assuming you even pay taxes).
Do you know how to read? I'm a middle class Soldier. I pay around 30 percent. Those in 1 percent pay around 15 percent. Do you see the disconnect?

Old 07-11-2014, 06:47 PM

2,490 posts, read 2,545,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
Isn't it about time to make sure everyone has some skin in the game? How can those who contribute nothing expect to have a voice in how the country is run in the form of a vote?
I agree with you. Everyone who works should be paying taxes...on the other hand I don't agree with social security recipients to have to pay taxes. The problem has come from the fact that so many companies pay poverty wages and low hours so people can't get by with the money they make. What sense does it make to tax that group? Instead we need to get their hours and wages up to a point that it makes legetimate reasoning to tax them too.

Old 07-11-2014, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad3 View Post
Billionaire CEO Warren Buffets federal tax rate is 11%.
Warren Buffett's Effective Federal Income Tax Rate Was Just 11% - Forbes

CEO Mitt Romney's federal tax rate is 14%.
Romney paid 14% effective tax rate in 2011 - Sep. 21, 2012

And CEO Dick Cheney has a 6% federal tax rate.
http://www.ctj.org/pdf/bushchen05.pdf

But a single American making $100,000 a year pays a 21%+ federal tax rate.
Tax Brackets (Federal Income Tax Rates) 2000 through 2014

Americans making $100,000 a year pay a 2x higher tax rate than billionaires like Warren Buffet. And republicans want to give the CEO's even more tax cuts.

Romney's Economic Plan Includes $6.6 Trillion Tax Cut For The Rich And Corporations | ThinkProgress
What was the income of these men from???

Old 07-11-2014, 06:48 PM

6,354 posts, read 3,653,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
40% is high enough.
Obama tried to make rich CEO's pay their fair share of taxes with a law called the "Buffet Rule", but republicans stopped the Buffet Rule law from passing (Nearly every Republican congressman opposed the proposal.)

Buffett Rule - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-11-2014, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Do you know how to read? I'm a middle class Soldier. I pay around 30 percent. Those in 1 percent pay around 15 percent. Do you see the disconnect?
You need to talk to a good CPA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies