Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2014, 12:51 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,727,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
OMG....H & R Block....just thinking about them makes me mad.

When I was married to my frist husband I needed to file and do the loan on the refund.

So, I did our taxes....I just wanted Block to file them.....and give us a loan.....this was a service they offered.

The man looked at my forms and said...."you can't do that".....I said yes...just file it.....he would not.

In time a manager came over and asked what was going on.....I was getting loud.

He looked at my tax forms and said.....good job.....file them.

This worker was doing taxes......that should concern anyone going to Block.
yep, but those who don't understand don't know any better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2014, 01:17 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,163,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by remoddahouse View Post
The US is running large deficits. Spending will continue to increase as more and more people draw on Social Security and Medicare. Outside of Medicare/aid, SS, debt interest and the military, there's only 28% of the budget to cut and 39% of that isn't discretionary. The biggest outlays there are Medicare and Social Security and both are going to increase at a high rate due to the aging of the population. Raising taxes is the only way to balance the budget.
Wow, how very Göbbel-esque.

Social Security and Medicare are not part of the budget....anyone with a brain can go read the law. After you read the law, why don't you see if you can figure out the meaning of "General Fund."

Social Security is not paid out from the General Fund. While it is true that part of Medicare is paid out of the General Fund, it is all true that's your fault. Since 2001, the Medicare Trustees have begged Bush and Obama and Democrats and Republicans to raise the HI Tax or reduce Medicare reimbursement rates or both, yet they have refused for 14 years running.

Your claims regarding non-discretionary spending is also propaganda and disinformation.

You have failed to differentiate the law as written by Special Interest Groups rubber-stamped by Congress and the regulations as written by the responsible agency.

For example, the Secretary of Agriculture could publish a notice in the Federal Register that effective this date, only persons who reside in non-related multi-households are eligible for Food Stamps.

Turd: I want Food Stamps.
Gov Employee: Do you reside in a non-related multi-household?
Turd: No.
Gov Employee: Then you are **DENIED ** since you have not done all that you can do. Ask not what your country can do for you, but ask what can you do for your country. Bring us proof that you reside in a non-related multi-household, and you can reapply.

....28 days later....

Turd: I want Food Stamps.
Gov Employee: Do you reside in a non-related multi-household?
Turd: Yes, here's a notarized copy of the lease agreement or mortgage documents and deeds proving that we share living accommodations with another household and that we are not related by blood or marriage to that household.
Gov Employee: Excellent. Unfortunately you are **DENIED ** since your Disposable Income has increased due to the fact that you now share living expenses...and you can afford to pay for your own food....have a cluckety-cluck-cluck day.

See how that works?

The program is mandatory...the amount of spending is not mandatory and can be altered at any time with the stroke of a pen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
If we ever believed for a second that "all men are created equal" and were willing to demonstrate that in action...
Um, massive reality fail.

"All men are created equal" means no man is ordained by god to be royalty or of noble blood or destined to rule over others simply because of family lineage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
This won't be done, and isn't even being mentioned.
Gee, I "wonder why" ?
Probably because it's stupid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
You really can't do that with a flat taxed applied as a national sales tax.

I would exclude non-prepared food from taxation (like it is in many states already). And that is it.
Um, comrade, you live in a federal republic, not a nation. It is a Federal Sales Tax or a Federal Value Added Tax.

No State on this Earth employing a sales tax/VAT taxes food, medical, legal or rent/mortgage.

Britain, Germany, France, and nearly every other State either exempts or significantly reduces the tax for infant wear and toddler clothing, in addition to safety devices for infants and toddlers such as car seats, cribs, strollers and other such things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
I think we should tax all forms of income (passive and active) at the same rate.
Troop, you don't get paid to think.

Quote:
Well, if taxation was made illegal, there wouldn't be any money to pay for the basic services government provides -- defense being one of them.
Taxing the labor of an individual is wrong on any number of levels.

Quote:
In about six months time, if that long, the U.S. would be entirely defenseless. How long do you think it would take for a government that does invest in fighter jets, bombers, tanks, etc. to roll on in and help itself to our riches?
How many TDEs would Venezuela require?

What, am I talking over your head?

Quote:
If you do everything you can to make sure you pay zero taxes, as driller proudly states she does to anyone who will listen, then yes -- I pretty much equate that to stealing.
Then you're a thief......unless you can prove you claim ZERO exemptions on your tax returns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post

BBC News - Study: US is an oligarchy, not a democracy

Quote:
Multivariate analysis indicates that economic elites and organised groups representing business interests have substantial independent impacts on US government policy, while average citizens and mass-based interest groups have little or no independent influence.
Yeah, so?

It's not like you weren't warned.

Marx said the bourgeoisie use government as a platform to advance their own agenda.

What, you thought he was joking?

If the US is an oligarchy, then that is your fault due to your own selfishness, greed and apathy, and you have no one to blame but yourself.

Meaningful campaign finance reform starts at home.

Any time you want you can cast off the apathy and move to amend the charter of your unincorporated township, incorporated township, incorporated village, town or city to clearly state that only persons eligible to vote may contribute to individual campaigns or ballot issues.

Which part of "only persons eligible to vote may contribute funds" do people not understand?

Can Proctor & Gamble vote? No, so they cannot contribute squat.

Can the American Hospital Association vote? No, they cannot, so they cannot contribute squat.

Can Losers Local 666 vote? No, so they might as well stop collecting useless dues.

See how easy Life really is?

Mircea

Old 07-13-2014, 04:49 PM

10,030 posts, read 9,505,733 times
Quote:
Agreed, so let's triple capital gains taxes pronto so we can reach these reasonable tax rates.
How about controlling the insane Government spending.

Old 07-13-2014, 04:58 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,561,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
LOL, Detroit... Obama's plan for the rest of the country and double the people on welfare. It's time to take the money off the table and stop the bleeding.
Petch751 wants to kill babies!!!

A big part of the welfare goes to children, including millions of illegals, whose parents can't even afford raising them.

Old 07-13-2014, 05:22 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,039,869 times
Quote:
I'm watching a documentary on the French Revolution, and it brought up the very well known fact that in the decades before the bloody event the wealthiest nobles were paying virtually nothing while the middle classes and below were paying ridiculously high taxes. In America at the moment, guys like Mitt Romney are paying around 15 percent and guys like me (a very middle class Soldier) and probably you are paying near 30 percent. Come on my Republican brethren, isn't it about time to double the taxes of the wealthiest Americans so we can return to some semblance of economic normalcy?
Since you are presumably fighting for our freedom, why don't you come to a different and more sensible conclusion, like let's lower your middle class taxes to 15%. We should all be paying much less.

Old 07-13-2014, 05:30 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,194,123 times
I'll agree with the OP when:

~ food stamps are cancelled
~ welfare is cancelled
~ free cell phones cancelled
~ EBT cards cancelled
~ foreign aid is cancelled

Old 07-13-2014, 05:38 PM

827 posts, read 865,424 times
High taxes are a disgrace.

Why don't you think about lowering the taxes for the poor instead of increasing for the rich?

Real good economies don't need abusive taxes.

Old 07-13-2014, 05:46 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,340,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EduardoFinatto View Post
High taxes are a disgrace.

Why don't you think about lowering the taxes for the poor instead of increasing for the rich?

Real good economies don't need abusive taxes.
The poor do not pay income tax.

Old 07-13-2014, 06:21 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,356,787 times
The University of Chicago surveyed 40 prominent economists on cap gains taxes.

Poll Results | IGM Forum

One of the questions asked was this:
Quote:
Despite relabeling concerns, taxing capital income at a permanently lower rate than labor income would result in higher average long-term prosperity, relative to an alternative that generated the same amount of tax revenue by permanently taxing capital and labor income at equal rates instead.
36% agreed or strongly agreed that lower cap gains rate would result in higher prosperity. 13% disagreed or strongly disagreed.

34% were uncertain or had no opinion. Tax Foundation's Will McBride notes that this probably just reflects the fact that not all economists are tax experts.

Old 07-13-2014, 06:38 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,755,022 times
America is a capitalist country so the laws will benefit capitalists. Why surprised?
Anyway, I do think single persons are taxed too much. I pay over 30% taxes from my salary too. I often feel I work hard to feed those who don't work, and their children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies