Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2014, 10:36 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,561,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
We tried this once before. The promised investments....did not occur.
It would be helpful if you provide supporting documents to back up your one-liner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2014, 10:36 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,727,707 times
One has to wonder how the people selling drops would like it if government took a chunk of their drug money.

Old 07-15-2014, 10:39 AM

14,481 posts, read 11,278,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
I'm watching a documentary on the French Revolution, and it brought up the very well known fact that in the decades before the bloody event the wealthiest nobles were paying virtually nothing while the middle classes and below were paying ridiculously high taxes. In America at the moment, guys like Mitt Romney are paying around 15 percent and guys like me (a very middle class Soldier) and probably you are paying near 30 percent. Come on my Republican brethren, isn't it about time to double the taxes of the wealthiest Americans so we can return to some semblance of economic normalcy?
The French have had something like 6 revolutions since our single 1 and you want to follow their example?

Old 07-15-2014, 11:02 AM

1,442 posts, read 1,341,055 times
Quote:
Do you know where income taxes come from? They come from people working. Do you really want to reduce people working, when that work builds/expands business, provides jobs and provides tax dollars?

Personally I think tripling it would be insane, you never want negative shocks like that, but I do feel taxing it at the same rate as earned income would be reasonable, along with a reduction in loopholes.

Actually heres a good question for you. Lets say the taxation on taking profits from your investments WAS tripled-and assigned to the date of the bill being created. Would you take profits at a massive taxation level, or let them sit in the investments until the taxes came back down?
The problem I have with increasing the capital gains tax is if you increase it too much i.e. triple it as was suggested, then you discourage people from investing, including the average Joe investing in their 401k's because the tax bill once you take the money out would be a very painful pill to swallow. It would further encourage off shore investing which would eliminate the revenue we currently do receive in capital gains tax.

In answer to your question though. If the taxation where to triple, I'd pull what I have now invested out and pay the lower tax rate before the rate goes up and re-invest it where the penalties aren't as harsh. There are countries with much lower capital gains taxes than what we have right now. I would probably then split new investment money with half going into our domestic investments and ride it out until the rates go back down to something more reasonable and the other half would go off shore. Just thinking off the top of my head as I'd have to spend some time researching before I did anything.

Old 07-15-2014, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Do you know where income taxes come from? They come from people working. Do you really want to reduce people working, when that work builds/expands business, provides jobs and provides tax dollars?

Personally I think tripling it would be insane, you never want negative shocks like that, but I do feel taxing it at the same rate as earned income would be reasonable, along with a reduction in loopholes.

Actually heres a good question for you. Lets say the taxation on taking profits from your investments WAS tripled-and assigned to the date of the bill being created. Would you take profits at a massive taxation level, or let them sit in the investments until the taxes came back down?.
Do you know where investment comes from? Do you know what investment is and how that drives the economy?

Investment comes from people's savings. Investment is to put your own money at risk hopefully to get some return. It's never a sure thing and most people lose money; however, without investment, there will be no jobs available.

Take the Keystone project for example. A Canadian company wants to put up billions of dollars to build a pipeline in US. To building this pipeline, they would need to hire thousands of people in America. Since Obama turned it down, there would be investment - no jobs for the Americans. For big projects like that, it typically takes 5-10 years to see the return on investment.

And you want to tax the capital gain higher. Why? To discourage investment? The investors would say "screw that. It takes 10 years to recover my investment and now I have to pay taxes? I'll just put the money in the bank."

Then you get no jobs. :-)

Old 07-15-2014, 11:39 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,727,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Do you know where investment comes from? Do you know what investment is and how that drives the economy?

Investment comes from people's savings. Investment is to put your own money at risk hopefully to get some return. It's never a sure thing and most people lose money; however, without investment, there will be no jobs available.

Take the Keystone project for example. A Canadian company wants to put up billions of dollars to build a pipeline in US. To building this pipeline, they would need to hire thousands of people in America. Since Obama turned it down, there would be investment - no jobs for the Americans. For big projects like that, it typically takes 5-10 years to see the return on investment.

And you want to tax the capital gain higher. Why? To discourage investment? The investors would say "screw that. It takes 10 years to recover my investment and now I have to pay taxes? I'll just put the money in the bank."

sssh... the left doesn't want him to know that!

Old 07-15-2014, 11:45 AM

Let's just confiscate all the money from the rich and distribute to the poor, just to make it fair.

Oh, wait a minute, it has tried already for decades by multiple countries such as China, USSR and N Korea.

Well, it doesn't prevent us from trying this again!

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

Old 07-15-2014, 12:51 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,365,659 times
Quote:
It would be helpful if you provide supporting documents to back up your one-liner.
Sure

Report: Repatriation Tax Holiday a 'Failed' Policy - WSJ

Old 07-15-2014, 12:53 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,365,659 times
Quote:

BWahahaha

OK lets be honest here. #1 what does the bank do with the money you put into it. Go ahead...think that through.

Yes I want to tax capital gains at the same rate as earned income is. I find nothing unreasonable about this. But suddenly you treat it like the end of the world. why?

Old 07-15-2014, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Your link requires subscription but wiki has an article and here's the interesting part:

"In 2011, Senate Democrats, arguing against another repatriation tax holiday, issued a report asserting that the previous effort had actually cost the United States Treasury $3.3 billion, and that companies receiving the tax breaks had thereafter cut over 20,000 jobs."

Here's another report which is bad beyond repair:

Repatriation Tax Holiday Would Lose Revenue And Is a Proven Policy Failure — Center on Budget and Policy Priorities
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies