Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 10:39 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,158,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
We are 8th worldwide . Where is Texas?
That's funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
The article is a piece of pure logistical fallacy and liberal deception.
Yes, indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
after reading the story, it looks to me that the LA times is just mad that government got cut instead of having taxes raised.
That, too.

The idiot claims tax cuts are the cause of problems, yet fails to provide a single shred of evidence to support his claim.

My guess is that being a Liberal in California, he fears tax cuts, which is why he wrote his driveling diatribe.

He claims "job growth in Kansas trails the nation" yet he provides no evidence to prove that, nor does he provide evidence to show it is related to the tax cuts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
I was alive. If you will recall it was his vice-president, G.H.W. Bush, who coined the term "voodoo economics"...
I was there and that's a lie.

Presidential Candidate George H. Bush coined the phrase --- before Reagan was even elected, and before Bush was chosen as Reagan's running mate, but not in reference to what you all know as "Voodoo Economics."

There's little point in bragging about being there if you're going to get it wrong.

Quote:
... but when taxes are already low and the government coffers are already low, then tax cuts do little and if nothing are harmful to economy.
Tax cuts can never be harmful to an economy.

That's an impossibility.

I'm not referring to Opportunity Costs.

Taxes come in two flavors: Opportunity Costs and Ivory Tower Hallucinations.

Quote:
The argument that tax increase will destroy prosperity has been proven wrong time and time again.
Actually no, we can go back to Ancient Mesopotamia and see the destructive impact of taxes.

Quote:
G.W. Bush pushed this nation to the brink of bankruptcy with his tax policy...
That's wrong....Bush unwittingly and unknowingly saved you from a 8 to 12-year Depression.

See this....

...without both the tax-cuts and the war-spending......your economy nose-dives and face plants into a pile of crap even worse than the 1930 Recession.

In the Future, Bush will be hailed as an unwitting hero for having prevented your economy from free-falling.

Quote:
I will conclude by asking you a question, " tell you what, find me a society that has found prosperity by having a bankrupt government?"
What government has found prosperity by having a bankrupt society?

Being there...

Mircea
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2014, 11:14 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,628,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
Explain to me how government taxation improves the economy.
Government taxation through a sales tax certainly helped make Oklahoma City prosper. Downtown Oklahoma city had been a dump in the 1990's until the townspeople heard they got passed up for a big plant because the company thought Indianapolis had a higher quality of life. So people responded to the situation by voting a higher sales tax upon themselves and have voted to renew it ever since. Look at downtown now. The new glistening 50 story Devon Tower. Higher taxation made possible the professional basketball team. Downtown Oklahoma City would still be a dump had higher taxation not been allowed to help bring about prosperity.

Old 07-14-2014, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
With liberal progs, more taxation is always better. They will never admit that maybe they have Taxed Enough Already, and if their government did not waste and abuse the trillions of dollars we already gave them, they could make due with what they have.
But a lot of Republicans in Oklahoma City, including the Republican mayors, always strongly supported renewing keeping the higher city sales taxes in place in order to keep prosperity going, while making quality of life better. After all, many outsiders have always thought of Oklahoma City as nothing but a dump. Going there now may surprise many of those outsiders for the better.

Old 07-14-2014, 11:24 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,169,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
But a lot of Republicans in Oklahoma City, including the Republican mayors, always strongly supported renewing keeping the higher city sales taxes in place in order to keep prosperity going, while making quality of life better. After all, many outsiders have always thought of Oklahoma City as nothing but a dump. Going there now may surprise many of those outsiders for the better.
Oklahoma City definitely surprised Seattle when they took their team.

Old 07-14-2014, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Yet Rick Perry proudly asserts that it is low taxes and fantastic tax incentives that have led to the Texas economic boon.

So what is Kansas doing wrong? That's the real question.
What is Oklahoma doing wrong, as well? Tax revenues there fell short by around $180,000,000 in 2014. Heavy tax incentives, to try to entice industry to Oklahoma, likely associated with corruption, along with income tax cuts are thought to be behind the problem. This, despite oil is booming much bigger in Oklahoma than it is in Kansas.

Oklahoma has no hub airports, which explains why it isn't able to attract much industry, especially ones with a global outreach. There is an occasional rare exception to the rule, such as ASCO, a Belgian aircraft parts manufacturer now setting up it first USA manufacturing plant with up to 600 workers.

Texas has at least 2 or 3 huge hub airports, as well as a lot more people living there, which goes a long way in explaining why Texas has considerably less trouble attracting big business and industry.

Old 07-14-2014, 11:33 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,449,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomadAK View Post
Were you actually an adult, or even alive, during the Reagan years?

At the time, I remember the "tax cuts for the wealthy" and how they would crush the middle and lower class. And yet, I went from owing taxes under Carter to getting a refund under Reagan, and I was a helluva long way short of being a millionaire. The way the economy roared and the feeling the energy of the time, the certainty that tomorrow was better than today and the day after that, even better. We shucked of fthat typical Democrat funk of things aren't ever going to get better and all we can do it manage the decline for a soft landing.

And if tax cuts are so bad, why did the Bamster go with "making work pay"? Tell you what, find me society that has taxed itself to propsperity and if it exists, why aren't you all living there?

How did you net out after your rent necessarily skyrocketed?

Yes, I got a tax cut from Reagan but my rent went up five consecutive years, forcing me to move three times (as in I couldn't afford the new rent) and to ultimately become homeless for four months, sleeping in my employer's offsite storage area.

Of course, if you were a homeowner at the time, you enjoyed the windfall of skyrocketing appreciation and home equity, but the benefits of the tax cuts were not enjoyed by all taxpayers.

Old 07-14-2014, 11:43 AM

328 posts, read 471,448 times
Quote:
I was alive. If you will recall it was his vice-president, G.H.W. Bush, who coined the term "voodoo economics" and it was his OMB director, David Stockman, who essentially called Reagan's supply-side/trickle-down economics a sham.

The Reagan administration itself had to raise taxes as well as his predecessor G.H.W. Bush to head off the nation from going to bankruptcy and to restore some fiscal sanity. G.H.W. Bush paid for the tax increases with the presidency but the nation itself began its restoration to fiscal soundness.

You last question is an easy one to answer. I will agree that a tax cut when taxes are high will spur the economy as during the Kennedy Administration, but when taxes are already low and the government coffers are already low, then tax cuts do little and if nothing are harmful to economy.

The argument that tax increase will destroy prosperity has been proven wrong time and time again. It was an argument that was heard during the Clinton Administration when it raised taxes slightly - wrong. It was even an argument with Obama increases as the stock market nears 20,000.00.

The basis of far right ideology is that the best government is a broke government. Starve the beast as they say. G.W. Bush pushed this nation to the brink of bankruptcy with his tax policy as has Brownback doing his best to do so with Kansas. It may well be that this and has been purposeful policy to nearly bankrupt the nation or state to limit government spending, not because it may be bad, such as infrastructure spending, but because your ideology says you must.

I will conclude by asking you a question, " tell you what, find me a society that has found prosperity by having a bankrupt government?" Perhaps you can move to a place where the governments are truly bankrupt and you will pay little in taxes, such as Haiti. Move there and enjoy.
Thank you. The Third World is full of countries where government "gets out of the way," there is little-to-no regulation, and it's every man for himself. They should all move there.

Unfortunately, they would live in compounds with high walls, armed guards patrolling 24/7, and need to employ security/bodyguards to drive them everywhere they need to go.

Old 07-14-2014, 11:50 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 20 days ago)

29,549 posts, read 16,535,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
Explain to me how government taxation improves the economy.

Provide 5 concrete examples. And then back up your argument when I refute you.
1. Transportation infrastructure( dont you wonder how your food gets to the store ?)
2. Centers for Disease Control( you have a lot more money when not burying relatives)
3.National Defense. (or did you forget your tax dollars pay for the military?)
4.NOAA/NWC ( because you know, being able to prepare an area for a hurricane or floods save people a lot of cash a s well
5. We could pick and choose here, the pseudo/semi government agencies that clean your water, or give you electricity , the SBA or HUD which both actually help small businesses get off the ground.

Old 07-14-2014, 11:58 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,449,790 times
Quote:
I dont know about those other places, but the California economy is rip roaring doing just fine, thank you.

Maybe you, like the AGW true believers, are looking at only one factor and attributing that single factor to everything you see,

People come to California, start new businesses, and thrive. Texas has to poach, settling for the low hanging fruit. They are more than welcome to tale those back office jobs. Besides, no one is reporting the kinds of businesses and the kinds of jobs and the kinds of people who are leaving California.

Our population is growing (no, illegals do not count in the population counts) and the economy is growing. 8th best in the world. Can Texas claim that?

??? Where did you get that idea? Illegals are included in Census and thus population counts.

Old 07-14-2014, 12:01 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,891,307 times
Quote:
I have come to the come to the conclusion that Tea Party politicians, as Mr. Brownback, do not care about the economic realities of their policies. Ideology trumps ramifications. It matters not that the Governor of Kansas is taking his state to the point of bankruptcy or that his policies disproportionately negatively affects the poor and lower middle class, he has his ideology and bedamned the facts that his policies don't work.

And what do we call this type of faith?

I would call it a supply side religion. Or more accurately, an abridged Christian theology that disregards the basis tenets of Christ's teachings together with a whole heaping of voodoo economics.

Voodoo economics did not work Reagan; did not work for W; does not work for Brownback.

But you guys continue to keep the faith.
How is Obama's plan working out for ya?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies