U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2014, 05:38 PM

14,231 posts, read 15,054,033 times

Advertisements

Obama's smart enough to sell a slim majority of voters that making promises that go nowhere and being "cool" is what it takes to be President of the United States.

Hell, that's all you need to get a Nobel Peace Prize today.

Old 07-12-2014, 05:49 PM

39,134 posts, read 40,480,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post

Like Hitler, obama is an awesome orator....
I wouldn't even call him a brilliant orator, it's the same damn divisive speech every time. Anyone can inspire their base by belittling those that oppose them, apparently even that is wearing thin on his base.

Old 07-12-2014, 05:51 PM

65,998 posts, read 33,439,453 times
Most likely Andrew Johnson, if your talking street smarts.
Calvin Coolidge was very keen, too.
JFK was most likely the most intelligent.

Old 07-12-2014, 05:58 PM

7,475 posts, read 20,121,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cj0065 View Post
Willing to bet Obama's smarter than any of you right wing haters posting here.
...but how many of us communist haters are or have been presidents and qualify to be listed in the poll?
Obviously by comparing our policies to his, we are wayyy smarter than he is...

Old 07-12-2014, 05:59 PM
Status: "It is the nature of grotesque things you canít look away" (set 18 days ago)

17,922 posts, read 8,064,244 times
In our lifetime? Clinton, hands down. I think Obama probably ranks with W in the IQ department - 130 or so, noticeably smarter than average, but no standout.

Overall, in no particular order, to Clinton I would add Jefferson, JFK, Lincoln.

Carter was pretty smart but he lacks the amazing wit that my picks show. OTOH, Reagan shows that wit, but lacks the deeper intellectuality that my picks showed.

I will say that I prefer a smarter president, but I think the people knack is the most important skill in a president. Clinton has it. In this respect, he and Reagan are much alike.

Old 07-12-2014, 06:07 PM

135 posts, read 145,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
If this is a serious question Clinton and Nixon in the 20th Century
I am in strong agreement with this assessment.

Several Presidents were very effective administrators, inspiring speakers, focused strategists or highly "intelligent", but I think Nixon and Clinton set a different bar in regards to understanding, transcending and executing the political process and policy, both in a national and international context. This is not to say their policies or politics were without fault - simply that the coherence of their thought, the mastery of their circumstances and their ultimate results were well-documented and point towards something approaching American political brilliance. Oddly enough, both were (or at least almost) done in by their own moral failings...... or at least they were un-brilliant enough to get caught.

Oh, James Garfield could simultaneously write Latin with one hand and Greek in the other - that's a hell of a cool trick and something I don't think Biden or Palin could pull off.

Old 07-12-2014, 06:34 PM

32,212 posts, read 26,042,296 times
for my money carter is probably one of the most intelligent presidents we have ever had. the man graduated in the top 10% of his class at the naval academy with an engineering degree, and went on to be a submariner working under admiral rickover.

http://www.biography.com/people/jimm...13#early-life&

Jimmy Carter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and jfk would be right up there with carter;

John F. Kennedy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-12-2014, 06:47 PM

18,661 posts, read 12,075,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksy23 View Post
My friends and I (all history/politics geeks) were debating who the smartest president of all time was -- or is. Note that when we say "smartest," we mean book smart.

I did an internet search to see if we could find any good "Top 10 lists." I came up empty, except for a couple of articles like this one:

Who is The Smartest US. President of All Time? Is It Obama?

The article narrows it down to Obama, Wilson, and Jefferson.

But Arthur, Garfield, Cleveland and Lyndon Johnson were themselves teachers.

What's your take on this? Would Jefferson win the accolade for biggest book nerd? Would he win the superlative for "most intelligent"? I haven't done enough research on the more obscure presidents to come to a definitive answer.

Nixon and Carter had the highest IQs of US presidents in the 20th century.

By his diction, vocabulary, and inability to construct cogent arguments in the absence of a teleprompter reveals that Obama is of normal or below normal intelligence. Let us note as well that Obama was a self described "poor student"- I think that is one of the few times he has not lied.

Old 07-12-2014, 07:07 PM

1,696 posts, read 1,456,458 times
Madison -- in part because of who he chose to marry!

But his writing is brilliant and I think you'd be hard pressed to find a president with greater intellect. He drafted the first 10 in the Bill of Rights (yeah, okay the 2nd could be clearer) and set up the organization of the government. He wasn't as argumentative as John Adams -- dude could start a fight with his own reflection -- or as flashy as Jefferson -- who was a wunderkind. If Franklin had been elected, I would have said Franklin.

Old 07-12-2014, 07:09 PM

22,342 posts, read 11,476,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Carter was pretty smart but he lacks the amazing wit that my picks show. OTOH, Reagan shows that wit, but lacks the deeper intellectuality that my picks showed.
Since your picks ignore the smartest President ever, John Quincy Adams, your picks do not mean much.

Obama is in the GWB league, that's it. He ain't no Carter, Kennedy or Clinton.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies