U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2014, 07:12 PM

1,990 posts, read 2,149,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
JFK was most likely the most intelligent.
Nope. Jefferson, JFK said so himself.

Speaking to a room full of all living Nobel Laureates at the time, JFK stated "There has never been a greater concentration of intellectual power here at the White House since Thomas Jefferson dined alone.”

Jefferson, end of story.

Smartest = Jefferson
Most bad-ass = Teddy

/thread

Old 07-12-2014, 07:37 PM

18,191 posts, read 8,211,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Since your picks ignore the smartest President ever, John Quincy Adams, your picks do not mean much.
I don't know much about JQ Adams, so I don't really have an opinion about him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Obama is in the GWB league, that's it. He ain't no Carter, Kennedy or Clinton.
I agree. And said exactly that.

Old 07-12-2014, 08:08 PM

6,111 posts, read 5,076,483 times
One of Americas greatest Presidents was once decribed by a close advisor as having a second rate mind but a first rate personality! The man was Franklin Delano Roosevelt, another great White House occupant was once decribed by his Secretary of State as being a simpleton who needed to have everything repeated to him before he could grasp a subject. This was William Seward's take on Abraham Lincoln. Another great US President was regarded by his parties statesmen as being so uncontrolable that he was not qualified to be President of the USA or even the Governor of New York and that he was a clear and present danger to his party that they tried to bury him in the obscurity of the Vice Presidency. An assasins bullet put this man Theodore Roosevelt into the White House in 1901. Americans tend to shy away from men considered too smart, too clever or too ambitious when chosing a President. We have been luck that we have not voted a Mussolini, Hitler, Lenin, Napoleon, Bolivar, Robespiere, Cromwell,or Julius Caesar into the highest office in the land.

Old 07-13-2014, 03:53 AM

3,092 posts, read 3,451,687 times
John F. Kennedy, hands down. Abe Lincoln for his time. Remember, stupid is as stupid does, and I'll just leave it at that.

Old 07-13-2014, 04:19 AM

30,193 posts, read 16,626,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
obama isn't even in the running...
Hell no, he's not!
Obama is a complete fraud.

Old 07-13-2014, 04:25 AM

30,193 posts, read 16,626,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I wouldn't even call him a brilliant orator, it's the same damn divisive speech every time. Anyone can inspire their base by belittling those that oppose them, apparently even that is wearing thin on his base.
Besides the fact that his speeches aren't his own anyway, though he may embellish them with his own comments (about Fox news, Republicans, or anyone else who opposes him).

He makes an ass of himself every time he opens his mouth, and without the teleprompter ... Game Over ... he's done. "Ahhhhh, ummmmm, ahhhhhh, uhhhhhhhh."

He also uses way too many clichés and trite phrases ("Let me be clear").

Old 07-13-2014, 04:35 AM

11,435 posts, read 16,470,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksy23 View Post
My friends and I (all history/politics geeks) were debating who the smartest president of all time was -- or is. Note that when we say "smartest," we mean book smart.

I did an internet search to see if we could find any good "Top 10 lists." I came up empty, except for a couple of articles like this one:

Who is The Smartest US. President of All Time? Is It Obama?

The article narrows it down to Obama, Wilson, and Jefferson.

But Arthur, Garfield, Cleveland and Lyndon Johnson were themselves teachers.

What's your take on this? Would Jefferson win the accolade for biggest book nerd? Would he win the superlative for "most intelligent"? I haven't done enough research on the more obscure presidents to come to a definitive answer.
Woodrow Wilson was an avowed racist who officially segregated all federal offices and the armed forces. He also created the Federal Reserve and the League of Nations, precursor to the anti-American United Nstions. Some genius. I think that Lyndon Johnson, jimmy Carter and Bill Clinton were the smartest Presidents. Intelligence does not equal a great Presidency however.

Old 07-13-2014, 06:02 AM

29,546 posts, read 16,484,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Oh good lord. Barack Obama is an idiot. He's not book smart. He's Affirmative Action smart. He's I-Got-Elected-Because-I'm-(Half)Black-Smart. He's the Anti-Bush Smart. He's the Bastard-Child-Of-Radicals-Smart. He's Pay-Millions-To- Hide-All-My-Records-Smart. He's Run-Everything-Through-A-Political Filter-Smart. He's Blame-Everyone-But-Me-Smart. He's Lead-From-Behind-Smart. He's Failed-Leader-Smart.

He's worthless in every sense of the word. The average Barnes and Noble consumer could run circles around Barack Hussein Obama.

Old 07-13-2014, 06:37 AM

5,593 posts, read 6,375,300 times
I say it's Thomas Jefferson, hands down.

Old 07-13-2014, 06:40 AM

4,609 posts, read 2,923,093 times
it's jefferson and it's not even close. obama is a dolt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies