U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 08:14 AM

26,632 posts, read 11,166,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
1) Democrats are more fiscally conservative than Republicans. "Tax cuts" are assinine.

2) Yes, it can go on indefinitely. The government can spend money limitlessly. Deficits are good for the economy, provided they go to building infrastructure. Deficits in the form of tax cuts are not so good.

3) The countries with the highest growth last year (China being #1) were the biggest spenders on infrastructure. Hmmmm.... correlation?
like when Clinton cut the capital gains tax from 28 to 20 percent and spurred investment and helped the economy? or Like when Harding cut taxes and spending by 40 percent over 2 years time and unemployment went from over 12 to under 3?

I do agree if government is going to spend money then at least do it like FDR did. The loss will be felt less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2014, 08:15 AM

12,172 posts, read 7,024,958 times
Today's liberal is tomorrow's conservative. Ask the hippies.

Old 07-14-2014, 08:20 AM

46,054 posts, read 29,451,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
As the millennial s grow up an mature and start becoming affected by the liberal policies and they see the taxes they are paying, many will become repubs.
When I grew up and matured, I learned how much damage Republican and right wing policies can cause to this country. And knowing that they want to make opportunity available to only the select few, I became more liberal.

I wouldn't bank on the millineals becoming more conservative because the younger half of the GenXers are a liberal group. Plus Baby Bush screwed it up for Republicans because the Millineals from his terms don't think highly of him like the older GenXers do that came up during the Reagan Era.

JFK torchbearers now vote more Republican | Pew Research Center

Old 07-14-2014, 08:24 AM

46,054 posts, read 29,451,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
Today's liberal is tomorrow's conservative. Ask the hippies.
Not completely true, the Boomers that were teens during the Nixon era are more liberal than than they are conservative.

Old 07-14-2014, 08:29 AM

6,220 posts, read 5,337,322 times
There are a lot of liberal hippie type boomers where I live. Most of them seem to be working class vietnam vets. I suppose it's more of the white collar clean shaven type boomers that tend to be conservative.

Old 07-14-2014, 08:33 AM

19,634 posts, read 12,409,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Yes, Rs can win more millennial voters. They'll have to lay off their fundamentalist religiosity in order to do it though.
Not gonna happen until they start jettisoning the uLtra RWNJs, and the good old boy club.

Old 07-14-2014, 08:35 AM

18,065 posts, read 8,145,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
There are a lot of liberal hippie type boomers where I live. Most of them seem to be working class vietnam vets. I suppose it's more of the white collar clean shaven type boomers that tend to be conservative.
A lot of old hippies are social libertarians who support social safety nets - not too dissimilar from their millennial grandkids!

Old 07-14-2014, 08:39 AM

1,825 posts, read 1,209,108 times
So I read through this thread and saw that it ignored the giant and almost taboo issue of why millennials are increasingly Democratic. They are increasingly diverse and substantially less white then previous generations. For the GOP to really solve their problems with millennials they probably have to figure our minority outreach.

Old 07-14-2014, 08:41 AM

30,194 posts, read 16,586,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
Not gonna happen until they start jettisoning the uLtra RWNJs, and the good old boy club.
Proof once again that the Democrat Leftists are anti-Christian bigots, who believe God does not exist, and wish to silence anyone who believes He does.

The Republican Party abandoning God would be just like the Democrat Party. One Party rule is not good.

Old 07-14-2014, 08:45 AM

18,284 posts, read 9,475,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egbert View Post
So I read through this thread and saw that it ignored the giant and almost taboo issue of why millennials are increasingly Democratic. They are increasingly diverse and substantially less white then previous generations. For the GOP to really solve their problems with millennials they probably have to figure our minority outreach.
Yeah I think that is the situation. My kids are in their 20's and politically are very close to my wife and I but the demographics have changed dramatically since we were that age. Non-whites are overwhelmingly Democrat. My belief is that we (USA) are permanently moving to the left and we'll just have to adapt to it or leave. I'm considering both options as I see what they do. The problem is that as bad as we suck, most everywhere else I've been to sux more (which is whey they come here).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies