U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-14-2014, 08:01 AM
 
Location: Maryland Eastern Shore
969 posts, read 2,520,584 times
Reputation: 932

Advertisements

I am all for charity - just not the corporate charity model where Charmin slaps a pink ribbon on their toilet paper and promises a (miniscule) portion will go to the charity. (retooling their packaging - COSTS MONEY)
All those football players with their pink shoes and gloves in October - that stuff COSTS MONEY. Money that could be sent to the charity of your choice.
In this day and age are we really in need of "awareness" campaigns? Who isn't "aware" of breast cancer (for example).
Those tshirts they print up and give you for running at a Breast Cancer "run" - COST MONEY.

I prefer to give directly to a charity - I don't need my giving to be validated by tshirts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-14-2014, 08:10 AM
 
Location: Old Hippie Heaven
18,287 posts, read 8,235,345 times
Reputation: 10667
Quote:
Originally Posted by UEHelp View Post

...and why do women's cancer fund-raisers get so much more attention than men's cancer? While breast cancer is horrible, we certianly don't see the same attention given to prostrate cancer. Or for that matter, how about lung cancer which affects both genders?
Men get breast cancer too.

We pay a lot of attention to breast cancer now because 20+ years ago, people started organizing around it. They've invested literally millions of hours in the issue. Feel free to stop watching TV and start organizing around any cancer - or other medical issue - that moves you. If you study the breast cancer folks, you won't have to reinvent the wheel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2014, 11:03 AM
 
Location: Wasilla, Alaska
17,825 posts, read 20,232,986 times
Reputation: 6487
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
Doesn't it bother anyone that so many people participate in the walks, runs and fund raisers to cure breast cancer and you know that in the end, should a cure be found that those afflicted with that dread will pay dearly for it when the reality is that is it, has been and will be funded by the public?

Just where is all this money going?

There isn't a day that goes by that there isn't yet another "walk", or some fund raiser to which people are giving and giving again.

Please, don't start with the gotta do something and what is better...doing nothing stuff. That is tired and has absolutely nothing to do with anything. That argument can be used for anything.

The facts are that we have an entire nation brain washed into contributing for cures that in the end will only serve to enrich others. If you say that it is better than nothing then lets use that as a reason to do everything else. On that note we have and look at the messes we've created, all in the name of just doing something.
It does not bother my in the least, because you have completely mischaracterized what they do. None, that I am aware, provide cures. These "marches", "walks", or "runs" are either for the purpose of raising awareness, or raising funds for research and development.

One of the oldest, and perhaps the best known, is the March of Dimes. Their stated mission:
"We help moms have full-term pregnancies and research the problems that threaten the health of babies." --- Mission | March of Dimes
Toward that end, they raise funds to develop a vaccine that prevents cytomegalovirus (CMV), which causes birth defects.

I would much rather individuals contribute to these causes than have the government, at any level, intervene.

If you do not wish to contribute, then do not contribute. That is the difference between an individual choice and a government mandate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2014, 11:13 AM
 
51,974 posts, read 41,825,420 times
Reputation: 32422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
Doesn't it bother anyone that so many people participate in the walks, runs and fund raisers to cure breast cancer and you know that in the end, should a cure be found that those afflicted with that dread will pay dearly for it when the reality is that is it, has been and will be funded by the public?

Just where is all this money going?

There isn't a day that goes by that there isn't yet another "walk", or some fund raiser to which people are giving and giving again.

Please, don't start with the gotta do something and what is better...doing nothing stuff. That is tired and has absolutely nothing to do with anything. That argument can be used for anything.

The facts are that we have an entire nation brain washed into contributing for cures that in the end will only serve to enrich others. If you say that it is better than nothing then lets use that as a reason to do everything else. On that note we have and look at the messes we've created, all in the name of just doing something.
The American Cancer Society raises about $1billion a year. 35% goes to fundraising expenses, 5% to administration and 60% goes to cancer research etc.

Over the last 30-40 years there have been enormous strides in cancer research, breast cancer in particular is much more treatable and survivable.

If you think it "just enriches others" then you are foolish or just don't have hardly any friends or family.

Here's a tip, if you don't want to donate....then don't.

The rest of you message is frankly disjointed and incoherent. I can only pray you were coming off a bender, didn't get any sleep etc. and aren't having a stroke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2014, 11:14 AM
 
Location: Maryland Eastern Shore
969 posts, read 2,520,584 times
Reputation: 932
Do we still need "awareness"? I don't think there is a living breathing person over the age of 13 who is not "aware" of breast cancer - or heart disease - or autism - or any of the other "causes" that people organize these charity walks-runs-bike a thons - whatever.

And every dime spent on organizing - and radio/tv advertising - and tshirts - and posters isn't money going to "THE CAUSE".

The last "cause" I can think of that needed "awareness" was the SILENCE EQUALS DEATH campaign during the Reagan years for AIDS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2014, 11:15 AM
 
51,974 posts, read 41,825,420 times
Reputation: 32422
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Men get breast cancer too.

We pay a lot of attention to breast cancer now because 20+ years ago, people started organizing around it. They've invested literally millions of hours in the issue. Feel free to stop watching TV and start organizing around any cancer - or other medical issue - that moves you. If you study the breast cancer folks, you won't have to reinvent the wheel.
Yep....and as far as cancers go breast cancer is extra sucky IMO because it takes women at an age where they often still have children. My kids lost their mom when they were still in gradeschool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2014, 11:18 AM
 
Location: Maryland Eastern Shore
969 posts, read 2,520,584 times
Reputation: 932
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
The American Cancer Society raises about $1billion a year. 35% goes to fundraising expenses, 5% to administration and 60% goes to cancer research etc.
The American Cancer Society can have my donation.

Susan G Komen Foundation - not so much
I Will Not Be Pinkwashed: Komen's Race Is For Money, Not Cure | Alternet
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2014, 11:20 AM
 
51,974 posts, read 41,825,420 times
Reputation: 32422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasonville View Post
Do we still need "awareness"? I don't think there is a living breathing person over the age of 13 who is not "aware" of breast cancer - or heart disease - or autism - or any of the other "causes" that people organize these charity walks-runs-bike a thons - whatever.

And every dime spent on organizing - and radio/tv advertising - and tshirts - and posters isn't money going to "THE CAUSE".

The last "cause" I can think of that needed "awareness" was the SILENCE EQUALS DEATH campaign during the Reagan years for AIDS.
Most awareness campaigns are concurrent with fund raising efforts. Thus the incremental cost is pretty tiny relative to what goes to research etc.

I think there is a lot of information out there on the topic that you may be unaware of that could alter your perspective. Best of luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2014, 11:21 AM
 
51,974 posts, read 41,825,420 times
Reputation: 32422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasonville View Post
The American Cancer Society can have my donation.

Susan G Komen Foundation - not so much
I Will Not Be Pinkwashed: Komen's Race Is For Money, Not Cure | Alternet
I agree.

There are various charity rating sites out there that post the financial info and stats and it's wise to know where you $$$ goes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2014, 11:34 AM
 
Location: Wasilla, Alaska
17,825 posts, read 20,232,986 times
Reputation: 6487
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Most awareness campaigns are concurrent with fund raising efforts. Thus the incremental cost is pretty tiny relative to what goes to research etc.

I think there is a lot of information out there on the topic that you may be unaware of that could alter your perspective. Best of luck.
The cost of fund raising efforts is indeed very small. I recall, as a kid, going door to door for several blocks in my neighborhood, obtaining pledges for contributions. Since this was for the March of Dimes, they would pledge one dime for every mile I walked (this was also during the 1960s). After the march was over, I would return to those who pledged their support, show them the number of miles I officially walked, and collect their pledge.

All of this was voluntary and did not cost the March of Dimes a penny. The biggest cost to the March of Dimes for organizing the event was advertising, and much of that was also donated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:52 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top