U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 09:13 AM

17,850 posts, read 20,170,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasonville View Post
I'd like to leave the politics out of this and stay on the topic with regards to fundraisers and "fees"

From the before mentioned Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure web page:

2015 Susan G. Komen Global Race for the Cure
/Register now to save $10 off the registration fee.
Up to 75 percent of the Komen Global Race for the Cure's net income stays in the Washington, D.C. Metropolitan Area to fund breast cancer screening, treatment and education programs through the National Capital Region Grant Program. The remaining 25 percent funds research and global programs. To reach our goal we rely on every participant to do their part and fundraise for the cures.

Participation Options

Select one of the participation types below.

Indicates Required

Select a Participation Type
Walker - $30.00 (includes $10.00 discount) Walk the 5K route in Washington, D.C. on May 9.

Runner - $35.00 (includes $10.00 discount) Run the 5K route in Washington, D.C. on May 9. Runners automatically receive a timing chip in their Event Kit.

Kids for the Cure® - $15.00 (includes $10.00 discount) For children between the ages of 5 - 12 who wish to participate in a special short obstacle course, receive a race kit and have their own personal fundraising webpage. (Parents: Kids must be accompanied at the Race by a parent or guardian. If you are registering to participate yourself, you may add your kids to your own registration below, instead of selecting this participation type and registering each child individually. Each child that is added to an adult's registration will receive a T-shirt and race bib, but will not be provided with a personal fundraising webpage.)

Sleep In for the Cure® - $30.00 (includes $10.00 discount) Can't lace up your walking shoes? You can still raise money for Komen. Register to Sleep In for the Cure and we'll send you a comfy Race for the Cure T-shirt to snooze the day away in.

Raising funds is the primary goal for the Komen Global Race. So, we ask you to do your part and fundraise for a cure.
Then it is not an event anyone should participate in. They are not serious about raising money. As I said before, you have to check out these so-called charitable institutions, many of them are scams. Such as this Komen Global Race scam. The first clue is, if they are charging fees, then it is not a charitable event.

According to their own records the organization shows $420 million in private donations ($439 million in total revenue) for fiscal year 2012, and $409 million in overhead expenses. That is 93% in overhead expenses! If a charitable organization has more than 10% overhead, they should be avoided like the plague.

Komen Foundation's Race is for Money, Not the Cure

In a real charitable event, every walker/runner is sponsored by other donors. There are no fees. Even the publicity for the event is typically donated. Overhead is kept to an absolute minimum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2014, 12:20 PM

19,635 posts, read 12,389,411 times
Quote:
My mother has lived (so far) 45 years after her initial diagnosis - my cousin died from breast cancer - many Aunts died from breast cancer. I come from a family of breast cancer genetically. Just happens to be a "cause" I know too much about

My "problem" is with the idea that ANY charity uses more money to make money than actually benefits the "cause" - and people run around in various colored ribbons and tshirts proclaiming "Run for the Cure" of whatever.

Did we ever have to "run" to fund anything other than disease "awareness"

You can look up where the money goes online. If you don't like what you see, then don't support it.

I do the same with kidney disease, heart disease, and any other charity I donate my time and money to. If I don't like the cost/benefit, I don't support it.

Old 07-16-2014, 05:04 AM

969 posts, read 2,514,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post

In a real charitable event, every walker/runner is sponsored by other donors. There are no fees. Even the publicity for the event is typically donated. Overhead is kept to an absolute minimum.
Why do I need to "sponsor a runner" when I can give DIRECTLY to the charity of my choice?? This is the nonsense factor - that people running - walking - Polar Bear swimming are necessary to give to a charity.

I choose to give directly to the causes I support - I also volunteer my time at various Veteran organizations as well as previously visiting nursing homes with the Pets on Wheels people.

The organizational skills - tshirts - arm bands - officials - (even when donated) are efforts better spent otherwise (just my opinion).

Instead of "running" - drive a patient to an appointment.

Old 07-16-2014, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Why do I need to "sponsor a runner" when I can give DIRECTLY to the charity of my choice?? This is the nonsense factor - that people running - walking - Polar Bear swimming are necessary to give to a charity.

I choose to give directly to the causes I support - I also volunteer my time at various Veteran organizations as well as previously visiting nursing homes with the Pets on Wheels people.

The organizational skills - tshirts - arm bands - officials - (even when donated) are efforts better spent otherwise (just my opinion).

Instead of "running" - drive a patient to an appointment.
Absolutely nothing stops you from giving directly to a charity of your choice. That is my personal preference as well. I avoid organizations like United Way, who are just middle-men and siphon off what should be going directly to the charity.

The purpose of the walks and runs is to raise money and awareness. By going around the neighborhood and asking for people's sponsorship, one is raising awareness of the event and the issue for which the charity is raising money. Even those who do not contribute are still made aware of the issue. If you would rather donate directly to the charity rather than sponsor a walker or runner, I would fully support that position. The goal is to raise money and awareness of the charity's issue, and if you contribute directly to the charity rather than sponsor a walker or runner, then that goal has been accomplished.

Old 07-17-2014, 06:10 AM

969 posts, read 2,514,684 times
Quote:
The purpose of the walks and runs is to raise money and awareness.
Here is some "awareness" - from the Breast Cancer Action Group:
"Lymphedema is a common and sometimes debilitating side effect of breast cancer treatment that far too many women experience. Lymphedema can occur when lymph nodes are removed or damaged, leading to swelling of the arm due to blocked flow of lymph system fluids. This condition can cause long-term physical, psychological and social problems for patients.

Currently, Medicare and other insurance providers do not cover critical components of lymphedema treatment. As a result, many patients suffer from recurrent infections, progressive degradation in their condition and eventual disability because they cannot afford the compression supplies required to treat their condition. The Lymphedema Treatment Act would require Medicare to cover comprehensive lymphedema treatment and would set a precedent for Medicaid and private insurers to follow.
[CENTER]Help us pass the Lymphedema Treatment Act – take action now.[/CENTER]
[LEFT] The Lymphedema Treatment Act is an important bill that would improve and expand insurance coverage for the treatment of this condition, which if left untreated, can lead to infection, disfigurement, disability and in some cases even death.

Here’s what this important piece of legislation would do for women living with breast cancer:
[/LEFT]
  • Provide comprehensive lymphedema treatment coverage, according to current medical treatment standards;
  • Enable patient self-treatment by providing necessary medical supplies for use at home (including gradient compression garments, bandages, and other compression devices)
Take action today and make sure good and effective lymphedema treatment is available to every woman who needs it. "

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Old 07-17-2014, 06:44 AM

2,801 posts, read 1,822,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
It's not that deep. Anyone can ask for a disclosure, annual report or explanation of how funding (from walks) is spent. If the info received isn't to your liking, don't participate in the walk.

The money is used to fund the research for the cure. Not the treatment of the cure itself.

No one is hiding anything from anybody. Just ask.

THIS ^^^ I think a few in this thread need to STOP paying attention to those EMAILS that claim 85% of contributions go to "administration" and 20% to "Fundraising"() and go to the website of whatever charitable organization they want to know about and request an annual report or funding disclosure, they are REQUIRED by Federal law as a 501(c)(3) organization to supply those to anyone that asks(they may even have the information on their site), and NO, they can't make stuff up, their books MUST be audited and certified by a private outside auditor every year.

I worked for a 501(C)(3) charitable organization for MANY years, I know of which I speak.

Old 07-17-2014, 06:50 AM

2,801 posts, read 1,822,301 times
Quote:
If a charitable organization has more than 10% overhead, they should be avoided like the plague.
I guess you don't give to ANY organizations then ...10% ??? How are they going to pay employees? Fundraising?

Old 07-17-2014, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMack View Post
I guess you don't give to ANY organizations then ...10% ??? How are they going to pay employees? Fundraising?
There are lots of organizations that keep their overhead below 10%. Below are just a few:
  • The American Red Cross has a total overhead of 9.4%;
  • Feeding America has a total overhead of 1.4%;
  • Food for the Poor has a total overhead of 4.0%;
  • Feed the Children has a total overhead of 7.9%;
  • Catholic Relief Services has a total overhead of 6.6%;
  • Marine Toy's for Tots has a total overhead of 2.5%.
This is by no means an exhaustive list of the charities who keep their overhead low.

Source:
Charity Navigator - America's Largest Charity Evaluator | Home
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies