Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2014, 11:16 AM

7,280 posts, read 10,943,455 times

Advertisements

Doesn't it bother anyone that so many people participate in the walks, runs and fund raisers to cure breast cancer and you know that in the end, should a cure be found that those afflicted with that dread will pay dearly for it when the reality is that is it, has been and will be funded by the public?

Just where is all this money going?

There isn't a day that goes by that there isn't yet another "walk", or some fund raiser to which people are giving and giving again.

Please, don't start with the gotta do something and what is better...doing nothing stuff. That is tired and has absolutely nothing to do with anything. That argument can be used for anything.

The facts are that we have an entire nation brain washed into contributing for cures that in the end will only serve to enrich others. If you say that it is better than nothing then lets use that as a reason to do everything else. On that note we have and look at the messes we've created, all in the name of just doing something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2014, 11:23 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,497,029 times
It's not that deep. Anyone can ask for a disclosure, annual report or explanation of how funding (from walks) is spent. If the info received isn't to your liking, don't participate in the walk.

The money is used to fund the research for the cure. Not the treatment of the cure itself.

No one is hiding anything from anybody. Just ask.

Old 07-13-2014, 01:11 PM

1,787 posts, read 3,848,625 times
Most of the "Walks" are all about "awareness", not for finding a cure. Most of the walkers walk to show support. We all know someone that has/had breast cancer so it's easy to relate. The money is almost entirely spent on ads, administration, and the giveaway goodies. It's about " feel good".

There are a few walks for research and finding the cure. I support those. As charlygal said, just ask.

Old 07-13-2014, 10:50 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
This is not about cancer, it is about the politics of raising money. Moved.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 07-14-2014, 06:15 AM

757 posts, read 1,093,864 times
There are a few Internet sites that provide data on where the money goes within non-profits. Many have excessive admin salaries. I find it particularly insulting when I'm in a supermarket check-out line and the checkers asks me in front of numerous people if I want to donate to X cause. I always say "no" and ask the checker if he or she or the store would like to contribute to my fund to help pay for the higher cost of food that ironically isn't included in the cost of living stats.

...and why do women's cancer fund-raisers get so much more attention than men's cancer? While breast cancer is horrible, we certianly don't see the same attention given to prostrate cancer. Or for that matter, how about lung cancer which affects both genders?

Lastly, I also find it ironic that that pharmaceutical industry spends a lot of money on treatments but not so much on cures. I wonder why?

Old 07-14-2014, 06:17 AM

58,973 posts, read 27,267,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
Doesn't it bother anyone that so many people participate in the walks, runs and fund raisers to cure breast cancer and you know that in the end, should a cure be found that those afflicted with that dread will pay dearly for it when the reality is that is it, has been and will be funded by the public?

Just where is all this money going?

There isn't a day that goes by that there isn't yet another "walk", or some fund raiser to which people are giving and giving again.

Please, don't start with the gotta do something and what is better...doing nothing stuff. That is tired and has absolutely nothing to do with anything. That argument can be used for anything.

The facts are that we have an entire nation brain washed into contributing for cures that in the end will only serve to enrich others. If you say that it is better than nothing then lets use that as a reason to do everything else. On that note we have and look at the messes we've created, all in the name of just doing something.
If you don't want to, don't walk, don't run and don't give money.

Do you really think ANYONE CARES what you think on this issue?

Old 07-14-2014, 06:28 AM

969 posts, read 2,851,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UEHelp View Post
. I find it particularly insulting when I'm in a supermarket check-out line and the checkers asks me in front of numerous people if I want to donate to X cause. ...................
Yes - as if Mr. Safeway needs another tax deduction on MY dime.
And
I want to share a web page that changed my whole way of thinking about "feel good" walks and the "Pink Washing" of breast cancer -
Think Before You Pink »

Old 07-14-2014, 07:00 AM

757 posts, read 1,093,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasonville View Post
Yes - as if Mr. Safeway needs another tax deduction on MY dime.
And
I want to share a web page that changed my whole way of thinking about "feel good" walks and the "Pink Washing" of breast cancer -
Think Before You Pink »
Amen! And don't think for a moment that Mr. Safeway thought out how to take advantage of asking for money when you're checking out with others' are watching. Maybe we should call it "shame giving"?

Old 07-14-2014, 07:08 AM

969 posts, read 2,851,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UEHelp View Post
Amen! And don't think for a moment that Mr. Safeway thought out how to take advantage of asking for money when you're checking out with others' are watching. Maybe we should call it "shame giving"?
It gets "better". When they are pushing a particular cause (such as Labor Day weekend MDA fund raising) they ANNOUNCE the amount you "gave" over the loudspeaker system!
I just say "Not today"

Old 07-14-2014, 07:46 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,135,000 times
We know you Conservatives hate public funding, now you're against charity??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies