U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2014, 11:35 AM

23,237 posts, read 17,263,344 times

Advertisements

I'm 28 and grew up in TN. I lived in a fairly white area. Race wasn't something that was heavily thought of or talked about it - there weren't many minorities, most people were racially accepting and treated everyone based on mutual respect. People generally got as they gave and that was that.

I lived in South Carolina on and off in a majority black area for several years when my girlfriend at the time was in college. Again, race was rarely an issue. Blacks, whites, and Hispanics got along generally well. You'd have an occasional idiot from all sides make a comment, but it never was in the social fabric.

I now live in a suburb of Indianapolis, but spend a decent amount of time in the city. I've been to the gym in the city proper the last three days and each day in the locker room I've overheard conversations of race. Some were friendly, another was fairly antagonistic.

Indy is dealing with a lot of local crime, mostly black on black, but a 20 year white police officer was gunned down by a black suspect last week. This has once again brought up uncomfortable topics of race for many locals. I work in a multiracial office (white/Indian) and I've heard some of my coworkers talking about race and crime. Discussions of big city crime almost always go back to race.

The issue on the border also has a racial component. I've overheard lots of comments on race, seen them on this board, heard it on the radio from both sides, etc.

Does it seem like many more things are racially tinged today than five or ten years ago?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2014, 11:38 AM

49,739 posts, read 26,382,328 times
Nope.

Only on CD. In real life, most ordinary people could care less about the issue.

Old 07-13-2014, 11:45 AM

22,332 posts, read 11,470,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Nope.

Only on CD. In real life, most ordinary people could care less about the issue.
Ditto, with the exception of immigration issues which I regard as primarily economic but racial to some.

Old 07-13-2014, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Ditto, with the exception of immigration issues which I regard as primarily economic but racial to some.
The racial hostility and overt racist comments I see on the internet is practically non existent in my offline interactions with people.

I'm sure it's the same way for everyone else.

Old 07-13-2014, 11:55 AM

34,814 posts, read 31,861,675 times
Quote:
The racial hostility and overt racist comments I see on the internet is practically non existent in my offline interactions with people.

I'm sure it's the same way for everyone else.
Nope, it gets some pretty nasty arguments started at work. Probably because we are so close to the border. It never gets out of control, probably because illegal is a status not a race but it's primarily one race doing the majority of the violations. I don't think the race issue can be avoided especially when so many people have skin in the game.

Old 07-13-2014, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Nope, it gets some pretty nasty arguments started at work. Probably because we are so close to the border. It never gets out of control, probably because illegal is a status not a race but it's primarily one race doing the majority of the violations. I don't think the race issue can be avoided especially when so many people have skin in the game.
I bet I live far closer to the border than you do (I can actually see the mountains in Mexico from my patio) and its not even a topic of discussion where I work.

Of course the race issues can be avoided...That's nonsense. I avoid discussing it all the time. I only discuss it personally with people it concerns (for me)...other black people. I'm not interested in offline race discussions with non blacks.

And at work? Never. It's unprofessional to bring up inflammatory subjects in the workplace.

You must have a pretty horrible job or a lame boss. I'd never allow it.

Old 07-13-2014, 12:23 PM

953 posts, read 773,250 times
I like to treat all races with equal

degradation and contempt

...it's only fair

Old 07-13-2014, 12:23 PM

2,042 posts, read 3,615,386 times
Race as described by 1angrytaxpayer is rampant in this country. While I was trucking most of the ILLEGALS I knew were white and came from eastern Europe, yet most of the venom that I hear from the crazy's are against people that have been in this country for 5 and 6 generations~ far longer than most whites have been here. I've even had people scream at my children, born in California of an American-Philipina mother being accused of being a *******, when the closest any of them has gotten to the Mexican border is my Navy son stationed in Ft. Worth, Texas. Seems that illegals are defined as being a certain shade than where they were born.

Old 07-13-2014, 01:05 PM

34,814 posts, read 31,861,675 times
Quote:
I bet I live far closer to the border than you do (I can actually see the mountains in Mexico from my patio) and its not even a topic of discussion where I work.

Of course the race issues can be avoided...That's nonsense. I avoid discussing it all the time. I only discuss it personally with people it concerns (for me)...other black people. I'm not interested in offline race discussions with non blacks.

And at work? Never. It's unprofessional to bring up inflammatory subjects in the workplace.

You must have a pretty horrible job or a lame boss. I'd never allow it.
I never mentioned "me". I work in a crazy big office and we sit close together so you can hear everything. The most heated talk is usually at lunch. The most outspoken are by those that have Parents here illegally (or were) and they are very open about it.

Oh, and now that I think about it I've seen people really go at it on spacebook too Why I avoid being on it.

Old 07-13-2014, 02:17 PM

7,846 posts, read 5,254,288 times
No.

Everything existed. It went unsaid because everything is ok when a white man is in charge. Race becomes an issue when the status quo is challenged.

Conservatism = protecting the status quo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or