U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 05:35 PM

6,502 posts, read 5,046,661 times

Advertisements

Honesty question because I do not know the answer. But despite words of some Democrats, it seems clear their actions show they are not in favor of these things. School choice and vouchers are good for low income people. So just why exactly does it appear the Dems are against it?

Old 07-14-2014, 05:36 PM

14,920 posts, read 11,115,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
Honesty question because I do not know the answer. But despite words of some Democrats, it seems clear their actions show they are not in favor of these things. School choice and vouchers are good for low income people. So just why exactly does it appear the Dems are against it?
I'm totally fine with it as long as the public money doesn't go to religious institutions.

Old 07-14-2014, 05:38 PM

4,572 posts, read 2,962,544 times
It's all about control.

Old 07-14-2014, 06:21 PM

7,846 posts, read 5,254,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed from California View Post
It's all about control.
Yes, it is all about con-TROLL

Old 07-14-2014, 06:33 PM

26,302 posts, read 12,724,540 times
Theres a concern by many that privately ran schools would eventually cost more, provide worse education, and result in Americans having wildly differing educational results.

So lets say short term I run two excellent high schools, one in city A, one in city B, im competing against the public one. I invest heavily in the idea it should all be private. A competitor comes in and we fight over students in A and B. 5 years down the road, I exchange a school in B for his in A. I now have a local monopoly, and both me and my ex competitor raise the costs.

When a new competitor tries to come in to the area, I start lobbying for more requirements. For example, all teachers must have 4 years experience OR be a substitute for 4 years before becoming a teacher. I do this for quality reasons.

I keep cutting costs and raising my prices. Students get the absolute bare minimum. If a student who has issues passing minimum standards, I quietly find reasons to kick them out of school.

Basically its the concern that a business would not be working in the best interests of students, and its hard to make them do so.

Personally I think a different idea should be worked on.

Old 07-14-2014, 06:43 PM

45,442 posts, read 33,752,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
I know some Republicans who are against school choice and vouchers.

The current Democratic Mayor of Chicago is an advocate for charter schools and vouchers. The former Mayor of Newark was pro charter and vouchers.

Teachers Unions in urban areas tend be against charter schools and vouchers. Many of these unions do a fine job convincing voters that it is best when children attend local schools instead of being bused all over the city.

I once lived in a town in NJ where all the schools were ( non-selective) Magnet and most children had to be bused to the school of choice. Our property taxes were outrageous double digits primarily due to the cost of education and business.

Old 07-14-2014, 06:47 PM

24,571 posts, read 9,502,751 times
How about no public schools?

Old 07-14-2014, 06:57 PM

26,302 posts, read 12,724,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
How about no public schools?
Im sometimes curious as to what the result would be for a completely privatized system. I hope some state tries it. Preferably a smaller one so if it fails it damages fewer people, and if it succeeds we could consider a roll out.

And preferably not a state a ever live in.

Old 07-14-2014, 07:02 PM

7,249 posts, read 5,547,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
I'm totally fine with it as long as the public money doesn't go to religious institutions.
This.

I have no objection to a voucher system as long as the money is being spent to educate students and not to indoctrinate them into believing silly fairy tales.

Old 07-14-2014, 07:14 PM

24,571 posts, read 9,502,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Im sometimes curious as to what the result would be for a completely privatized system. I hope some state tries it. Preferably a smaller one so if it fails it damages fewer people, and if it succeeds we could consider a roll out.

And preferably not a state a ever live in.
I'd prefer no compulsory requirements.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies