Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 12:05 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,596,323 times

Advertisements

A Colorado woman who allegedly left her pit bull tied to a pole in a parking lot and wandered off was arrested after the animal mauled a 19-month-old boy who tried to hug it. "The child went to give the dog a hug, and it latched onto his face," giving him serious injuries to the face and neck, a police spokesman tells the Denver Post. The toddler and dog owner Sue Tacket, 51, were in separate groups of transients traveling in motor homes who had camped in a parking lot in the Denver suburb of Commerce City.

Toddler Mauled by Pit Bull He Tried to Hug - Owner who left dog tied to pole arrested

Old 07-15-2014, 12:11 AM

2,687 posts, read 2,185,556 times
I know a lot of people who will defend pit bulls, but there's something about them that seems inherently psychotic. Don't like the breed, owners need to keep a close eye on them.

Old 07-15-2014, 12:27 AM

38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Votre_Chef View Post
I know a lot of people who will defend pit bulls, but there's something about them that seems inherently psychotic. Don't like the breed, owners need to keep a close eye on them.

In before "poodles bite kids too!"

Old 07-15-2014, 05:08 AM

24,404 posts, read 23,065,142 times
I've been looking at local animal shelters for a dog to adopt and 90% of the dogs they have are pitbulls. I'm sure most of them are fine animals and would make good pets. But we live in an area where dogfights are not unheard of and there's an element owning these dogs that are honestly border line knuckle draggers and many are irresponsible. Or they breed them for some quick $$$ and then abandon the ones they can't sell. There's no way I'd take a chance on an aggressive breed like that, one that large and that would be that hard to control. A few months back a neighbor was mauled by his own pitbull. It attacked him because it wanted to go for a ride and he tried to force it from their car. I've had that same fight with small dogs and it was a battle.
I love dogs. We found a pitbull( a female that had been bred) walking along a country road last fall. We picked it up and took it to the animal shelter. I felt terrible for it. It was friendly and seemed happy to be around people. These dogs are status symbols and many people that have them don't understand what a loving and devoted member of the family a dog is. I worked with somebody who spent a short stint in jail for having a pitbull that he didn't pay an aggressive breed license/tax for. We had a laugh about that in the breakroom.
The police should do a walking neighborhood sweep and check licenses for these dogs. There's an easy revenue stream for the department and they'd be doing the community a favor.
I had a snippy little dog and it was something I always watched out for. As much as she loved her close family, she was afraid of strangers( fear biter) and wasn't fond of other dogs either. If she got to know a person she was fine but I was always on guard to keep her controlled. But she was small and that wasn't hard to do.

Old 07-15-2014, 05:14 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,576,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
In before "poodles bite kids too!"
I don't care who bite kids. Stop raising dogs to bite. All of my 5 dogs will treat any stranger with lots of kisses. If a burglar comes into my house, he will be treated with 5 happy animals. Heck my dogs will probably help him carry out some stuff. They don't even bark at strangers. Last time a salesman came by, they all wagged their tails and licked the hell out of him. My next door toddler has hugged all 5 of my dogs many times. And they have licked the hell out of that toddler also.

If I ever see any sign of aggression in any of them, I will put the dog to sleep. As much as I love dogs, people are more important.

Old 07-15-2014, 05:35 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,394,916 times
There should be special licensing requirements for certain dog breeds. A lot of people that own these types of dogs don't put in the time and effort to train them properly.

Old 07-15-2014, 05:38 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times
People need to teach their children how to interact with animals.

Stories like this are heartbreaking.

Old 07-15-2014, 05:41 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosie_hair View Post
I don't care who bite kids. Stop raising dogs to bite. All of my 5 dogs will treat any stranger with lots of kisses. If a burglar comes into my house, he will be treated with 5 happy animals. Heck my dogs will probably help him carry out some stuff. They don't even bark at strangers. Last time a salesman came by, they all wagged their tails and licked the hell out of him. My next door toddler has hugged all 5 of my dogs many times. And they have licked the hell out of that toddler also.

If I ever see any sign of aggression in any of them, I will put the dog to sleep. As much as I love dogs, people are more important.
Our labs were like that too.

But....I would never say a dog would not bite......they all will...just nature of the beast.

Old 07-15-2014, 06:33 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
Unfortunately leaving a pit bull unattended is more irresponsible than leaving a gun unattended.

My sympathy for all involved. I hope the child is recovering. I feel for the dog that was only doing what he was bred to do. Dogs cannot help themselves. They have to follow their breeding and training.

Old 07-15-2014, 06:35 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,975,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
A Colorado woman who allegedly left her pit bull tied to a pole in a parking lot and wandered off was arrested after the animal mauled a 19-month-old boy who tried to hug it. "The child went to give the dog a hug, and it latched onto his face," giving him serious injuries to the face and neck, a police spokesman tells the Denver Post. The toddler and dog owner Sue Tacket, 51, were in separate groups of transients traveling in motor homes who had camped in a parking lot in the Denver suburb of Commerce City.

Toddler Mauled by Pit Bull He Tried to Hug - Owner who left dog tied to pole arrested
Where was this kid's parent? What sort of adult allows a 19 month old child to approach a strange dog and not only touch it, but hug it? The adult that was supposed to be watching this child should be arrested also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies