Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2014, 04:27 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,800,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
Everything dog attack is a pit bull or pit bull mix until otherwise proven. You notice "pit bull mix", what about the other mixes in the mutt? A recent example is in Miami where a lady got attacked and killed by her four dogs, the media quickly labeled "pit bull" attack. A few days later, buried in the back of the news (the attack was the headline), did the local media (Miami Herald I think) put out a correction and stated they were not pit bulls, but boxers.

Even a few people in this forum labeled the dog in the "hero cat" story a pit bull, though the dog did not look even close to one nor any where in the media identified it as such.
Just another contribution to the nation of fear along with rainbow parties, gun violence (in most areas) and the knock-out game.

Old 07-16-2014, 04:52 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,558,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
Health survey gives government its first large-scale data on gay, bisexual population - The Washington Post

First large scale survey on orientation by the government. Another 0.7% identify as bisexual

FTA:The National Health Interview Survey, which is the government’s premier tool for annually assessing Americans’ health and behaviors, found that 1.6 percent of adults self-identify as gay or lesbian, and 0.7 percent consider themselves bisexual.

The figures offered a slightly smaller assessment of the size of the gay, lesbian and bisexual population than other surveys

The overwhelming majority of adults, 96.6 percent, labeled themselves as straight in the 2013 survey.

That 10% figure thrown around since Kinsey studies in the 1940s is pretty much bogus.

sounds about right, +/- 1%.

Old 07-16-2014, 05:28 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,526,059 times
Quote:
Health survey gives government its first large-scale data on gay, bisexual population - The Washington Post

First large scale survey on orientation by the government. Another 0.7% identify as bisexual

FTA:The National Health Interview Survey, which is the government’s premier tool for annually assessing Americans’ health and behaviors, found that 1.6 percent of adults self-identify as gay or lesbian, and 0.7 percent consider themselves bisexual.

The figures offered a slightly smaller assessment of the size of the gay, lesbian and bisexual population than other surveys

The overwhelming majority of adults, 96.6 percent, labeled themselves as straight in the 2013 survey.

That 10% figure thrown around since Kinsey studies in the 1940s is pretty much bogus.

Yeah, sure....like people are going to openly tell the government their sexual preferences?

Like a random straight guy who goes down to the glory hole in the park to get "relieved" is going to tell a government agent he's "bisexual"?....lol, you're a riot!

Old 07-16-2014, 05:29 PM

Quote:

Yeah, sure...because we believe everything the government tells us!

Yeah, sure....like people are going to openly tell the government their sexual preferences?

Like a random straight/married guy with kids who goes down to the glory hole in the park bathroom to get "relieved" is going to tell a government agent he's "bisexual"?....lol, you're a riot!

Old 07-16-2014, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Yes. If you are male they ask if you have participated in gay sex and if you are female they ask if you have had sex with a male that has participated in gay sex. I don't know the exact wording they use, but it is a question they ask, along with the standard have you been out of the country, are you taking any medication, do you have any known illnesses, etc.
Yes, I've seen this question on donation forms too! It asks female blood donors if they've ever had sex with a man whose had sex with another man?

How is a female really supposed to know if her boyfriend got head from another guy at some point in his life??? It's not like he's ever going to admit it if he did.

I once knew a lady who is part of a "swinger couple" and she told me that she has watched her husband get head from another man AND she has donated blood too. So, now what?

That really makes the blood donation question re: sex irrelevant. What ultimately matters most is the blood testing the lab does and the window periods for diseases to show up. If I ever need blood donated, I'll be asking family members first.

Old 07-16-2014, 06:09 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,843,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_human_being View Post
There was one employee at Pensacola Naval Air Station who passed away from AIDS. The management told all the employees in the building that AIDS was not contagious and that they had nothing to fear. A medical team was sent to retrieve the deceased's tools and personal property. The medical team wore coveralls, masks, and gloves. Rocket science?
When did this happen, 1984?! Stop spreading such stupidity!

Old 07-16-2014, 06:14 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,344,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
How do you know this? Are you a statistician? I am, so I will explain a few things. A researcher derives accurate figures by repeating the same experiments or studies over time. The more the results of an experiment is repeated, the more likely the results are to be accurate.

The experiments you are quoting are dependent on a variable that is inaccurate from the start: self reporting. It depends on the truthful responses of the subjects. People may not want to report that they are gay/bisexual for many reasons: stigma, discrimination, denial, etc. . . The definition of what is gay/bisexual can even vary from one person to another. Some people vew being gay as primarily a sexual attraction to the same sex, while others may view it as primarily an emotional attraction. Still others may believe it must include both components (such as myself). Also, a sample of individuals may not be representative of the population as a whole. Thus, the study or studies may or may not be an accurate representation of the incidence of gay/bisexual individuals in the US. Further studies must be performed to validate or invalidate these results.
If you are a statistician and you are aware of how Kinsey gathered his samples and did his research then you should have more of a problem with his numbers than these new ones by the CDC.
I don't know how the CDC, usually a pretty reputable agency with no axe to grind on this issue as far as I am aware, gathered all this information and I didn't say it was accurate if anyone cares to reread my first post.
What I do know is that 10% figure put out by Kinsey always was bogus.

Old 07-16-2014, 06:37 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,843,066 times
You don't have to identify yourself as "gay" to have gay sex. For better or worse, there's an awful lot of people on the "down low" who'll have sex with anybody. Young people (under 30) are especially prone to being bisexual. I'm constantly amazed by the people I meet in that age group who'll have sex with men or women, whatever their mood is. I think the 10 percent number for bisexuals is pretty accurate.

Old 07-16-2014, 07:07 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,878,228 times
This is why they did the study, it's really not rocket science...
The great thing about the CDC is they are actually scientific in their methods, they aren't biased by personal opinion or politics.

CDC ? HIV in the United States ? Statistics Overview ? Statistics Center ? HIV/AIDS

http://www.cdc.gov/nchhstp/newsroom/...Trends-508.pdf

EDIT: Sorry, I posted that top link twice, I forgot I posted it earlier in the thread...

Last edited by Mattks; 07-16-2014 at 07:17 PM..

Old 07-16-2014, 07:38 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,800,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
Yes, I've seen this question on donation forms too! It asks female blood donors if they've ever had sex with a man whose had sex with another man?

How is a female really supposed to know if her boyfriend got head from another guy at some point in his life??? It's not like he's ever going to admit it if he did.

I once knew a lady who is part of a "swinger couple" and she told me that she has watched her husband get head from another man AND she has donated blood too. So, now what?

That really makes the blood donation question re: sex irrelevant. What ultimately matters most is the blood testing the lab does and the window periods for diseases to show up. If I ever need blood donated, I'll be asking family members first.
Unless they are in an open relationship or swingers, you would likely not know if your partner had gay sex on the down low before or during your relationship.

I guess if the blood comes up bad, then it could be thrown out just as if there is an issue that comes up from it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies