Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2014, 10:30 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,390,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Or, shopping for a disabled person.

It could be their job.
That reminds me. Once way way back on 2002 my husband lost his job and we were living on my crummy retail salary of 8 bucks an hour. We never applied for food stamps but we did go to low cost stores such as wonder bread to buy cheap bread. So this one time as we were standing in line waiting to pay this woman turns to us and thanked me for taking care of "him"....and referring to my husband. I was a very sweet girl for doing so she said. My husband looked at her with this wtf look and said..."that's my wife"...lol
As soon as we came home he shaved..lol

Last edited by glass_of_merlot; 07-15-2014 at 10:40 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2014, 11:08 PM

26,855 posts, read 15,085,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
No. For I one I have enough class not to cause a public to do. For another I don't know whether or not that person is abusing the system. They might be, but a snap shot of one shopping day doesn't tell the story. Finally I mind my own business. I may disagree with the food they buy on the tax payer's dime, but it is their right to use the food stamps within the parameters allowed by law.

Those parameters have become quite lax.

Old 07-15-2014, 11:13 PM

37,753 posts, read 40,828,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Many here criticize most social welfare as creating "leeches" dependent on government aid. Commonly cited as a concrete example are food stamps. The archetypical recipient of food stamps, the "welfare queen" with five kids in tow buying Doritos chips, Hershey bars, Land O'Lakes packaged dinners, and Monster energy drinks (plus Coke for the kids) is ingrained in American society. Yet few would dare to voice such criticism when she swipes her food card and the teller hands her a receipt saying the purchase was authorized.

Have you ever saw somebody using an EBT card and voiced criticism to the party using the card? Have you ever snarled your nose in derision of the user? Have you ever heard or seen somebody do the same?
I don't even know what they look like. I don't pay attention to who's doing what in front of me.

Old 07-15-2014, 11:31 PM

1,696 posts, read 1,708,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
That reminds me. Once way way back on 2002 my husband lost his job and we were living on my crummy retail salary of 8 bucks an hour. We never applied for food stamps but we did go to low cost stores such as wonder bread to buy cheap bread. So this one time as we were standing in line waiting to pay this woman turns to us and thanked me for taking care of "him"....and referring to my husband. I was a very sweet girl for doing so she said. My husband looked at her with this wtf look and said..."that's my wife"...lol
As soon as we came home he shaved..lol
Great story, glass of merlot. Beards do age a man...I remember when my FIL shaved his off without mentioning to his wife that he intended to do so. You couldn't believe the difference in his appearance and neither could she. Started talking about her 'younger' husband.

As for the point at hand...unless you know everything about that person in line, don't judge them. They could be a military spouse with a loved-one overseas, someone with a non-visible disability, or a widow(er) with children and medical bills to pay.

Old 07-15-2014, 11:35 PM

15,083 posts, read 20,411,360 times
Quote:

Have you ever saw somebody using an EBT card and voiced criticism to the party using the card? Have you ever snarled your nose in derision of the user? Have you ever heard or seen somebody do the same?

I guess I could but that would require me to stand there, look at what they're using to pay for the food, analyze what kind of food they're buying, assess whether they could kick my azz if I said anything, contemplate the consequences of a fight at the supermarket, etc.

I ain't got no time for that.

[i just want to get my Häagen-Dazs and get out of there...!!]

Old 07-16-2014, 12:23 AM

11,181 posts, read 10,481,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
I mind my own business and do not scrutinize what people use for payment.
If I were going to worry about subsidizing my fellow citizens, it'd probably be Dick Cheney's heart transplant and not a working mother's SNAP benefits that would keep me awake at night.

Old 07-16-2014, 06:03 AM

17,649 posts, read 13,484,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Or, shopping for a disabled person.

It could be their job.
Well, well........................... they need to get a different job!!!

Old 07-16-2014, 06:21 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,581,341 times
I do not know the other person's financial situation and am polite enough not to ask. I assume they will grant me the same courtesy.

MYOB means Mind Your Own Business. I suggest the OP do so.

Old 07-16-2014, 06:27 AM

24,834 posts, read 37,227,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Well, well........................... they need to get a different job!!!
Why??

Home healthcare and chore provider jobs pay OK......at least it is a job.

Old 07-16-2014, 06:39 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,866,941 times
Quote:
Many here criticize most social welfare as creating "leeches" dependent on government aid. Commonly cited as a concrete example are food stamps. The archetypical recipient of food stamps, the "welfare queen" with five kids in tow buying Doritos chips, Hershey bars, Land O'Lakes packaged dinners, and Monster energy drinks (plus Coke for the kids) is ingrained in American society. Yet few would dare to voice such criticism when she swipes her food card and the teller hands her a receipt saying the purchase was authorized.

No, No, and No. Walk a mile in their shoes before believing yourself to be better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies