Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2014, 02:01 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,187,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Sir you and your types will see that the USA is much more than you sate. Learning a foreign lanuage won't hurt anyone at all and will most likely make them more worldly. Did you read this by Mark Twain?

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.”

― Mark Twain, Mark Twain: The Innocents Abroad/Roughing It
I love Mark Twain. I have traveled the world for over forty years, and I absolutely have a different world view from where I started, but I also have come to have a greater respect and regard for the Judeo-Christian principles upon which our exceptional nation was founded. If mixing races and cultures is a bad thing, then I have contributed by bringing home an Asian wife. She had to learn English from scratch, and is now quite fluent, speaking, reading and writing better than many native born Americans. In my admittedly biased opinion, she is America's gain, and it's a little better place because she's here. But she came legaly after great expense in time and money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2014, 09:09 AM

800 posts, read 780,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlover View Post
Hey instead of focusing on real issues lets make fun of spelling errors!

Yeah that will get things done and solve problems!
Regardless of how you see it, almost everyone would agree that in a course of conversation where you have demanded people learn English and decreed that "English is our language" like a petulant child on a power trip, your remarkably insufficient command of English lends a pertinent sense irony to the discussion.

If you are to criticize someone for their English skills or lack there of, or even go as far as advocating to someone with a vastly superior command of the English language than yourself to "learn English" perhaps you should demonstrate the ability to properly use the language you oh so passionately advocate for.

My descendants will be fine. The moment I have kids we will not be speaking English in the home. They'll learn that at school. We'll be speaking French, Spanish, and the Scandinavian languages. I plan on raising my children to be contributing members of a global society, who feel as home in Stockholm as they do in Paris, Salvador, or Chicago.

Also, there are a number of prominent studies that entirely debunk the theory that illegal immigration creates more crime, it is unfortunate that yet again I must again remind you that your assertions are not tethered to any sort of statistical reality, but rather are simply festooned to your perverted sense of what America is and has been, a sense so detached from reality I find it somewhat troubling.

Old 07-18-2014, 11:16 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,961,065 times
Quote:
I am not talking about the overall murder rate, I am talking about violet criminals entering this nation.

Ok you are not understanding me,
Why would I care if folks wore the color violet?

Old 07-18-2014, 11:33 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,101,805 times
Buchanan is a nutcase ... even by my standards and I am pretty freaking conservative. The guy is like stuck in some sort of dream world that never really existed in reality. It's bizarre.

That being said, we DO need a temporary moratorium (at least 5 years minimum) on all immigration and we DO need significantly increased border security measures up to and including the possibility of intervention in Mexico and other areas of Latin America. We need to stop this "nation of immigrants" nonsense to try and justify what is happening ... we do not need huge hordes of illiterate 3rd world peasants, and we also do not need unlimited amounts of job stealers on visas taking away our STEM and medical field jobs either.

Old 07-18-2014, 11:35 AM

3,216 posts, read 2,229,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
I love Mark Twain. I have traveled the world for over forty years, and I absolutely have a different world view from where I started, but I also have come to have a greater respect and regard for the Judeo-Christian principles upon which our exceptional nation was founded. If mixing races and cultures is a bad thing, then I have contributed by bringing home an Asian wife. She had to learn English from scratch, and is now quite fluent, speaking, reading and writing better than many native born Americans. In my admittedly biased opinion, she is America's gain, and it's a little better place because she's here. But she came legaly after great expense in time and money.
Good post!

Old 07-18-2014, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyIU29 View Post
Regardless of how you see it, almost everyone would agree that in a course of conversation where you have demanded people learn English and decreed that "English is our language" like a petulant child on a power trip, your remarkably insufficient command of English lends a pertinent sense irony to the discussion.

If you are to criticize someone for their English skills or lack there of, or even go as far as advocating to someone with a vastly superior command of the English language than yourself to "learn English" perhaps you should demonstrate the ability to properly use the language you oh so passionately advocate for.

My descendants will be fine. The moment I have kids we will not be speaking English in the home. They'll learn that at school. We'll be speaking French, Spanish, and the Scandinavian languages. I plan on raising my children to be contributing members of a global society, who feel as home in Stockholm as they do in Paris, Salvador, or Chicago.

Also, there are a number of prominent studies that entirely debunk the theory that illegal immigration creates more crime, it is unfortunate that yet again I must again remind you that your assertions are not tethered to any sort of statistical reality, but rather are simply festooned to your perverted sense of what America is and has been, a sense so detached from reality I find it somewhat troubling.
I do have to step in and disagree with your assertion regarding crime and illegal immigrants. At least in regard to California. At the very least, drivers here are advised to carry expensive uninsured motorist coverage due to so many illegals being involved in accidents and leaving the scene. Especially during the grape harvest, it is a nightmare. Please don't assert that I do not know what I am talking about. My profession is medical billing. Time and again I can only work off of the patient's insurance as the; how shall I say this delicately; person of Hispanic descent fled the scene without providing their insurance. Illegals are a drag on the California economy as well. Our schools are overcrowded, and hospitals have been forced to close. Spanish is not so much an option here as expected. Translators have to be provided for health and business transactions. They are not providing these services for free. Immigrants who make their way here legally and learn the language become valuable citizens as a rule. We have no need in California for anymore freeloaders.

Old 07-18-2014, 11:56 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,961,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toryturner View Post

. Translators have to be provided for health and business transactions. They are not providing these services for free.

They provide these "services" to make money, just as any business who chooses to provide translators does. That's not a drag on the economy (more business), the last time I checked.

Old 07-18-2014, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
They provide these "services" to make money, just as any business who chooses to provide translators does. That's not a drag on the economy (more business), the last time I checked.
The businesses and health services who must hire these people don't see it that way. Btw, your violet comment was, I must admit, one of your best.

Old 07-18-2014, 12:57 PM

1,696 posts, read 1,713,884 times
Quote:
It is not name calling to call a lair a lair.

You dont care that a man with his power is that far detached from reality? Possible suffer from mental illness?
Now we've got violet criminals in a lair...

Whatever next?

Old 07-18-2014, 01:11 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,249,351 times
Quote:
It has not effect you yet...

I am talking about crime cause by illegals..How can you not understand this?

This site has a full list of people who were murdered by illegals and if they were no in this nation they would still be alive..

Victims of Illegal Aliens Memorial

I am fairly certain that a much longer list exists of people killed by mass murderers who should never have been allowed to obtain a gun.

And by the way, a lair is a den. A liar is someone telling an untruth. How can you not understand that? At first I thought it was a typo but you keep repeating the incorrect word as you vehemently insult people, calling them "lairs."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies