Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 09:11 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,093,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveLidoBeach View Post
My health insurace was cancelled at work. I had a $200 deductible. Now? I have a $5,000 deductible EACH and they will only pay 80% of the approved amount after I have satisfied the deductible. So basically we don't have insurance anymore.

My inlaws are 70 (and healthy) and their deductible went from $250 to $9,000 EACH!
I understand the frustration behind the first part of the quote. I have company provided insurance and I've noticed we're paying more & more for less & less. This second half puzzles me. Why aren't your in-laws on medicare? It could be their provider of choice doesn't take it...

I think we need to drop this low level insurance stuff and just have coverage for catastrophic events, that will force consumers to look at actual costs & determine if they're getting their money's worth. People don't care because their insurance provider distorts the outrageous billing of the hospitals. If the insurance company is getting a 50-60% discount on the price a hospital charges, then that pricing structure is inherently broken.

I blame some Doctors, but I mostly blame Hospital Administrators.

I had a recent example of how our healthcare system is broken. I tore my meniscus back in Feb. I've tried 3 different Drs. The first one listened to what I said about how I hurt it and the pain and said "oh, it just sounds like a torn meniscus, we can arthro that right out" - actual quote that I still remember from February. No discussion of options, etc. He then said I'd likely never run again, and this guy works in a renowned clinic in Houston, TX. I then went to another one based on a friends reference. Similar situation, but at least he insisted that I get an MRI, which apparently doesn't hit my deductible for some reason. Anyway, he said yup, I need arthroscopic surgery.

Not wanting to get surgery, I asked my PCP for a reference, and she sent me to a Doctor in a nearby clinic. He was stunned when I told him about the other two. At that point I said, too many doctors have hammers and think everything is a nail. He regrettably agreed. He suggested a cortisone shot to see if that helps, if it doesn't we'll look into therapy, and surgery as a last result. The shot worked for a while, and I was able to run with some pain, but nothing debilitating. He then suggested I try a brace to take some of the weight off my knee. Turns out that's all I really needed and I'm back to doing 10Ks, albeit a bit slower.

Funny thing is when I was trying the brace on at his clinic, I asked what the return policy would be if this doesn't help. All I got were blank stares. I guess even the folks in the hospital figure if insurance is covering it, why should I care?

Old 07-17-2014, 09:53 AM

4,582 posts, read 3,408,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
You can't wait until people who previously had no insurance but now DO have insurance, lose their insurance? You can't wait until people who have preexisting conditions are again turned away by insurance companies? Stay classy!
Yes! Because the government is making ME pay for it!! And I have no shame in saying so, I am not to be these peoples keeper!! And it time for Americans to say no more!

Old 07-17-2014, 10:29 AM

2,125 posts, read 1,481,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntwrkguy1 View Post
Ah, yes.

There are LOTS of different prices for the same service where hospitals are concerned.

Unfortunately, Obamacare failed in the worst way to address the biggest problem with healthcare: Why is it so expensive?
One only needs to make a single trip to a hospital to totally wipe out one, two, or three or more years of insurance premiums he has paid to an insurer. The problem is the cost of medical care is through the roof. Insurance companies' profit margins rank 88th among all industries.

CARPE DIEM: Health Insurance Companies Rank #88 by Industry Profit Margin, Earning $100-200 on Avg. per Policy

Obamacare is assuring insurance companies a higher profit margin guaranteed by the taxpayer. Small wonder the insurance companies support the monstrosity.

Old 07-17-2014, 10:40 AM

2,417 posts, read 3,562,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Osamacare will fail................then it is on to single-payer.

The Commieocrats are lickin their chops!
if I want to mail a package I can go to the Post Office or UPS/FexEx/DHL, why not the same choice in healthcare, why not allow everyone to buy into Medicare? Their choice.

if gov't healthcare is so horrible people will find out and go back to regular insurance. I thought the GOP was the party of the "Free Market"

you don't want the gov't "in charge" of your life but private insurance companies are right now. they wright all the rules, including the bills in Washington for the last decades. for all the whining of Romneycare, ah, I mean Obamacare, insurance companies have long since kicked people off, changed coverage and doctors. It's not at all new.

admin rate of Medicare is 4-6%. Wayyyy better than private insurance. Now think if Medicare actually had people under the age of 65! (it's called actuarial science)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
It would put the entire health insurance industry out of business.
the problem is that it's an "industry"

well, technically , all those big providers with clinics everywhere are non-profits, dot orgs. how silly, they sure don't look or act like it.

and the industry has a 13% favorable rating with the US public but half of us don't want change. we can be so stuck in our ways sometimes.

Old 07-17-2014, 10:51 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,894,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
It would put the entire health insurance industry out of business.
I can understand that to a extent but health insurance is one industry that almost everyone would say that they are an evil industry. Just look at the two price ranges between non-insurance pricing and insurance pricing earlier in the thread. Then again there are some people that think ending the IRS and all the employment from them is a good is a good idea for the economy...

Old 07-17-2014, 11:36 AM

2,756 posts, read 4,412,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_human_being View Post
Well, Senate minority leader Mitch McConnell offered to allow over-the-counter purchase of contraceptives without a prescription, which would allow even teenage girls to purchase contraceptives with their parents knowledge. The Democrats would have no part in it. They sell condoms over-the-counter, why not sell the contraceptives over-the-counter as well. Makes sense to me. I agree that insurance companies save money by offering contraceptives. They have long authorized coverage for vasectomy and the tying off of a woman's tubes. I simply can't fathom why the Democrats are against the over-the-counter sales unless it is just a control and power issue for them.

Really? The Republicans are favoring purchasing contraceptives (?? like the pill/IUD) over the counter and the Democrats are refusing. Please post the reference on that. I would be shocked if this were the case.

Also, as a health care provider and a Democrat, I would love to increase access for all to contraceptives and morning after pill. However, there are health risks even to contraceptives (like the pill - will increase your risk of blood clots etc...) that women need to be educated about. Selling some things over the counter has to be done safely, and I'm not sure that can be done for many contraceptives.

They say that today if we tried to get Aspirin approved by the FDA to be sold over the counter, it would get rejected. That is actually not a criticism of the FDA. It tells you that Aspirin taken without medical advice is a dangerous medicine. It tells you that unfortunately, many people do not read directions on the packaging for over the counter medicines, and take too much. I have taken care of many patients that have had bleeding strokes due to Aspirin overdose.

So please give me the reference that claims Democrats are trying to restrict access to birth control, and Republicans are not? This role reversal would be shocking and unprecedented. Unless, Republicans are in a hurry to try to reverse their trend on restricting women's control of their bodies, realizing they needs the women's vote to win in the next election? Or are you referring to a bill that is being touted as a "freedom for birth control access", but actually has hidden other agendas that make the bill murky or unsupportable for the Democrats. BOTH Democrats and Republicans are notorious for mucking up bills by adding pet projects or other unrelated add-ons that are an abuse of the legislative process. Unfortunately, this is the current American political way. I wish we as the people would revolt against this.

Old 07-17-2014, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcambridge View Post
Really? The Republicans are favoring purchasing contraceptives (?? like the pill/IUD) over the counter and the Democrats are refusing. Please post the reference on that. I would be shocked if this were the case.

Also, as a health care provider and a Democrat, I would love to increase access for all to contraceptives and morning after pill. However, there are health risks even to contraceptives (like the pill - will increase your risk of blood clots etc...) that women need to be educated about. Selling some things over the counter has to be done safely, and I'm not sure that can be done for many contraceptives.

They say that today if we tried to get Aspirin approved by the FDA to be sold over the counter, it would get rejected. That is actually not a criticism of the FDA. It tells you that Aspirin taken without medical advice is a dangerous medicine. It tells you that unfortunately, many people do not read directions on the packaging for over the counter medicines, and take too much. I have taken care of many patients that have had bleeding strokes due to Aspirin overdose.

So please give me the reference that claims Democrats are trying to restrict access to birth control, and Republicans are not? This role reversal would be shocking and unprecedented. Unless, Republicans are in a hurry to try to reverse their trend on restricting women's control of their bodies, realizing they needs the women's vote to win in the next election? Or are you referring to a bill that is being touted as a "freedom for birth control access", but actually has hidden other agendas that make the bill murky or unsupportable for the Democrats. BOTH Democrats and Republicans are notorious for mucking up bills by adding pet projects or other unrelated add-ons that are an abuse of the legislative process. Unfortunately, this is the current American political way. I wish we as the people would revolt against this.
Just go to your favorite search engine and type in Mitch McConnell over the counter sales of contraceptives" or perhaps "Senate Republicans defeat bill to circumvent Hobby Lobby ruling". It just happened yesterday. It was on Yahoo's main page. I'm not going to research things for every liberal on here. It's easy!! I buy aspirin over-the-counter all the time.

Old 07-17-2014, 11:51 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,558,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcambridge View Post

Here. That poster is as usual, being untruthful. This is what I found.
Dems seek gains with women in birth control loss

McConnell joined with two Republican women, Fischer and Sen. Kelly Ayotte of New Hampshire, in backing separate legislation that would reaffirm current law on access to contraception and in calling for a Food and Drug Administration study on whether contraceptives could be sold over the counter without a prescription. Contrary to what that poster claims, hardly close to offering over the counter contraceptives.

Old 07-17-2014, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Here. That poster is as usual, being untruthful. This is what I found.
Dems seek gains with women in birth control loss

McConnell joined with two Republican women, Fischer and Sen. Kelly Ayotte of New Hampshire, in backing separate legislation that would reaffirm current law on access to contraception and in calling for a Food and Drug Administration study on whether contraceptives could be sold over the counter without a prescription. Contrary to what that poster claims, hardly close to offering over the counter contraceptives.
What would you call it then? They are offering a counter solution. What amazes me the most is that a liberal actually was able to do a search. Did you get help?

Old 07-17-2014, 11:56 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,558,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_human_being View Post
What would you call it then? They are offering a counter solution. What amazes me the most is that a liberal actually was able to do a search. Did you get help?
I think perhaps you're the one who needs help as I provided the facts, you provided untruthful hyperbole. I find it interesting that the only thing proposed was an FDA STUDY on whether to allow over the counter birth control. I don't think you even understand what is going on. Read it again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies