U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-17-2014, 06:24 PM
 
18,537 posts, read 9,533,248 times
Reputation: 5178

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Do you know what financial independence means?

It means you are independent from work, never have to worry about money again, ever.

So about 5% of the total population should have children from this point of view.

I make good money, have what should be a stable job, have savings, and am prepared for a long stint on unemployment if that were to happen to me.

But that doesn't mean I'll find a job or that I am financially independent from the system. I have two children, I suppose they should just starve if something terrible happens where I can't work.

I was on food stamps a long time ago. It helped me get to where I am today, and I've more then paid back in taxes what I drew from the system.

Should the food stamp program be reformed? Sure, no one needs to buy cokes with tax payer money they haven't earned. However, it is a vital program. People have children, run into bad spells and need help. In the richest country in the world, there is no reason for someone who is working 40 hrs a week, or did and was laid off for no fault of their own and is actively looking for new employment, to starve.

This country is not the richest in the world. This country is 17 trillion dallors in debt!

You shouldn't have childern when you can't raise them yourself otherwise I would like to have a say in how you should raise your children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-17-2014, 06:26 PM
 
18,537 posts, read 9,533,248 times
Reputation: 5178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Their idea is your sister should have never had the children. Don't forget abortion is bad, and even accidental pregnancy can happen with birth control. Your sister should just not have sex unless she is financially independent.

Basically thats the conservative talking point and view.
What's wrong with that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2014, 06:54 PM
 
27,903 posts, read 34,340,394 times
Reputation: 4031
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Turns out that Sex is pretty hardwired into most humans. I know, gasp! Ahhh but to you sex is....immoral.

Hey welcome to reality, and the cruel evil things our biology does to us.
So are many other infantile urges. Does that mean the planet's most "intelligent" species should just do what "feels good?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2014, 11:06 PM
 
Location: San Antonio Texas
11,435 posts, read 16,425,802 times
Reputation: 5224
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Some of the information is outdated-the maximum amounts are ~5% less now-so $189 for 1 person is the max not $200.

Also the federal income limits stated are completely wrong-this is from the USDA website-gross monthly income for 1 person is $1245-and having income at the maximum amount won't qualify you for much-you will probably need at least $700+ in rent (housing costs are taken into consideration so if you have none you won't qualify) and will only receive $16-50 per Month in Food Stamps. To get the most in benefits your housing costs need to be around or higher than your income, which also has to meet a threshold-so really as many times as the wannabe elites claim that welfare recipients are living the glamorous life-it really is not the case.

Eligibility | Food and Nutrition Service

I would not want to pay taxes to support our Government if I were working poor-it is easy to see how many become trapped in the welfare system.

I know a few elderly ppl that use food stamps. Most of them are income 1100-1300/mo; food stamp allotment is only $16/mo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2014, 11:08 PM
 
20,586 posts, read 8,763,396 times
Reputation: 7081
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Why did she have 2 children she can't afford? Actions have consequences. That "great life" is one she chose. Sadly, she's also making my life a little harder, because I'm supporting her poor decisions, but I didn't make that choice.
Because she chose to have them rather than abortion. And yes her actions have consequences because we pay for her and her children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2014, 11:18 PM
 
Location: San Francisco, CA
13,909 posts, read 10,871,393 times
Reputation: 12660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Sucking money out of the paychecks of working men and women to pay for someone elses life choices is criminal.
I suggest if you aren't in a position to afford children, dont have them. Birth control is readily availiable and cheap. Your argument holds no water.
I know you haven't considered this, but sometimes people who had jobs and could afford children at one time run into catastrophic circumstances and lose those jobs and can no longer make ends meet at another later time. Take some time to let that one sink in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2014, 11:20 PM
 
Location: San Francisco, CA
13,909 posts, read 10,871,393 times
Reputation: 12660
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
What's wrong with that?
It's unrealistic. Just because you are financial independent at time period A does not guarantee that you will remain financial independent by the time you get to time period B. You can't premise your decision to have kids around having a trust fund, and by the time most people have really substantial amounts of disposable resources, they are old. Did you know that 50 year old women have a hard time getting pregnant?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2014, 11:39 PM
 
Location: Somewhere
8,071 posts, read 5,369,275 times
Reputation: 5654
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
It's unrealistic. Just because you are financial independent at time period A does not guarantee that you will remain financial independent by the time you get to time period B. You can't premise your decision to have kids around having a trust fund, and by the time most people have really substantial amounts of disposable resources, they are old. Did you know that 50 year old women have a hard time getting pregnant?
If you can't afford to feed a freaking child don't have it. What kind of selfish person brings kids to this world in such conditions just because they have an expiration date? If you are already so dirt poor you cannot freaking afford to feed your children, what kind of life can you offer to that child? Oh that's right you need to reproduce is always first, that new creature should be thankful you that you gave him the "miracle of life." Never mind if it is a crappy life full of limitations perpetuating the circle of poverty.

While there is some people who are going through financial troubles most people with young children are abusing the system and screwing those who actually have a need.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2014, 11:58 PM
 
Location: USA
4,787 posts, read 4,220,924 times
Reputation: 2835
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Sucking money out of the paychecks of working men and women to pay for someone elses life choices is criminal.
I suggest if you aren't in a position to afford children, dont have them. Birth control is readily availiable and cheap. Your argument holds no water.
Kids don't choose to be poor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2014, 12:21 AM
 
Location: California
30,509 posts, read 33,322,731 times
Reputation: 25977
People are so funny. Yes yes, don't have kids you can't afford. Keep repeating that and "maybe THEY will learn". But they won't and you want to know why? Because THEY are different people every day, every week, every year. When someone hits puberty, when someones biologically programmed actions take place, babies happen. They will happen no matter how much tisk tisking you do, always, since the beginning of time, and forever. And the less educated and less mature and less likes to have LEARNED or to think about consequences are the ones more likely to make them. By the time they learn they are done and the babies are here. What to do? We could kill them, starve them, send them to an island somewhere I suppose. No? It's not that I don't agree, I'm pretty privileged, smart, educated and whatnot and I didn't have kids I couldn't afford...but a job loss would have made them unaffordable once I did have them and I know that. Every discussion and problem can't end with "don't have kids you can't afford" because thats lazy and very unintelligent. Like some posters.

Rant over.

I looked into food stamps for a young man I knew once, even thought to me he had nothing he didn't qualify. It's probably different in every state though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:39 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top