U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2014, 05:26 AM

66,240 posts, read 30,169,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Ahh yes, "anchor babies" aka "American citizens"

Tell you what, get a constitutional amendment that makes that action not work...
We already have one: the 14th Amendment as originally intended. Plain as day, in the Congressional debates from the time, the 14th Amendment's author (also the Chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee at the time) clearly stated that those born owing allegiance to anybody else were never intended to be U.S. citizens.

Senator Trumbull: "The provision is, that ‘all persons born in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens.’ That means ‘subject to the complete jurisdiction thereof.’ What do we mean by ‘complete jurisdiction thereof? Not owing allegiance to anybody else. That is what it means."

Congressional Record:
http://memory.loc.gov/ll/llcg/073/0000/00152893.tif

Trumbull's role in drafting and introducing the Civil Rights Act of 1866 and the 14th Amendment:
Committee History | About The Committee | United States Senate Committee on the Judiciary

Children born in the U.S. to a foreign citizen parent whose country has jus sanguinis (right of blood) citizenship law were never supposed to be born U.S. citizens. They may choose to naturalize as a U.S. citizen at some point, but they were never intended to be U.S. citizens at birth. Only those ignorant of historical fact and the Congressional Record misinterpret the 14th Amendment to mean anything else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2014, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
If your complaining about an individual using taxpayer money to buy junk, then you should be livid and hanging from the ceiling mad at CEOs getting paid multi million dollar bonuses on taxpayer money or corporate american buying jets and boats from profits created by tax breaks, loopholes and incentives to make profits?
Those multi-million dollar bonuses aren't just piles of cash lying around getting moldy. They're invested into corporations which provide jobs and/or products/services people need/want to buy, and/or profits that fund tens of millions of Americans' retirement years. OR they're invested in municipal bonds, etc., which enable towns, schools, park districts, etc., to fund capital improvement projects which benefit the public. AND the purchase of those jets and boats also provide jobs at those manufacturers, and profits that fund others' retirement years.

Your problem with any of those outcomes is what?

Last edited by InformedConsent; 09-01-2014 at 06:25 AM.. Reason: Typo

Old 09-01-2014, 06:36 AM

9,473 posts, read 5,884,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Now take taxes out of the 1815, rounds to about 1450 a month.

Thats 362 dollars a week take home.

It takes about 400 a month to feed my family of 4. So you're down 25% of your income for food straight out of the gate. Don't forget rent, usually around 5 to 600 a month even for small places. Electricity runs about 100 a month, water about the same.

Now we're down to abut 350 a month. Now fuel. Now clothes. Now if you need internet for your kids to do school work, almost mandatory now. Now a car payment, 200 a month. Now insurance for that car. Have to have a car and insurance to get to work in most places.

The point is, 1800 a month, before taxes, isn't that much to live on.
of course it isn't. But if you have a family of four - it's 3725, so compare oranges to oranges.

Old 09-01-2014, 08:05 AM

3,647 posts, read 2,319,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Maximum Gross Monthly Income Eligibility Standard for Expanded Categorically Eligible Households: $1862
Maximum Gross Monthly Income Eligibility Standard: $1211

SNAP Eligibility | dhs
http://fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/R42054.pdf
The Feeding America truck on Monday morning is sadly, the social event of the week here in town. There are county employees actively recruiting for food stamps. The lower number cited above is what they give as the eligibility cutoff.

Old 09-01-2014, 08:19 AM

11,617 posts, read 5,905,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Those multi-million dollar bonuses aren't just piles of cash lying around getting moldy. They're invested into corporations which provide jobs and/or products/services people need/want to buy, and/or profits that fund tens of millions of Americans' retirement years. OR they're invested in municipal bonds, etc., which enable towns, schools, park districts, etc., to fund capital improvement projects which benefit the public. AND the purchase of those jets and boats also provide jobs at those manufacturers, and profits that fund others' retirement years.

Your problem with any of those outcomes is what?
What really danders my tail feathers is that when I go to the grocery store, I can't by stock in the store.

All they sell are those lousy lottery tickets.

I'd rather take a risk on the company I purchase goods from.

And, I would never buy stock from a broker, as I don't support corporate parasites.

Everything is such a ripoff!

Why can't I buy $10 worth of Safeway when I buy a can of green beans and a quart of Lucerne cottage cheese?

P-isses me off!

P-isses me right off!

Old 09-01-2014, 08:21 AM

24,843 posts, read 32,306,457 times
I know income counts for food stamps.....but, does assets count????

Old 09-01-2014, 08:24 AM

11,617 posts, read 5,905,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
I know income counts for food stamps.....but, does assets count????
Yes.

You can't be an Independent Contractor with assets of a lawnmower and leaf blower and still qualify.

You would have to sell your lawnmower, leaf blower and pickup truck.

The Government doesn't support "independence".

Old 09-01-2014, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperthetic View Post
What really danders my tail feathers is that when I go to the grocery store, I can't by stock in the store.

All they sell are those lousy lottery tickets.

I'd rather take a risk on the company I purchase goods from.
Why don't you, then? Anyone is free to buy shares of grocery store corporations, Kraft Foods, etc. Set up an eTrade (or similar) account.

Old 09-01-2014, 08:55 AM

3,694 posts, read 3,276,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperthetic View Post
Yes.

You can't be an Independent Contractor with assets of a lawnmower and leaf blower and still qualify.

You would have to sell your lawnmower, leaf blower and pickup truck.

The Government doesn't support "independence".
So everyone who owns a car has assets... or is this because being an Independent Contractor presumes they are a business owner?

Old 09-01-2014, 10:27 AM

698 posts, read 638,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
BC being "readily available" holds no water. BC is not 10% fail proof and even if it was, not many rapists wear a condom.

I absolutely agree w your "stop having children" argument. Let's stop shaming abortions and making them so difficult to obtain so both sides can be happy.
Just because your pregnant doesn't mean you have the right to kill a baby. Not judging those that have, none of us are perfect but it is what it is. And if it's in your past, forgive yourself. Doesn't define you.

Adoption is a moral and loving alternative in most cases. Again, nothings perfect but there are plenty of waiting parents able to financially and emotionally care for kids
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies