U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2014, 08:14 PM

6,657 posts, read 6,399,491 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
The logic is very clear. I paid for my car. I buy my own gas. Yes, I drive to work. I pay taxes both income and sales. I pay property tax. I pay.. I pay.. I pay.... Do I get food stamps? No. Do I get Section 8? No. Do I get a break on my health insurance. No. Do I get one single solitary entitlement? No. Do I want someone to give me something for nothing. No. No your not responsible for me... and I'm not responsible for you. But you seem to think I owe you something simply because you exist...... I'm not your mamma. I didn't bring you into this world, and financially I'm not responsible for you. Do I care that you have food and shelter. Yes. I want you to have that. But at the same time, sometimes its time to grow up and become responsible for yourself.
Now wow, don't be putting words in my mouth. I never said any of the stuff your saying. What im saying is if i paid taxes for 20 years and i lose my job tomorrow im not going to let

Continued next post:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2014, 08:19 PM

@aus10

Continued from my last post:

Some con ass tell me that im a bum he is supporting, just because he thinks he is responsible because his job didn't get oursourced etc.

Nor am i entitled to anything, but its reasonable that if i work as hard as you and do the exact same positive things that its not entitlement to expect the same results.

You help pay for the road you drive on, we did. but with your mentality i used an example of if i walk to work or ride a bike and don't use the roads and pay for them can i call you a bum?

Old 09-01-2014, 08:20 PM

66,239 posts, read 30,145,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
Oh so now im a lier now? ok. Check your facts.
I did. I even quoted you, directly.

Quote:
The context of the conversation with calgal was how welfare punishes these who better themselves.
You have forgotten the actual conversation and your actual response. Go back and read it, again:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/36323478-post174.html

Old 09-01-2014, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
I did. I even quoted you, directly.

You have forgotten the actual conversation and your actual response. Go back and read it, again:

No i didn't i used SEC 8 as an example of government punishes these who better themselves.

Old 09-01-2014, 08:25 PM

3,262 posts, read 2,989,456 times
Quote:
Now wow, don't be putting words in my mouth. I never said any of the stuff your saying. What im saying is if i paid taxes for 20 years and i lose my job tomorrow im not going to let

Continued next post:
Quote:
@aus10

Continued from my last post:

Some con ass tell me that im a bum he is supporting, just because he thinks he is responsible because his job didn't get oursourced etc.

Nor am i entitled to anything, but its reasonable that if i work as hard as you and do the exact same positive things that its not entitlement to expect the same results.
You know when most conservatives complain about excessive transfer and welfare programs they aren't complaining about the person who contributed to the system for 20 years, needs help for a couple months to a couple years due to some event, and then gets back on their own feet again.

Pretending otherwise either is a disingenuous argument or implies a serious misunderstanding of the other side.

P.S. -- Is it really that hard to put a single coherent comment in a single post?

Old 09-01-2014, 08:30 PM

11,780 posts, read 8,562,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALackOfCreativity View Post
You know when most conservatives complain about excessive transfer and welfare programs they aren't complaining about the person who contributed to the system for 20 years, needs help for a couple months to a couple years due to some event, and then gets back on their own feet again.

Pretending otherwise either is a disingenuous argument or implies a serious misunderstanding of the other side.

P.S. -- Is it really that hard to put a single coherent comment in a single post?
This forum is full of conservatives that do exactly that.

Old 09-01-2014, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALackOfCreativity View Post

My device is limited. But the truth is like foodstamps most are working and contributing. Just take a look at all the threads on welfare. You guys make it sound like everybody is a bum and lazy etc. I find that to be offensive and classism.

Old 09-01-2014, 08:31 PM

3,694 posts, read 3,274,668 times
Quote:

Continued next post:
Excuse me? Your post said... and I quote..."That argument has no logic? hmmm do you own a car, yes? Do you drive to work? Am i responsible to pay for your luxury of driving if i walk or bike to work? Have you used library, police, fire service etc this year? I haven't. Am i responsible for keeping you safe and your property safe?"

And I failed to answer one of your questions. No I haven't used a library, police or fire services this year. I also haven't had to use them for the last 34 years. You see what it comes down to really is.. are you a net provider or a net user. You mentioned that as a college student you couldn't receive food stamps or section 8 housing assistance. All I am getting at is the amount that most of us pay or have paid over the course of our lives is a whole lot more than the services we've received. When you've paid 100's of Thousand's of Dollars in taxes, social security, property taxes, business taxes, and all the other government red-tape fee's that some of us have, you too will question where your money is going.... I guarantee it!

I can say the ONLY thing that I use probably more than you do is the roads. And I pay for those not only through my tax dollars (locally through my property taxes and for interstate and state highways through my state and federal taxes)... but also through every single gallon of gas I buy. I also pay school tax even though I have no children in school. Most of these I'm happy to pay. Schools in particular. But.. as a taxpayer... I do have some right to say how my tax dollars are spent. Correct???

Old 09-01-2014, 08:32 PM

1,970 posts, read 1,482,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
This really opened my eyes. $1815/month is considered poor and qualified for food stamp:

http://www.lawhelp.org/files/7C92C43...glish_2011.pdf

"Food stamps are given to a “household.” A household is everyone who lives together and cooks meals
together.

● Your household must have low income. In general, your gross monthly income must be less than
$1,815 per month for 1 person, $2,452 per month for 2 people, $3,089 per month for 3 people, and
$3,725 per month for 4 people. "

Note: all illegal immigrants would qualify for food stamp as they are "victim of trafficking."

I surely missed a lot of food stamps in my early days!!!

Apparently only for some. I am on a fixed income that is less than your stated amount and I don't qualify.

Old 09-01-2014, 08:38 PM

66,239 posts, read 30,145,317 times
Quote:
No i didn't i used SEC 8 as an example of government punishes these who better themselves.
Not until AFTER you incorrectly asserted that college students are ineligible for food stamps. Again, read your own words:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies