Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2014, 08:15 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
We're all glad you joined the ****-show.

Eligibility | Food and Nutrition Service

They aren't lazy but they very well could be dead or permanently disabled. I don't think you'll find anyone who is worried about providing assistance to veterans, their spouses or surviving family members.
Dead people use food stamps?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2014, 08:39 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,461,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Dead people use food stamps?
We're not talking about voting democrats in power here. We're talking about the survivors of dead soldiers, their families that were left behind.

Old 07-16-2014, 09:06 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,455,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
The point is, quit having babies, get off your a** and get a J-O-B

Millions of food stamp recipients actually have jobs; earned income enjoys a 20% disregard for SNAP eligibility. (e.g. $1000/mo earned income = $800/mo for calculating food stamps.

Old 07-16-2014, 09:13 PM

32,062 posts, read 15,058,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
The point is, quit having babies, get off your a** and get a J-O-B
My niece, who is a conservative by the way, has 2 kids. She has no education other than high school and that was a GED, So tell me what kind of job she could get that would pay her to allow her to have her own place while raising her kids. She can't afford it so she lives off food stamps and lives with her mother. Wow, great life

Old 07-17-2014, 06:43 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,973,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
My niece, who is a conservative by the way, has 2 kids. She has no education other than high school and that was a GED, So tell me what kind of job she could get that would pay her to allow her to have her own place while raising her kids. She can't afford it so she lives off food stamps and lives with her mother. Wow, great life
Why did she have 2 children she can't afford? Actions have consequences. That "great life" is one she chose. Sadly, she's also making my life a little harder, because I'm supporting her poor decisions, but I didn't make that choice.

Old 07-17-2014, 07:25 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,386,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post

Their idea is your sister should have never had the children. Don't forget abortion is bad, and even accidental pregnancy can happen with birth control. Your sister should just not have sex unless she is financially independent.

Basically thats the conservative talking point and view.

Old 07-17-2014, 08:04 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,973,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Their idea is your sister should have never had the children. Don't forget abortion is bad, and even accidental pregnancy can happen with birth control. Your sister should just not have sex unless she is financially independent.

Basically thats the conservative talking point and view.
Why is that such a bad thing? Having sex, which could result in children, when you are NOT financially independent means you become a thief. You take something that doesn't belong to you.

Two "accidental" pregnancies? That's not an accident. That's either incredibly dumb or incredibly immoral. And if she was in a relationship at the time, and now is not, it's worse. Because not only did she have children she can't afford, she had them with a man that wouldn't help shoulder the responsibility.

Old 07-17-2014, 08:24 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,386,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Why is that such a bad thing? Having sex, which could result in children, when you are NOT financially independent means you become a thief. You take something that doesn't belong to you.

Two "accidental" pregnancies? That's not an accident. That's either incredibly dumb or incredibly immoral. And if she was in a relationship at the time, and now is not, it's worse. Because not only did she have children she can't afford, she had them with a man that wouldn't help shoulder the responsibility.
Do you know what financial independence means?

It means you are independent from work, never have to worry about money again, ever.

So about 5% of the total population should have children from this point of view.

I make good money, have what should be a stable job, have savings, and am prepared for a long stint on unemployment if that were to happen to me.

But that doesn't mean I'll find a job or that I am financially independent from the system. I have two children, I suppose they should just starve if something terrible happens where I can't work.

I was on food stamps a long time ago. It helped me get to where I am today, and I've more then paid back in taxes what I drew from the system.

Should the food stamp program be reformed? Sure, no one needs to buy cokes with tax payer money they haven't earned. However, it is a vital program. People have children, run into bad spells and need help. In the richest country in the world, there is no reason for someone who is working 40 hrs a week, or did and was laid off for no fault of their own and is actively looking for new employment, to starve.

Old 07-17-2014, 06:04 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,737,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccdscott View Post
Yet another SNAP hating thread. Yippee.

I wish conservatives hold up their end of the bargain when they talk about all the other waste in government. Makes me think that you hate the thought of people not going hungry.

Sigh.
So you think government must supply all our needs?

Old 07-17-2014, 06:16 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,368,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post

Turns out that Sex is pretty hardwired into most humans. I know, gasp! Ahhh but to you sex is....immoral.

Hey welcome to reality, and the cruel evil things our biology does to us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies